FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Lost root somehow, please help me fix it.

48 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By drazenm, Member on 28th November 2019, 11:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone, my phone is samsung note 10 plus, I have twrp installed and rooted with magisk, I'm on Android 9, I somehow lost root, have no idea how, I'm very careful not to allow updates or google to install something there might affect my root.

when I go to magisk I'm getting the image that I've attached, when I click on install magisk, download the zip file and try to install it I get an an error as show in the 2nd image, saying unsupported/unknown image forma. I've also attached the log file. Is there any way for me to fix this without flashing the rom and start from scratch? Can I repair it somehow, maybe with TWRP?

Thank you all in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191128-205956.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	4888789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191128-210548.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	4888791  
Attached Files
File Type: log magisk_install_log_2019-11-28T17:23:29Z.log - [Click for QR Code] (408 Bytes, 6 views)
28th November 2019, 02:07 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
you have boot.img of the device?
i thought you can only install magisk in 2 way by flashing boot.img unto magisk or flashing magisk.zip unto TWRP as recovery partition

#edit how did you install magisk in the beginning? thats how you will install it again

there a chance you will get your device brick if you install magisk wrong way (A/B partition) but since you already install it previously just reinstall it back
28th November 2019, 02:17 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Hmmm, where should I have the boot. Img you mean as if I backed it up on my pc? Or I can download it and use it?

Now I'm confused :/
29th November 2019, 02:37 AM |#4  

More
Before i explain i don't take responsibility for any damages caused on your device if you decided to follow my tutorial .

So basically there's 2 way to install Magisk

Image Patching - Basically this is what most people do they find stock boot.img and recovery.img for there devices
1. Copy the Stock boot.img or recovery.img to your device
2. Download and install the latest Magisk Manager
If you are patching a recovery image, manually check “Recovery Mode” in Advanced Settings!
Press Install → Install → Select and Patch a File, and select your stock boot or recovery image file
Magisk Manager will patch the image, and store it in [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.img
Now pull the magisk_patched.img with ADB:
adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img
Flash the patched boot.img or recovery.img to your device and reboot.
For most devices, here is the fastboot command:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img or
fastboot flash recovery magisk_patched.img if you are patching a recovery image
Now you are rooted

Custom Recovery - This is when you do not have Stock boot.img or recovery.img for your device
( High Chance Of Phone Getting Bricks )
1. Download and install the latest Magisk Manager
2. Download Magisk.zip (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/) choose the Latest Release
3.Now reboot to recovery (TWRP, CWM ... ETC)
if you use stock recovery it should say "apply update via sdcard"
then just choose Magisk.zip
4. Now if you have TWRP just click Install and choose Magisk.zip
5. wait for the process
6. Now you are Rooted (hopefully xD )
The Following User Says Thank You to ineedroot69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ineedroot69 Ad-Free
29th November 2019, 06:56 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedroot69

Before i explain i don't take responsibility for any damages caused on your device if you decided to follow my tutorial .

So basically there's 2 way to install Magisk

Image Patching - Basically this is what most people do they find stock boot.img and recovery.img for there devices
1. Copy the Stock boot.img or recovery.img to your device
2. Download and install the latest Magisk Manager
If you are patching a recovery image, manually check “Recovery Mode” in Advanced Settings!
Press Install → Install → Select and Patch a File, and select your stock boot or recovery image file
Magisk Manager will patch the image, and store it in [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.img
Now pull the magisk_patched.img with ADB:
adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img
Flash the patched boot.img or recovery.img to your device and reboot.
For most devices, here is the fastboot command:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img or
fastboot flash recovery magisk_patched.img if you are patching a recovery image
Now you are rooted

Custom Recovery - This is when you do not have Stock boot.img or recovery.img for your device
( High Chance Of Phone Getting Bricks )
1. Download and install the latest Magisk Manager
2. Download Magisk.zip (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/) choose the Latest Release
3.Now reboot to recovery (TWRP, CWM ... ETC)
if you use stock recovery it should say "apply update via sdcard"
then just choose Magisk.zip
4. Now if you have TWRP just click Install and choose Magisk.zip
5. wait for the process
6. Now you are Rooted (hopefully xD )

Thank you very much.

OK, I tried method 2 and didn't work. I downloaded my stock firmware and I have the image file, I can try the first one to place the image in the root of the phone, patch the file with magisk and reflesh it with Odin?

