Thanks Meter: 254

By Charkatak, Senior Member on 17th August 2019, 02:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th October 2019, 05:19 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
source code
[email protected]Hi guys!
I think I found the source code/bootloader for the PVG100. After a whole lot of digging, I now have this .zip from the founder himself, and it is for the original 2018 firmware, not with any of the updates. I'll put the link to it below.
I am definitely a novice tinkerer, not a developer. I don't have any of the skills or tools to make a custom ROM, though I very much want one to remove the bloatware and enable hotspot tethering etc. Stormskeeker, could you please post whatever you have managed to find so far, or explain how you have been able to tweak it?
I also have a couple of these that are inoperable for various reasons that I have thoroughly dissected. So if anyone needs to buy any of my spare parts, or wants to just know more about the Palm's guts, then hit me up!

This is SUCH a rad little phone. Biggest complaint by far is battery life, and I would LOVE if someone help me figure out how to power this phone with a bigger battery. I found a Oneplus battery has the same connector, but it won't work when I connect it (unless it's plugged in to a wall adapter)... does this have something to do with the firmware not accepting a different battery? Does Anyone know how I can get around this??

https://sourceforge.net/projects/palmopensource/[/url]
15th October 2019, 07:17 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbodyrichert

I think I found the source code/bootloader for the PVG100. After a whole lot of digging, I now have this .zip from the founder himself, and it is for the original 2018 firmware, not with any of the updates. I'll put the link to it below.
I am definitely a novice tinkerer, not a developer. I don't have any of the skills or tools to make a custom ROM, though I very much want one to remove the bloatware and enable hotspot tethering etc. Stormskeeker, could you please post whatever you have managed to find so far, or explain how you have been able to tweak it?
I also have a couple of these that are inoperable for various reasons that I have thoroughly dissected. So if anyone needs to buy any of my spare parts, or wants to just know more about the Palm's guts, then hit me up!

This is SUCH a rad little phone. Biggest complaint by far is battery life, and I would LOVE if someone help me figure out how to power this phone with a bigger battery. I found a Oneplus battery has the same connector, but it won't work when I connect it (unless it's plugged in to a wall adapter)... does this have something to do with the firmware not accepting a different battery? Does Anyone know how I can get around this??

Hi there, this looks a bit more promising, but also suspect, as there's absolutely no documentation on that file...
I've sent a message on sourceforge to "francoispvg", the guy having uploaded that file, let's see if he answers (I don't believe so).
According to your experience what do you think that file has inside?
Code for the recovery? Code for the ROM? Programmer files to use in Emergency Download Mode with QPST or similar software?
Please let me know, thanks!
16th October 2019, 07:33 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSeeker1

Hi there, this looks a bit more promising, but also suspect, as there's absolutely no documentation on that file...
I've sent a message on sourceforge to "francoispvg", the guy having uploaded that file, let's see if he answers (I don't believe so).
According to your experience what do you think that file has inside?
Code for the recovery? Code for the ROM? Programmer files to use in Emergency Download Mode with QPST or similar software?
Please let me know, thanks!

So I've spent the last several hours going through the files, and I believe the answers to your above questions are yes, yes, and YES! It appears that this contains EVERYTHING that you mentioned, but it also looks like there are a bunch of extra goodies that the creators put in (like a bunch of other drivers and such) before they had firmly decided which hardware components to use. Another awesome thing- the file contains none of the Verizon system apps or files that come preinstalled on the Verizon version. So this means that once i finish flashing this on to my Verizon version, I expect that it will finally be free from that bloat.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about developing to be able to get rooted and change system files...
But if anyone can point me in the right direction, I can try to tweak the stock rom into a battery/storagespace friendly custom ROM. If I can get something that works on one of my PVG100s, then I'll make the custom ROM available for ya'll on Dropbox or something.
Any ideas for where to begin? I just have Android studio, no special hardware/equipment.
16th October 2019, 08:11 AM |#24  

More
Quote:

