Is my phone harbricked? No fastboot, no recovery

Search This thread

rominail

Jul 5, 2017
Hi All,
I've been crawling the web the past few days to find a solution to my problem and unfortunately I didn't...
I have a Asus Zenfone 3 Max ZC520TL MT6737M, I never did a custom OS installation before and didn't know anything about how phone works except the Linux kernel
After 2 or 3 weeks playing with custom rom and recovery, softbrick, fastboot and adb I finally successfully intalled a custom OS, I wanted lineageOS but only found an Himax image working properly (with bluetooth., etc) for my phone and TWRP as custom recovery.
I setted my parameters for all my applications and after inserting my SIM card the network was not working, I tried a factory reset from the phone and then I got stuck in twrp however the way I booted, I tried flashing the os again, the recovery again wiping/formatting data, I was still stuck in TWRP
Then I executed :
fastboot format:ext4 cache
fastboot format:ext4 boot
And now I can't boot nor in twrp nor in fastboot, I can't access the bootloader using power and volume up, and my phone bootloop
Is there a way to get to fastboot to reinstall the recovery and then from here the os or is my phone hardbricked with no future, ready for trash?

Thank you

TheExploitedOne

Jul 8, 2019
Hi All,
I've been crawling the web the past few days to find a solution to my problem and unfortunately I didn't...
I have a Asus Zenfone 3 Max ZC520TL MT6737M, I never did a custom OS installation before and didn't know anything about how phone works except the Linux kernel
After 2 or 3 weeks playing with custom rom and recovery, softbrick, fastboot and adb I finally successfully intalled a custom OS, I wanted lineageOS but only found an Himax image working properly (with bluetooth., etc) for my phone and TWRP as custom recovery.
I setted my parameters for all my applications and after inserting my SIM card the network was not working, I tried a factory reset from the phone and then I got stuck in twrp however the way I booted, I tried flashing the os again, the recovery again wiping/formatting data, I was still stuck in TWRP
Then I executed :
And now I can't boot nor in twrp nor in fastboot, I can't access the bootloader using power and volume up, and my phone bootloop
Is there a way to get to fastboot to reinstall the recovery and then from here the os or is my phone hardbricked with no future, ready for trash?

Thank you

You NEVER format your boot partition as ext4 it's a raw boot.img which holds the kernel and ramdisk. You should really do research and follow instructions alittle better than that.. unfortunately I don't think your device can be saved and if you flashed aboot or sbl1/2/3 then your SOL

Last edited:
Reactions: rominail

TheExploitedOne

Jul 8, 2019
maybe you can flash again like from the factory by using the default flashing and ROM tools.

If your in a Qualcomm chipset and you have an EDL programmer that works for your device I have custom tools in my cloud storage to create an EDL firmware if you don't ready have one. If your on MTK then there is Sugar MTK or SP flash tool that can work. If your an another one you may be out of luck as it seems nobody has been able to restore those chipsets

EDIT: I do have a whole zip file of programmers and one that I use for my LG Zone 2 (msm8x10.mbn)

Reactions: rominail

mahirab23

Jul 26, 2020
You NEVER format your boot partition as ext4 it's a raw boot.img which holds the kernel and ramdisk. You should really do research and follow instructions alittle better than that.. unfortunately I don't think your device can be saved and if you flashed aboot or sbl1/2/3 then your SOL

we have the same problem but I didn't do like you.
I entered these commands
*fastboot flash recovery boot.img (I'm stupid lol):(:(:(:(
*fastboot flash boot boot.img
*fastboot reboot*

mahirab23

Jul 26, 2020
What seems to be going on after the flash?
the biggest problem is i have reset the phone and i am stuck with this message: "to start android enter your password". I entered the correct password but another message appears with a reset phone option.
Since the recovery.img file is no longer in the system, the phone keeps making this loop.

TheExploitedOne

Jul 8, 2019
the biggest problem is i have reset the phone and i am stuck with this message: "to start android enter your password". I entered the correct password but another message appears with a reset phone option.
Since the recovery.img file is no longer in the system, the phone keeps making this loop.

If you can get into fastboot run the following:

fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot format:ext4 userdata

Then reflash your recovery

Last edited:

TheExploitedOne

Jul 8, 2019
good !!!: o: o
can you develop the method with Miracle Box and QPST ? please!!!

I have the tools needed in my cloud I can make into a zip file. You'll need to also do some research on your part but I can also write a readme file too so you have a basic understanding. Just give me a few to get the link

EDIT:
Here you go this has all you'll need for flashing your device in EDL as well as create the firmware if needed

https://mega.nz/file/rc8CVIiB#qnM3_ZzrvCJtp_M7Y9ZftZqDtGgWeN0tqFrLlT30pws

Last edited:

rominail

Jul 5, 2017
If your in a Qualcomm chipset and you have an EDL programmer that works for your device I have custom tools in my cloud storage to create an EDL firmware if you don't ready have one. If your on MTK then there is Sugar MTK or SP flash tool that can work. If your an another one you may be out of luck as it seems nobody has been able to restore those chipsets

EDIT: I do have a whole zip file of programmers and one that I use for my LG Zone 2 (msm8x10.mbn)

Thank you for your help, unfortunately it's a mediatek

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 1890170
    then I executed :
    You completely destroyed phone's boot-loader, what is comparable to a computer's BIOS.

What do you expect? IMO phone is case for the e-waste.
    Hi All,
    Then I executed :

Thank you

Thanks

Thank you for your answers!
    I don't know why I did that (sometimes I have crazy bad ideas), I didn't see that on internet
    maybe you can flash again like from the factory by using the default flashing and ROM tools.

thank you for your attention and suggestions.
    I haven't tried this method yet.
    I'm not good with EDL mode:(:(
    Can SP tools and MiracleBox help me?
    MiracleBox and QPST yes