Will I lose all my stuff on the phone by doing this? Thank you
29th November 2019, 10:11 AM |#6  

More
i remember using odin back in 2012 for my samsung galaxy y i didn't know people still using that thing

i search your device on google and it said samsung provide the kernel for it ( https://www.xda-developers.com/samsu...urce-code/amp/ ) thats a good start for rooting your device try looking for it

also visit https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10 it is dedicated section for your device model which means all threads and post are for your device model
29th November 2019, 11:24 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:

i remember using odin back in 2012 for my samsung galaxy y i didn't know people still using that thing

i search your device on google and it said samsung provide the kernel for it ( https://www.xda-developers.com/samsu...urce-code/amp/ ) thats a good start for rooting your device try looking for it

also visit https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10 it is dedicated section for your device model which means all threads and post are for your device model

Im already rooted....

Im having issues how to fix the root as i somehow don't have it any more and i don't want to reflash my rom if I'll lose all my stuff on the phone. Im looking how to fix the root.
29th November 2019, 12:07 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazenm

Im already rooted....

Im having issues how to fix the root as i somehow don't have it any more and i don't want to reflash my rom if I'll lose all my stuff on the phone. Im looking how to fix the root.

He's just saying to re-root it... If you lost root it's more than likely gone and you'll have to do whatever you did to gain root in the beginning. I constantly backup all my apps, data, pictures and everything to my little USB OTG thumb drive and to my laptop. I do this daily because many times a factory reset is what has to happen depending on what's going on. You can grab a Samsung micro sdcard 128 GB for $18-$19 or so online or thumb drives like I have a SanDisk 128gb.. it was $14. Just some thoughts for moving ahead so you don't have to go through this again. Lots of good suggestions here. If I were you I'd hit the "thanks" button on whenever took time to stop and search for answers to your issue. That's what we do here on xda. (: I could care less about racking up "thanks" count just throwing that out there so that you know..

Good luck on getting her all fixed. The note 10 is a real gem!

Sent from my marlin using XDA Labs
29th November 2019, 12:37 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash713

He's just saying to re-root it... If you lost root it's more than likely gone and you'll have to do whatever you did to gain root in the beginning. I constantly backup all my apps, data, pictures and everything to my little USB OTG thumb drive and to my laptop. I do this daily because many times a factory reset is what has to happen depending on what's going on. You can grab a Samsung micro sdcard 128 GB for $18-$19 or so online or thumb drives like I have a SanDisk 128gb.. it was $14. Just some thoughts for moving ahead so you don't have to go through this again. Lots of good suggestions here. If I were you I'd hit the "thanks" button on whenever took time to stop and search for answers to your issue. That's what we do here on xda. (: I could care less about racking up "thanks" count just throwing that out there so that you know..

Good luck on getting her all fixed. The note 10 is a real gem!

Sent from my marlin using XDA Labs

I can re root it, that's not the problem, i can do it with the patched magisk boot image through Odin, im asking if that's gonna wipe off everything on my phone. Because i can't backup certain things without titanium backup, and titanium requires root access. Thank you for your help and everyone's else's im well aware and grateful for the attempts, suggestions etc.
29th November 2019, 02:46 PM |#10  

More
no it's not gonna wipe anything thats why magisk is called "systemless" . It will essentially modify the system without actually modifying it.

if you flash magisk_patched.zip nothing noticeable will happen except you will have root access
all your installed application will be there

also i notice this some people actually copy magisk_patched.zip thats really bad idea you need to let Magisk generate it.

For example you have 2 phones same model and same build version .

You generate magisk_patched.zip on the phone A
then decided to copy magisk_patched.zip into phone B ofcourse it will still works

but since you just copy it and didnt let magisk generate it . It would not make backup for boot or recovery partition
if you uninstall Magisk on your phone B .There is really high super ultra mega chance of your phone getting bricks. Also it would not revert any changes done on the period while Magisk is installed
29th November 2019, 03:10 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:

no it's not gonna wipe anything thats why magisk is called "systemless" . It will essentially modify the system without actually modifying it.

if you flash magisk_patched.zip nothing noticeable will happen except you will have root access
all your installed application will be there

also i notice this some people actually copy magisk_patched.zip thats really bad idea you need to let Magisk generate it.

For example you have 2 phones same model and same build version .

You generate magisk_patched.zip on the phone A
then decided to copy magisk_patched.zip into phone B ofcourse it will still works

but since you just copy it and didnt let magisk generate it . It would not make backup for boot or recovery partition
if you uninstall Magisk on your phone B .There is really high super ultra mega chance of your phone getting bricks. Also it would not revert any changes done on the period while Magisk is installed

Thanks for the help, please correct me if im wrong.

Im supposed to copy the AP . md5 file to the root directory of my phone, patch it with magisk, get the patched file, copy it on the pc, connect phone to the pc, get it into download mode, flash the patched file with Odin and that should be it?

Or maybe i can do it with twrp?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)