By Charkatak, Senior Member on 17th August 2019, 02:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th November 2019, 08:02 AM |#91  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy20

Mine has arrived.

USB tethering is enabled using the aforementioned app - YAY!!!

It's using 3G/LTE same speed as by old Samsung S4 Mini. The Google 3A I had before this was faster than the Palm for USB tethering. That said I'm quite happy.

Oddly the phone has arrived with no messaging/sms app. Setting up manually...

If you are talking about the Verizon version of the phone, it has the SMS management app, but it's branded for Verizon; it's "Message+". I tried different apps for SMS, some of them had problems, so I ended up using this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...essaging&hl=it
16th November 2019, 03:21 AM |#92  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is there a way to modify apn?
Is there a way to modify apn?
16th November 2019, 08:07 AM |#93  
Thanks Meter: 234

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensdeals

Looks like Update 3 came out last month, but I'm just seeing it now v1AMD-0. Any idea on what's new besides security updates? I see the quick shortcut for screenshots is gone.

The changelog is here btw: https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...m-palm-update/

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence.tan

When Verizon pushed out their most recent update, I kept a copy of "logcat" and copied the URLs of the update packages.

They mainly consist of "delta" upgrade files, which means they only contain the changes since the previous version; not a full copy.

So I don't think they'll be of much use to anybody. But in case you want to have a poke around:

https://cdn2.vzwdm.com/PVG_PVG100_v1AGN-0_v1AMD-0.bin (539 MB)
https://cdn2.vzwdm.com/PVG_PVG100_v1AGL-0_v1AGN-0.bin (102 MB)

Is there a way to manually push these updates? I'm still on v1AGL-0 and when I check for system updates it says 'Your Palm PVG100 is up to date. No update is necessary at this time.', which I wager might be because I'm not on Verizon. The best documentation I could find from some quick searching was this, but it's not particularly clear how that would apply to these files
16th November 2019, 08:36 AM |#94  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
I'm not on Verizon. I have an unlocked phone and am using Google Fi. Still, there is the Verizon boot image, but I assume everyone has that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuds

The changelog is here btw: https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...m-palm-update/

Is there a way to manually push these updates? I'm still on v1AGL-0 and when I check for system updates it says 'Your Palm PVG100 is up to date. No update is necessary at this time.', which I wager might be because I'm not on Verizon. The best documentation I could find from some quick searching was this, but it's not particularly clear how that would apply to these files

16th November 2019, 09:08 AM |#95  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensdeals

I'm not on Verizon. I have an unlocked phone and am using Google Fi. Still, there is the Verizon boot image, but I assume everyone has that.

Super strange. Maybe I'm not getting anything because I leave the thing on life mode all the time, and it has to get something pushed from the carrier side?
16th November 2019, 10:13 AM |#96  

More
Quote:

Is there a way to manually push these updates? I'm still on v1AGL-0 and when I check for system updates it says 'Your Palm PVG100 is up to date.

Try to use VPN with US location. This worked for me.
16th November 2019, 02:36 PM |#97  

More
Quote:

Is there a way to manually push these updates? I'm still on v1AGL-0 and when I check for system updates it says 'Your Palm PVG100 is up to date. No update is necessary at this time.', which I wager might be because I'm not on Verizon.

For me, I had to remove my non-Verizon SIM and restart the phone before it would see and download the latest update. Hopefully that works for you, too.
16th November 2019, 08:24 PM |#98  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemez

Try to use VPN with US location. This worked for me.

I'm actually in the US, so I don't think that's the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrodden

For me, I had to remove my non-Verizon SIM and restart the phone before it would see and download the latest update. Hopefully that works for you, too.

Ah, I'll give that a try, thanks! Now to find a paperclip small enough to eject the SIM tray on this thing...
17th November 2019, 01:30 PM |#99  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSeeker1

If you are talking about the Verizon version of the phone, it has the SMS management app, but it's branded for Verizon; it's "Message+". I tried different apps for SMS, some of them had problems, so I ended up using this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...essaging&hl=it

I figured it just after I posted.

I had a brief reply from Palm about the tethering. They didn't admit the USB tethering could be enabled but let slip they are working on a new version of the Palm. The only detail they gave is it will support wifi/bluetooth/usb tethering - which probably means it's not a Verizon exclusive.

I've got my Palm to a state of usability. Things I'd like to sort but which probably require root are;

1. nuking Google Services apk.
2. Screen wake-up / bleep on 100% charge.

IMO the Palm is the best made phone currently out there, it's beautifully engineered and they haven't skimped on the digitizer which I've found on the other Chinese phones. The camera is punchy and probably a SONY IMX unit. The CPU is a let down but I can hardly complain given how cheap these phones are in the U.S right now.
19th November 2019, 08:11 PM |#100  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
I'm sure at one point I configured the phone well and lost 10% over night with nothing running. Now I loose 56% over 8 hours with nothing running (including airplane mode). Others finding this typical?

I ran adb shell top and found the keyboard app was taking 4-5% CPU all the time regardless whether it was shown. I've used several (simplekeyboard, another one I forget the name off) and they all take the same percentage. I then tried gboard and it's 6%.

Edit - ugh I've just lost 97% in 8 hours with it doing nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-20_19-56-54.png
Views:	18
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	4882321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-20_19-37-31.png
Views:	16
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	4882323  
21st November 2019, 03:59 PM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy20

I'm sure at one point I configured the phone well and lost 10% over night with nothing running. Now I loose 56% over 8 hours with nothing running (including airplane mode). Others finding this typical?

I ran adb shell top and found the keyboard app was taking 4-5% CPU all the time regardless whether it was shown. I've used several (simplekeyboard, another one I forget the name off) and they all take the same percentage. I then tried gboard and it's 6%.

Edit - ugh I've just lost 97% in 8 hours with it doing nothing.

I've had the same issue at the same time that you wrote this! What happened?!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)