FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Remove Galaxy A40 bloatware

31 posts
Thanks Meter: 18

By joaofl, Member on 12th August 2019, 11:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have just acquired a Samsung Galaxy A40 phone. In my opinion, it has one of the best size/price/performance ratios on the market, reason why I bough it.

However, one very sad point about it is that there is still no LineageOS or any other custom ROMs to this phone, forcing myself to stick to the Samsung ultra-bloated distribution.

Having to accept this fact, my first action was to clean the phone the best I could, by removing any unnecessary crap from Sansumg and others from Google, Linkedin, Facebook and anything not strictly necessary. I based my list on some available (find ref on the script), but I also added some other useful commands.

Let me know if this works out for you, and if you have any point to add to the list. Find it attached on the Gist below:
https://gist.github.com/joaofl/7671e...8992d6694a33d9

Before running it, I recommend reading the comments on the scrip, so that you dont end up without keyboard for example.

Hope it suites you!

By the way, do you have any information on when or if there is anybody working on a custom ROM (Lineage preferably) for this device?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joaofl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joaofl Ad-Free
14th August 2019, 05:53 AM |#2  
Flag monteverde.org
Thanks Meter: 2,063

More
Phone Disabling Galaxy A40 bloatware
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofl

...clean the phone the best I could, by removing any unnecessary crap from Sansumg and others...

Instead of removing system apps you can simply disable them which is easily reversible.

If the Disable button is grayed-out in the Settings > App > app's info see this XDA article: How to disable any pre-installed system app bloatware on Android without root using adb
16th August 2019, 04:45 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

I have just acquired a Samsung Galaxy A40 phone. In my opinion, it has one of the best size/price/performance ratios on the market, reason why I bough it.

However, one very sad point about it is that there is still no LineageOS or any other custom ROMs to this phone, forcing myself to stick to the Samsung ultra-bloated distribution.

Having to accept this fact, my first action was to clean the phone the best I could, by removing any unnecessary crap from Sansumg and others from Google, Linkedin, Facebook and anything not strictly necessary. I based my list on some available (find ref on the script), but I also added some other useful commands.

Let me know if this works out for you, and if you have any point to add to the list. Find it attached on the Gist below:

Before running it, I recommend reading the comments on the scrip, so that you dont end up without keyboard for example.

Hope it suites you!

By the way, do you have any information on when or if there is anybody working on a custom ROM (Lineage preferably) for this device?

I need root permissions to do this
1st September 2019, 09:55 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
But will this run without rooting the phone?

EDIT: It works!
3rd September 2019, 07:53 AM |#5  
Flag Friƻl
Thanks Meter: 80

Donate to Me
More
Beautiful.
I'm new with Galaxy A40, i'm really not a fan of Samsung but it was great to have the idea of making a phone lower than 15cm that is my need for lot of reasons.
I was just preparing to remove some system apps like bixby and samsung launcher, than i found out this script but... may you please give a description of most incomprehensible apps in the list?
4th September 2019, 10:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Instructions
A big thanks to joaofl for getting this list together for us!!!

Here's some info that might help others...
- This article has info (it's further down in the page) on how to use the script (you copy and paste it into Windows command promt/cmd as admin and after installing ADB... link in the article below).
https://piunikaweb.com/2019/03/25/sa...-without-root/
- There's a typo in the script... Lines 84 onwards on the code has a typo where it says 'pm' rather than 'adb'. Changing that before you paste it into cmd fixes it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie Cooper For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Charlie Cooper Ad-Free
11th September 2019, 10:42 PM |#7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Cooper

A big thanks to joaofl for getting this list together for us!!!

Here's some info that might help others...
- This article has info (it's further down in the page) on how to use the script (you copy and paste it into Windows command promt/cmd as admin and after installing ADB... link in the article below).
https://piunikaweb.com/2019/03/25/sa...-without-root/
- There's a typo in the script... Lines 84 onwards on the code has a typo where it says 'pm' rather than 'adb'. Changing that before you paste it into cmd fixes it.

Indeed, there were some errors there. I updated the script now, and it should work better now.

and NO, you dont need to be root to run it.

I prefer to remove stuff instead of disabling it, as it free up some space. Worst case, you need to restore the phone.
15th September 2019, 09:19 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Yesterday I disabled a lot of unnecessary apps on my Galaxy A40. At a certain point the device was locked an a message said something about "not authorised removal of billing/paying apps". I had to do a hard recovery because I could not enable any of the apps. In fact I could do nothing with the phone

I mention this because on all the lists I found on the internet the billing/paying apps are listed as bloatware/unnecessary which was not true in my case. My A40 is customised by hutchison (drei) maybe this has something to do with it.

edit: the package name which is locking the phone is
com.samsung.android.kgclient

HTH and have a nice day!
The Following User Says Thank You to ZJule For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ZJule Ad-Free
15th September 2019, 01:36 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Does anyone know if a factory reset from Settings will restore all the apps removed via this process?

EDIT: It does.
23rd September 2019, 09:40 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
very good mobile and very cheap in prise
Quote:

Hope it suites you!

Samsung Galaxy A40 phone is very good mobile phone and very cheap in prise
1st October 2019, 11:14 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can you say which apps cannot be removed OR disabled?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bloatware, clean, samsung-galaxy-a40

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)