FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Palm phone firmware?

1,522 posts
Thanks Meter: 254
 
By Charkatak, Senior Member on 17th August 2019, 02:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

I tried searching xda forums but didn't find a place to ask the question. I have Verizon Palm phone 2018 model, but since Palm released this phone as standalone and sells on their website. I wanted to find out if anyone knows where or when can I find a firmware for the device, as I want to debrand it.
6th September 2019, 10:52 AM |#2  
Charkatak's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag WA
Thanks Meter: 254
 
More
Any info about this? Really want to flash my Verizon branded Palm 2018 to an unlocked firmware
9th September 2019, 09:25 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70
 
More
There seems to be very little discussion on the Palm Phone PVG100 here on XDA. We should start to see a lot more people on here looking to customize it, since it's a bargain (1/4 retail) as a refurb on eBay. I just picked one up and am curious if anyone has unlocked the bootloader, loaded TWRP, and rooted this thing.
18th September 2019, 07:42 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I too am looking for a rom for this. I picked one of these up from verizon, and have been using it on tmobile with no problem, but want to get rid of the Verizon apps and branding.

Also, there seems to be MUCH room for improvement on battery life if the ROM is cleaned up.

It's a really nifty little device, just needs some TLC.

I was able to get to the bootloader via typical ADB commands, but can't locate any kind of ROM dump for these. I'm really surprised there isn't more discussion about these little buggers.
23rd September 2019, 01:41 PM |#5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Palm PVG100
Hi everyone

I'm trying to modify my Palm too and it's curious to see that no information nor material is available online anywhere
I've started a new thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...pment-t3971141
I was able to do something, but I still need help with what i say in my thread.
Basically I would like to take a full backup image of the device before starting tinkering with it, but I can't figure out how to make QPST software (Qualcomm Product Support Tool) show the content of the eMMC memory...
Anyone's help or collaboration for this project would be appreciated a lot!
Thanks!
24th September 2019, 07:04 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70
 
More
We're you actually in the bootloader or recovery? I haven't been able to get into bootloader on mine. Any success unlocking bootloader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol6v

I too am looking for a rom for this. I picked one of these up from verizon, and have been using it on tmobile with no problem, but want to get rid of the Verizon apps and branding.

Also, there seems to be MUCH room for improvement on battery life if the ROM is cleaned up.

It's a really nifty little device, just needs some TLC.

I was able to get to the bootloader via typical ADB commands, but can't locate any kind of ROM dump for these. I'm really surprised there isn't more discussion about these little buggers.



---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Are you sure you want to use QPST. I have used it before to unlock LTE bands on a watch, but not for anything with the images / backups. I think the progression is unlocked bootloader, twrp compiled and loaded, then root. I also haven't seen the Pepito source code anywhere. Without that I'm not sure you will get far. I think the biggest hurdle right now is unlocking bootloader.

I've tried many root tools, nothing works.

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSeeker1

Hi everyone

I'm trying to modify my Palm too and it's curious to see that no information nor material is available online anywhere
I've started a new thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...pment-t3971141
I was able to do something, but I still need help with what i say in my thread.
Basically I would like to take a full backup image of the device before starting tinkering with it, but I can't figure out how to make QPST software (Qualcomm Product Support Tool) show the content of the eMMC memory...
Anyone's help or collaboration for this project would be appreciated a lot!
Thanks!

24th September 2019, 07:21 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70
 
