FORUMS

LG Stylo 5 looking for S-off, unlock bootloader, root info/help?

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By evilbob01, Junior Member on 8th January 2020, 05:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi Everyone,
I just upgraded from a Samsung S5 to an LG Stylo 5 LG LM-Q720VS (Verizon US). Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for general information about the phone I've searched for "LG Stylo 5" and Q720VS and not had much luck. Is there an XDA forum for the Stylo 5? Is it just really that unpopular?

I'm specifically looking to Unlock the Bootloader Install TWRP, and LineageOS (or any rom without Verizon Bloat) and have root.

Thanks for reading, Happy 2020!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evilbob01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift evilbob01 Ad-Free
11th January 2020, 03:17 PM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbob01

Hi Everyone,

I just upgraded from a Samsung S5 to an LG Stylo 5 LG LM-Q720VS (Verizon US). Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for general information about the phone I've searched for "LG Stylo 5" and Q720VS and not had much luck. Is there an XDA forum for the Stylo 5? Is it just really that unpopular?

I'm specifically looking to Unlock the Bootloader Install TWRP, and LineageOS (or any rom without Verizon Bloat) and have root.

Thanks for reading, Happy 2020!

Verizon device have locked bootloaders, this prevents a lot of Verizon devices from ever gaining root and the bootloader can't be unlocked, which means TWRP and Magisk can never be safely flashed on your device. The only hope that Verizon devices have of being rooted is if one of the universal rooting apps on android and the universal rooting programs on PC just happens to have an exploit that works on the device in question.

All I can say is try all of these apps and programs that you can find and hope for the best, you might get lucky, but I doubt it. Don't ask for examples of these apps and programs, there are too many to name, just look for as many different kinds of rooting apps/programs that you can find and try them.

My REAL advice is, if you like rooting and customizing your devices, you need to completely avoid buying Verizon devices and choose non-Verizon devices. If you are on the Verizon network, you would be better off to look on Swappa and find an unlocked/unlockable device that can be used on the Verizon network that also has root, TWRP and custom ROMs available. It is always best to do your research to see what devices have root and custom support BEFORE you buy the device, instead of buying the device first and then hoping that there is something available for it. When you buy a device without doing this research, you take your chances because it is a shot in the dark.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
12th January 2020, 06:28 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Thanks for the reply, It's reasonable and good advice.

I'm stuck with Verizon as no other carrier can service my rural US location, The Stylo 5 was free due to a billing error and a sale (no fees, or anything) so I figured why not. I'm familiar with the universal root applications you mentioned and am prepared to try them but I was hoping someone had found success and I simply missed the post somewhere in my searches. I'll put in some effort and report back here if I have any luck.

Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to evilbob01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift evilbob01 Ad-Free
12th January 2020, 10:10 PM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbob01

Thanks for the reply, It's reasonable and good advice.

I'm stuck with Verizon as no other carrier can service my rural US location, The Stylo 5 was free due to a billing error and a sale (no fees, or anything) so I figured why not. I'm familiar with the universal root applications you mentioned and am prepared to try them but I was hoping someone had found success and I simply missed the post somewhere in my searches. I'll put in some effort and report back here if I have any luck.

Thanks again!

The universal apps and programs have been almost useless since the release of Marshmallow/Nougat.

Btw, I forgot to mention in my previous reply that S-off is a HTC thing, other brands don't use S-off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
20th February 2020, 01:39 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Can the stylo 5 be rooted for T-Mobile?
23rd February 2020, 10:49 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
Stylo 5 / LM-Q720PS from Boost Mobile? Can you help me please ROOT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

Verizon device have locked bootloaders, this prevents a lot of Verizon devices from ever gaining root and the bootloader can't be unlocked, which means TWRP and Magisk can never be safely flashed on your device. The only hope that Verizon devices have of being rooted is if one of the universal rooting apps on android and the universal rooting programs on PC just happens to have an exploit that works on the device in question.

All I can say is try all of these apps and programs that you can find and hope for the best, you might get lucky, but I doubt it. Don't ask for examples of these apps and programs, there are too many to name, just look for as many different kinds of rooting apps/programs that you can find and try them.

