Post Reply Email Thread
25th September 2019, 02:08 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Internal images and more details are in the FCC docs here

https://fccid.io/2AOETPVG100

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSeeker1

Thank you very much for your post, it sheds some lights on the subject.
Well, you say "I'm not sure there is a bootloader", but bootloader is a mandatory piece of the boot chain followed by any device or computer able to boot operating systems, so every device has one; the device might not have a fastboot interface implemented, which is different...but yet annoying...
Standard root tools don't work, I agree, that's why we are looking for developer or board tinkerers help here
I'm 100% sure those bands are not unlocked, because my Italia Samsung Galaxy S5 sees LTE connection, while the Palm doesn't. Also see Palm specs here:
https://www.gsmarena.com/palm_palm-9290.php
It states:

Network
Technology
GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands
HSDPA 850 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G bands
LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 66(1700/2100)
Speed
HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat4 150/50 Mbps

You can see Italian LTE bands here:
https://www.frequencycheck.com/countries/italy
It states:

LTE
Name
Interface
B3 (1800 +)
LTE
B7 (2600)
LTE
B20 (800 DD)
LTE

I also contacted Palm support for the bands, requesting to unlock them in the firmware and they told me "Support for those bands is a hardware limitation, rather than something we can control in firmware. Unfortunately, those phones can't be made compatible with some 4G networks."...BUT DO YOU BELIEVE THEM?...
So, yes, I do have another device with those bands unlocked if needed.
With QPST there's no need to be careful until I find a way to make it communicate in read/write with the Palm (just kidding)
Maybe if someone has opened a Palm phone and seen the internal board and knows how to perform electronic tampering, he can tell us what hardware components are involved in LTE communication (I think its embedded in the CPU...Qualcomm MSM8940 Snapdragon 435 (28 nm)...see the following link: http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=proce...detailed_specs ...it states:
Cellular Communication:
Supported Cellular Data LinksList of supported cellular data links CSD 9.6 kbpsCircuit Switched Data (CSD) is the original data link protocol of GSM. Up to 9600bit/s download speed , GPRS (Class unspecified)General Packet Radio Service , EDGE (Class unspecified)Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution also known as Enhanced GPRS (EGPRS) , UMTS 384 kbps (W-CDMA)Universal Mobile Telecommunications System. UMTS Release '99 data link layer, W-CDMA grants up to 384 kbit/s pocket-switched download speed. , HSUPA (Cat. unspecified)High-Speed Uplink Packet Access is a 3.5G UMTS uplink protocol. , DC-HSDPA 42.2 Mbps (Cat. 24)Dual-carrier HSPA+ 42.2 Mbps , cdmaOne (IS-95) , CDMA2000 1xRTT (IS-2000) , CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0 , CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Revision A , CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Revision B , TD-SCDMATime Division Synchronous Code Division Multiple Access is the implementation of UMTS (3G) cellular network in China. , LTE (Cat. unspecified)LTE (Long Term Evolution) or the E-UTRAN (Evolved Universal Terrestrial Access Network), introduced in 3GPP R8, is the 4G access part of the Evolved Packet System (EPS). , LTE 300 Mbps / 100 Mbps (Cat. 7)More exact values: LTE 301 Mbps / 100.8 Mbps (Cat. 7) data links

So I don't see why it doesn't support Italian bands, it makes no sense to me.
An electronic board tinkerer would help us a lot, possibly shorting some JTAG pins inside, maybe to disable read/write protection and, maybe, enable Emergency Download Mode with COM port in 9006 mode or some Diagnostic modes (not the 9008 mode, which was the only one I was able to achieve!)
)

In this forum where do you ask if you want to ask someone to help you connecting remotely to your phone to do live operations on it, using remote COM port software or remote control software (like TeamViewer) or if you need someone able to tinker with board circuitry?
I'm cooking my brain too and I would like to perform the operations you need too for battery life improvement and for my personal cullture, to possibly become of some help for this community, if someone teaches me these things..

26th September 2019, 07:19 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensdeals

Internal images and more details are in the FCC docs here

https://fccid.io/2AOETPVG100

Wow, thanks, interesting documentation!
26th September 2019, 02:46 PM |#13  

More
Excuse me, looking at the FCC documentation, is there a way to find out if the phone hardware supports Italian LTE bands or not? Please explain exactly what information to look at for understanding this.