More
If you do boot into recovery, do not run Emergency Download Mode. You'll have to let the battery slowly die before you can do anything with your device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190909_153436.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	4826653  
24th September 2019, 09:27 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Clarifications
Ok, thank you for your comments, guys, I really appreciate it.
Please feel free to correct me at any time, because I might make mistakes.
Just to make things clear:
  • I don't know exactly what you mean by "getting into the bootloader"; what I can tell you is that I was able to get into recovery and that in Settings->System->Developer Options (I'm sure you know that they are unlocked by tapping many times on the buid number), the Palm PVG100 (Pepito) has a switch that says "OEM Unlocking (Allow the boot loader to be unlocked)"; can you please comment on this?
    It's not mandatory to use QPST, any solution is good for me (by the way, ONE OF THE PURPOSES FOR WHICH I WANT TO HACK INTO THE PHONE IS TO UNLOCK ITALIAN BANDS LIKE YOU!), but, as you say, no ROM exists on the web, so we have to find a way to extract the phone ROM and to decompile it (do you agree?).
    TWRP doesn't exist for this phone, but, to compile it we need to extract protected files from the phone, right? (Please let me know if you know of a method to compile it without root access, nor ROM files)
    In my opinion FIRST STEP IS TO HAVE A BACKUP IN CASE OF A BRICK, BEFORE STARTING TINKERING WITH RECOVERY, BOOTLOADER, PARTITIONS, ROM, FLASHERS AND ROOTING! (No?)
    About EDL mode the problem is non-existent, I found out that, while in EDL mode, the Pepito can be restarted 100% of the time keeping the power button pressed for 2 minutes (120 seconds) (you can use a tight rubber band for this or any other trick), please test it

I've just had an idea, which requires strong reverse engineering skills. I have 2 Pepito phones; the first one has the most recent version of the software (1AGN), while the second one has the PREVIOUS ONE (1AGL) (see following link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-221025/ )
This update must be doing something at an elevated privilege level. What if one sniffs what tnis update is doing when I force the update or reverse engineers the package obtained from the mother company as soon as it gets downloaded? Might it have information on how to sign software to make stock recovery ADB sideload fuction accept them? Or maybe provide us with information on how to enable write operation on protected partitions?
25th September 2019, 01:31 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70
 
More
Ok. I can answer some of your questions here.

1. You haven't been in the bootloader, I'm not sure if there is one.

2. The OEM unlock bootloader in Dev options doesn't do anything but allow your phone to function (from that image) if you do unlock it. It's a security thing.

3. You unlock bootloader using fastboot commands, but Verizon is known for really locking down the bootloader.

4. I also have 2 phones on the different os versions as you have for a similar reason. I was hoping the root tools (kingroot, kingoroot, etc..) would be able to root one of them. Not the case. Both are solid from the standpoint of using standard root tools. I haven't seen many of them succeed after Android 7.1 anyhow.

5. Are you sure your bands are not already unlocked? Even if you get QPST to unlock the bands, it may not contain any data. So you will need to find another device with those bands unlocked to copy the data from (and that still may not work well). At this point I stopped my unlocking of bands project, as I'd didn't want to make a mistake and cook my brain. There has been very little success with band unlocking unless those bands already contained the data to function. Be careful with QPST.

6. I'm not a developer, so I can't really help with anything you are looking to do, but this is an amazing device and deserves the attention it needs to be rooted for at the very least better power management. Maybe underclocking.
25th September 2019, 07:08 AM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensdeals

Ok. I can answer some of your questions here.

1. You haven't been in the bootloader, I'm not sure if there is one.

2. The OEM unlock bootloader in Dev options doesn't do anything but allow your phone to function (from that image) if you do unlock it. It's a security thing.

3. You unlock bootloader using fastboot commands, but Verizon is known for really locking down the bootloader.

4. I also have 2 phones on the different os versions as you have for a similar reason. I was hoping the root tools (kingroot, kingoroot, etc..) would be able to root one of them. Not the case. Both are solid from the standpoint of using standard root tools. I haven't seen many of them succeed after Android 7.1 anyhow.

5. Are you sure your bands are not already unlocked? Even if you get QPST to unlock the bands, it may not contain any data. So you will need to find another device with those bands unlocked to copy the data from (and that still may not work well). At this point I stopped my unlocking of bands project, as I'd didn't want to make a mistake and cook my brain. There has been very little success with band unlocking unless those bands already contained the data to function. Be careful with QPST.