So I've spent the last several hours going through the files, and I believe the answers to your above questions are yes, yes, and YES! It appears that this contains EVERYTHING that you mentioned, but it also looks like there are a bunch of extra goodies that the creators put in (like a bunch of other drivers and such) before they had firmly decided which hardware components to use. Another awesome thing- the file contains none of the Verizon system apps or files that come preinstalled on the Verizon version. So this means that once i finish flashing this on to my Verizon version, I expect that it will finally be free from that bloat.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about developing to be able to get rooted and change system files...
But if anyone can point me in the right direction, I can try to tweak the stock rom into a battery/storagespace friendly custom ROM. If I can get something that works on one of my PVG100s, then I'll make the custom ROM available for ya'll on Dropbox or something.
Any ideas for where to begin? I just have Android studio, no special hardware/equipment.

That would be great!
One thing: your third "YES!" is about my question "Programmer files to use in Emergency Download Mode with QPST or similar software?". Can you point me to the files that we are talking about (with extension .mbn or .hex)?
These files are needed for programs like QPST to read and write the full phone internal storage through the "firehose" protocol when the phone is in Emergency Download Mode.
One more thing: tools in the QPST suite read and write eMMC memory, but look at this post:
https://www.martview-forum.com/threa...can-get.16422/
From that post it looks like a version of another program, called UFST exists or is going to be released that supports Palm PVG100 (Pepito) (2 versions, look at the post list). This is strange, because my read/write speed tests on the PVG100 memory make me think its memory is eMMC, while UFST is supposed to be for UFS (Universal Flash Storage, the T stands for Tool, as always). Maybe UFST supports both eMMC and UFS, but I don't know.
That guy of the post I mentioned must know something for us!
17th October 2019, 06:59 AM |#25  

More
Quote:

I have no problem posting any file I currently have, but none of my attempts has worked yet...BUT: if you have opened the case of some palm phones there are very good chances someone with technical electronics skills in this forum can help you find the JTAG contacts inside the phone to debug (and then hack) data processed by the phone when trying to back it up or to flash it or to root it! Can anyone with JTAG knowledge (applied to Android phones) please provide us with guidance?!
20th October 2019, 02:41 AM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hey there guys, just got one of these.

I think are best shot is to try to flash a treble gsi to it since this phone should be treble compatible.

This should be possible by enabling bootloader unlocking then running adb reboot bootlaoader then running fastboot oem unlock and then following the instructions to flash a gsi. if anyone has a chance to try please report back
20th October 2019, 04:05 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'd be surprised if it's that easy to unlock the Verizon bootloader on this phone.
20th October 2019, 05:49 AM |#28  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzees

I'd be surprised if it's that easy to unlock the Verizon bootloader on this phone.

Agreed, but honestly I cannot figure out how to get into bootloader mode to enter in fastboot commands.

I tried adb reboot bootloader but it just reboots reguler.

and adb reboot recovery takes me to the stock recovery.

Any ideas how to get into fastboot mode?
20th October 2019, 05:59 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatjack1

Any ideas how to get into fastboot mode?

Try:

1) Phone should be on, as usual. Connected to PC via USB cable. ADB enabled, etc.
2) Open a terminal on your PC and issue your fastboot command, like "fastboot oem unlock" or whatever you want to do.
3) You should see something like "waiting for any device".
4) Reboot the phone.
5) Hopefully, fastboot will grab the phone in that brief moment when it's actually in fastboot mode.

I accidentally did this with a Google Pixel that was being difficult, and it worked for me.
20th October 2019, 08:19 AM |#30  

More
Can you please explain the exact sequence and the timing of the actions?
20th October 2019, 03:26 PM |#31  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzees

Try:

1) Phone should be on, as usual. Connected to PC via USB cable. ADB enabled, etc.
2) Open a terminal on your PC and issue your fastboot command, like "fastboot oem unlock" or whatever you want to do.
3) You should see something like "waiting for any device".
4) Reboot the phone.
5) Hopefully, fastboot will grab the phone in that brief moment when it's actually in fastboot mode.

I accidentally did this with a Google Pixel that was being difficult, and it worked for me.

Tried the above. Did not work.

Any other ideas?

I would imagine that its a combination of holding down the power button and going throught a number of reboot cycles, but i dont know.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)