Thanks!
26th September 2019, 09:02 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This signed at the bottom of the fcc page:
Quote:

This device contains GSM/WCDMA/LTE functions that are not operational in U.S. Territories. This filing is only applicable for 700 MHz MBS, 850 MHz Cell, 1700 MHz AWS and 1900 MHz PCS operations

That is even if it has other bands (and it does have them), they weren't tested by FCC.
27th September 2019, 07:51 PM |#15  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemez

This signed at the bottom of the fcc page:

That is even if it has other bands (and it does have them), they weren't tested by FCC.

So Palm probably told me a lie and the hardware supports other bands
27th September 2019, 08:05 PM |#16  

More
There is one additional thing for which I wanted to gain access to the ROM, to root and to custom ROMs and recoveries. Maybe you can help me with this.

I wrote to Palm company, asking:

Good morning
My Palm PVG100 receives Whatsapp messages only when I tap on the Whatsapp icon to open the application, but it's of utmost importance for my job to receive notifications when the phone is locked and to hear the corresponding sound, like it happens with SMS.
How can I achieve this?
Please tell me all steps in detail
Thank you very much in advance!
Francesco

They gave me a list of useless suggestions:

If you are a WhatsApp user and would like to sync your WhatsApp messages between your Palm and another device, you can use WhatsApp Web on one of your devices. WhatsApp allows an account to be signed into the mobile app on one device and another device on WhatsApp Web simultaneously. To setup WhatsApp Web, visit web.whatsapp.com to get started.

Palm Support Team (Palm)
Sep 22, 23:42 PDT
Hi Francisco,

I'm sorry for my unclear response. Are you using WhatsApp on another mobile device, in addition to your Palm?

Have you tried whitelisting the app in the Life Mode advanced menu? Try this out: https://palmsupport.zendesk.com/hc/e...-notifications

Then I sent them various screenshots showing the settings under which the problem still occurs; I attach a zip file with all the screenshots to this message, can you please have a look at it and help me with your experience, since Palm is not responding?

The behavior is like Whatsapp service gets killed from the background or notifications are held, because notifications come in if they come some seconds after I lock the screen, but if I wait, nothing comes in
Attached Files
File Type: zip Screenshots.zip - [Click for QR Code] (877.6 KB, 10 views)
28th September 2019, 06:08 PM |#17  

More
When lifemode is on and screen is off, my assumption is everything is off. If you read the 'whitelisting' in lifemode only allows notifications to work in those apps when the screen is on.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

the snapdragon chip will always have all the bands! The only limitation for enabling a disabled band I've seen is 'lack of antennas' no clue exactly what that means, I guess there can be different antenna lengths for different bands. Also as I've seen the lack of data for the bands to operate in qpst
28th September 2019, 11:45 PM |#18  

More
Did you manage to access band data of the Palm in QPST?!
29th September 2019, 02:16 AM |#19  

More
No, I haven't used QPST with the palm. you should try it.
10th October 2019, 09:56 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
FCC Palm info
we have two hardware Palm version PVG100 and PVG100E/PVG100EU
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVG100.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	4839915
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVG100E.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	4839917
15th October 2019, 05:19 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
source code
[email protected]Hi guys!
I think I found the source code/bootloader for the PVG100. After a whole lot of digging, I now have this .zip from the founder himself, and it is for the original 2018 firmware, not with any of the updates. I'll put the link to it below.
I am definitely a novice tinkerer, not a developer. I don't have any of the skills or tools to make a custom ROM, though I very much want one to remove the bloatware and enable hotspot tethering etc. Stormskeeker, could you please post whatever you have managed to find so far, or explain how you have been able to tweak it?
I also have a couple of these that are inoperable for various reasons that I have thoroughly dissected. So if anyone needs to buy any of my spare parts, or wants to just know more about the Palm's guts, then hit me up!

This is SUCH a rad little phone. Biggest complaint by far is battery life, and I would LOVE if someone help me figure out how to power this phone with a bigger battery. I found a Oneplus battery has the same connector, but it won't work when I connect it (unless it's plugged in to a wall adapter)... does this have something to do with the firmware not accepting a different battery? Does Anyone know how I can get around this??

https://sourceforge.net/projects/palmopensource/[/url]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)