6. I'm not a developer, so I can't really help with anything you are looking to do, but this is an amazing device and deserves the attention it needs to be rooted for at the very least better power management. Maybe underclocking.

Thank you very much for your post, it sheds some lights on the subject.
Well, you say "I'm not sure there is a bootloader", but bootloader is a mandatory piece of the boot chain followed by any device or computer able to boot operating systems, so every device has one; the device might not have a fastboot interface implemented, which is different...but yet annoying...
Standard root tools don't work, I agree, that's why we are looking for developer or board tinkerers help here
I'm 100% sure those bands are not unlocked, because my Italia Samsung Galaxy S5 sees LTE connection, while the Palm doesn't. Also see Palm specs here:
https://www.gsmarena.com/palm_palm-9290.php
It states:

Network
Technology
GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands
HSDPA 850 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G bands
LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 66(1700/2100)
Speed
HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat4 150/50 Mbps

You can see Italian LTE bands here:
https://www.frequencycheck.com/countries/italy
It states:

LTE
Name
Interface
B3 (1800 +)
LTE
B7 (2600)
LTE
B20 (800 DD)
LTE

I also contacted Palm support for the bands, requesting to unlock them in the firmware and they told me "Support for those bands is a hardware limitation, rather than something we can control in firmware. Unfortunately, those phones can't be made compatible with some 4G networks."...BUT DO YOU BELIEVE THEM?...
So, yes, I do have another device with those bands unlocked if needed.
With QPST there's no need to be careful until I find a way to make it communicate in read/write with the Palm (just kidding)
Maybe if someone has opened a Palm phone and seen the internal board and knows how to perform electronic tampering, he can tell us what hardware components are involved in LTE communication (I think its embedded in the CPU...Qualcomm MSM8940 Snapdragon 435 (28 nm)...see the following link: http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=proce...detailed_specs ...it states:
Cellular Communication:
Supported Cellular Data LinksList of supported cellular data links CSD 9.6 kbpsCircuit Switched Data (CSD) is the original data link protocol of GSM. Up to 9600bit/s download speed , GPRS (Class unspecified)General Packet Radio Service , EDGE (Class unspecified)Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution also known as Enhanced GPRS (EGPRS) , UMTS 384 kbps (W-CDMA)Universal Mobile Telecommunications System. UMTS Release '99 data link layer, W-CDMA grants up to 384 kbit/s pocket-switched download speed. , HSUPA (Cat. unspecified)High-Speed Uplink Packet Access is a 3.5G UMTS uplink protocol. , DC-HSDPA 42.2 Mbps (Cat. 24)Dual-carrier HSPA+ 42.2 Mbps , cdmaOne (IS-95) , CDMA2000 1xRTT (IS-2000) , CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0 , CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Revision A , CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Revision B , TD-SCDMATime Division Synchronous Code Division Multiple Access is the implementation of UMTS (3G) cellular network in China. , LTE (Cat. unspecified)LTE (Long Term Evolution) or the E-UTRAN (Evolved Universal Terrestrial Access Network), introduced in 3GPP R8, is the 4G access part of the Evolved Packet System (EPS). , LTE 300 Mbps / 100 Mbps (Cat. 7)More exact values: LTE 301 Mbps / 100.8 Mbps (Cat. 7) data links

So I don't see why it doesn't support Italian bands, it makes no sense to me.
An electronic board tinkerer would help us a lot, possibly shorting some JTAG pins inside, maybe to disable read/write protection and, maybe, enable Emergency Download Mode with COM port in 9006 mode or some Diagnostic modes (not the 9008 mode, which was the only one I was able to achieve!)
)

In this forum where do you ask if you want to ask someone to help you connecting remotely to your phone to do live operations on it, using remote COM port software or remote control software (like TeamViewer) or if you need someone able to tinker with board circuitry?
I'm cooking my brain too and I would like to perform the operations you need too for battery life improvement and for my personal cullture, to possibly become of some help for this community, if someone teaches me these things..
25th September 2019, 02:08 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70
 