My REAL advice is, if you like rooting and customizing your devices, you need to completely avoid buying Verizon devices and choose non-Verizon devices. If you are on the Verizon network, you would be better off to look on Swappa and find an unlocked/unlockable device that can be used on the Verizon network that also has root, TWRP and custom ROMs available. It is always best to do your research to see what devices have root and custom support BEFORE you buy the device, instead of buying the device first and then hoping that there is something available for it. When you buy a device without doing this research, you take your chances because it is a shot in the dark.

First time/new user Thankful found this network of helpful users I found. Can you or someone please help me with how to root my stylo-5 / LM-Q720PS for Boost Mobile. Thank you again for all your time and help. It seems like you know what your talking about Thank you.
24th February 2020, 12:10 AM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Details_Count_Lifestyle

First time/new user Thankful found this network of helpful users I found. Can you or someone please help me with how to root my stylo-5 / LM-Q720PS for Boost Mobile. Thank you again for all your time and help. It seems like you know what your talking about Thank you.

I'm almost certain that the bootloader is locked on that device. You need to verify whether it is locked or unlocked. If it is locked, that rules out using TWRP or Magisk to root the device and leaves you with the same options as I described in my post that you quoted when you made your reply, which is, to use the universal apps and PC programs designed to root android devices. But, to be honest, I doubt any if them will work, but it is worth trying.

Supposedly, this method will unlock your bootloader:

https://www.androidnature.com/how-to...ommands-steps/

If that actually works, then you should be able to use Magisk to root your device. The Magisk method will require you to modify the boot.img in your device yourself, but it's easy, it's just an app and a few clicks to generate the modified boot.img. Try the unlock method that I linked, if it works, then I'll help you with the next stage in the process. If it doesn't work, you will have to resort to using the universal apps and programs that I mentioned.

Just do some searches for:

"Apps to root android"

And

"PC programs to root android"

Try all of them that you can find.

2nd March 2020, 10:43 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Just some Lg Stylo 5 love baby
Since he/she never responded I am going to try the steps mentioned, just purchased me Lg Stylo 5 from eBay for a cool $65, got a great deal, only problem is the fingerprint scanner is damaged but it's a cheap fix. Its the METRO PCS version so I'm pretty sure it's unlockable. I really appreciate your help and would love to see more development and support for the Lg Stylo 5 from the best forum ever!!!

Update... Went into developer options and unlocked the Bootloader then powered off, then powered on holding down and the power button, at the splash screen I briefly released the power button then immediately pressed it again while still holding the volume down button, this gave me the promising white screen that reads do you want to erase all data yes or no, I clicked no. But this is progress, but I can't get into Bootloader mode or downloading mode, I would love if someone can figure this out, I will keep trying!
11th March 2020, 09:00 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianswanson2011

Since he/she never responded I am going to try the steps mentioned, just purchased me Lg Stylo 5 from eBay for a cool $65, got a great deal, only problem is the fingerprint scanner is damaged but it's a cheap fix. Its the METRO PCS version so I'm pretty sure it's unlockable. I really appreciate your help and would love to see more development and support for the Lg Stylo 5 from the best forum ever!!!

Update... Went into developer options and unlocked the Bootloader then powered off, then powered on holding down and the power button, at the splash screen I briefly released the power button then immediately pressed it again while still holding the volume down button, this gave me the promising white screen that reads do you want to erase all data yes or no, I clicked no. But this is progress, but I can't get into Bootloader mode or downloading mode, I would love if someone can figure this out, I will keep trying!

Got a free one on the way now. Were you able to unlock and or root?
11th March 2020, 10:23 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by careloads

Got a free one on the way now. Were you able to unlock and or root?

I can't unlock the Bootloader, Lg doesn't support development on there site for this model, so no unlock code☹️

Maybe you will have better luck? Let me know
17th March 2020, 08:47 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyquagsire23

Hey, just a status update. If you want root and/or custom ROMs on a Stylo 4, do not update beyond 20c and disable automatic updates. Currently working on porting TWRP, but as it stands I have what is effectively a bootloader unlock method. Release will be no sooner than June though but I'm hoping to have everything streamlined for the Stylo 4 /5 (and other LG phones) by then. https://twitter.com/ShinyQuagsire/st...49946141806592

Just an FYI @ rooting/bootloader unlocking, developing a method at the moment using a Stylo 4, however I have a Stylo 5 and will be porting to it next. Highly suggest disabling automatic updates in the meantime.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shinyquagsire23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shinyquagsire23 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lg-stylo-5, stylo-5-verizon, stylo5 q720vs, stylo5-root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)