More
Internal images and more details are in the FCC docs here

https://fccid.io/2AOETPVG100

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSeeker1

Thank you very much for your post, it sheds some lights on the subject.
Well, you say "I'm not sure there is a bootloader", but bootloader is a mandatory piece of the boot chain followed by any device or computer able to boot operating systems, so every device has one; the device might not have a fastboot interface implemented, which is different...but yet annoying...
Standard root tools don't work, I agree, that's why we are looking for developer or board tinkerers help here
I'm 100% sure those bands are not unlocked, because my Italia Samsung Galaxy S5 sees LTE connection, while the Palm doesn't. Also see Palm specs here:
https://www.gsmarena.com/palm_palm-9290.php
It states:

Network
Technology
GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands
HSDPA 850 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G bands
LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 66(1700/2100)
Speed
HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat4 150/50 Mbps

You can see Italian LTE bands here:
https://www.frequencycheck.com/countries/italy
It states:

LTE
Name
Interface
B3 (1800 +)
LTE
B7 (2600)
LTE
B20 (800 DD)
LTE

I also contacted Palm support for the bands, requesting to unlock them in the firmware and they told me "Support for those bands is a hardware limitation, rather than something we can control in firmware. Unfortunately, those phones can't be made compatible with some 4G networks."...BUT DO YOU BELIEVE THEM?...
So, yes, I do have another device with those bands unlocked if needed.
With QPST there's no need to be careful until I find a way to make it communicate in read/write with the Palm (just kidding)
Maybe if someone has opened a Palm phone and seen the internal board and knows how to perform electronic tampering, he can tell us what hardware components are involved in LTE communication (I think its embedded in the CPU...Qualcomm MSM8940 Snapdragon 435 (28 nm)...see the following link: http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=proce...detailed_specs ...it states:
Cellular Communication:
Supported Cellular Data LinksList of supported cellular data links CSD 9.6 kbpsCircuit Switched Data (CSD) is the original data link protocol of GSM. Up to 9600bit/s download speed , GPRS (Class unspecified)General Packet Radio Service , EDGE (Class unspecified)Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution also known as Enhanced GPRS (EGPRS) , UMTS 384 kbps (W-CDMA)Universal Mobile Telecommunications System. UMTS Release '99 data link layer, W-CDMA grants up to 384 kbit/s pocket-switched download speed. , HSUPA (Cat. unspecified)High-Speed Uplink Packet Access is a 3.5G UMTS uplink protocol. , DC-HSDPA 42.2 Mbps (Cat. 24)Dual-carrier HSPA+ 42.2 Mbps , cdmaOne (IS-95) , CDMA2000 1xRTT (IS-2000) , CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0 , CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Revision A , CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Revision B , TD-SCDMATime Division Synchronous Code Division Multiple Access is the implementation of UMTS (3G) cellular network in China. , LTE (Cat. unspecified)LTE (Long Term Evolution) or the E-UTRAN (Evolved Universal Terrestrial Access Network), introduced in 3GPP R8, is the 4G access part of the Evolved Packet System (EPS). , LTE 300 Mbps / 100 Mbps (Cat. 7)More exact values: LTE 301 Mbps / 100.8 Mbps (Cat. 7) data links

So I don't see why it doesn't support Italian bands, it makes no sense to me.
An electronic board tinkerer would help us a lot, possibly shorting some JTAG pins inside, maybe to disable read/write protection and, maybe, enable Emergency Download Mode with COM port in 9006 mode or some Diagnostic modes (not the 9008 mode, which was the only one I was able to achieve!)
)

In this forum where do you ask if you want to ask someone to help you connecting remotely to your phone to do live operations on it, using remote COM port software or remote control software (like TeamViewer) or if you need someone able to tinker with board circuitry?
I'm cooking my brain too and I would like to perform the operations you need too for battery life improvement and for my personal cullture, to possibly become of some help for this community, if someone teaches me these things..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes