Replacing stock dialer doesn't show incoming calls

Search This thread

Ceccis

Apr 28, 2014
Hello guys.
My main question is: what kind of system app decide which dialer will show the incoming calls?
I will shortly explain the situation. I have a smartwatch (zeblaze blitz with Android 5.1, no Android Wear, rooted) that has a bug in stock dialer, so I need to replace it.
I installed some dialers from play store, but they were using stock dialer for calls, so nothing.
I used root to install Google Dialer (put it in priv-app folder). It's working fine, except one thing.
When I get incoming calls, stock dialer shows up. If I answer, I hear nothing. I need to open Google dialer manually to talk.
If I uninstall or freeze stock dialer, on incoming calls, it rings but nothing appears at all. I need to open Google dialer manually to answer.

It seems some "setting" decide that incoming calls need to be shown by the default dialer, even if another one is set up to be used to talk.
Does anyone has an idea how to change this setting eventually?

Last edited:

OLderDan

Jan 22, 2016
Have you tried the resetting the default association in settings apps stock dialer?
Edit minor text fixes.

Ceccis

Apr 28, 2014
Have you tried the resetting the default association in settings apps stock dialer?
Edit minor text fixes.

Thanks for help
Stock dialer doesn't have any association. Also, I think the associations would be automatically deleted when I uninstall it.
So unfortunately I think it's not about the stock dialer. I think there is some other app or setting that redirects to the dialer.

Ceccis

Apr 28, 2014
I have some additional information to share, if someone has the patience to try to help
The following are apps that i found that I think could be involved in this issue (app name, package name and size)

In /system/priv-app
TelephonyProvider.apk com.android.providers.telephony 1,6MB
TeleService.apk com.android.phone 2,1MB
Telecom.apk com.android.server.telecom 1,1MB

In /system/app
AutoDialer.apk com.example 44KB
BSPTelephonyDevTool.apk com.mtk.telephony 88KB

The stock dialer that I'm trying to replace is
Dialer.apk com.android.dialer 5,1MB

Does anyone have an idea?

Last edited:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Your issue is that many of the drivers for the device and radio are programmed to that dialer apk. It's the same all over android. You would have to build a rom from source to change it.

Reactions: Ceccis

Ceccis

Apr 28, 2014
Your issue is that many of the drivers for the device and radio are programmed to that dialer apk. It's the same all over android. You would have to build a rom from source to change it.

Probably, but I have no idea how to do it.
For now, I would like to find apks from other MTK6580 device to make some tests. Maybe I'll have some luck with no need to build an entire rom.
Any idea where could I find stock Dialer.apk and TeleService.apk of any MTK6580 lollipop device? Is there an appropriate section on this forum for this?

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
For now, I would like to find apks from other MTK6580 device to make some tests. Maybe I'll have some luck with no need to build an entire rom.
Any idea where could I find stock Dialer.apk and TeleService.apk of any MTK6580 lollipop device? Is there an appropriate section on this forum for this?
Your chip is not gonna matter. As it will need the main frameworks from the rom that dialer and other apks came from. Then you will also need the radio files that work with that dialer. There is no real way to cheat getting around this. It only makes it harder due to the chip itself. Mtk are lousy at providing any info which means most kernels for those devices don't have the source posted.

Reactions: Ceccis

Ceccis

Apr 28, 2014
Your chip is not gonna matter. As it will need the main frameworks from the rom that dialer and other apks came from. Then you will also need the radio files that work with that dialer. There is no real way to cheat getting around this. It only makes it harder due to the chip itself. Mtk are lousy at providing any info which means most kernels for those devices don't have the source posted.

For sure you are right, but I was now thinking just to replace the stock dialer with another stock dialer from another similar device.
I have some stupid bug (when I call or answer on call, I cannot hear anything, then I need to exit the dialer app and restart to hear the call), and what it really matters is to get rid of it. I'm not really interested in Google Dialer or any other.

So, maybe, if I can find another dialer with the same package name, as all stock dialer should have (com.android.dialer.apk), I could maybe solve without requiring programming skills that I don't have.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
For sure you are right, but I was now thinking just to replace the stock dialer with another stock dialer from another similar device.
I have some stupid bug (when I call or answer on call, I cannot hear anything, then I need to exit the dialer app and restart to hear the call), and what it really matters is to get rid of it. I'm not really interested in Google Dialer or any other.

So, maybe, if I can find another dialer with the same package name, as all stock dialer should have (com.android.dialer.apk), I could maybe solve without requiring programming skills that I don't have.

You are confused on your issue. From what you just said I would honestly say the issue is not your dialer app. It's your radio/modem (do phones even still use modems lol) this is what really controls calls. Sounds like it's crashing and not restarting. If you can get root a logcat would pinpoint it.

You could try a clean flash of the latest software.

Ceccis

Apr 28, 2014
You are confused on your issue. From what you just said I would honestly say the issue is not your dialer app. It's your radio/modem (do phones even still use modems lol) this is what really controls calls. Sounds like it's crashing and not restarting. If you can get root a logcat would pinpoint it.

You could try a clean flash of the latest software.

I really am, no doubt.
The fact is that when I answer, although I can't hear anything, they can hear me on the other side. It looks like some "service" of the dialer just stays on background, without crashing, and I need to recall it by opening the dialer app.
Also, the really strange thing is that, if I am using a bluetooth headset, I can hear perfectly and I have no problem at all.
For this reason I was not thinking of some issue about those kind od service you say... Phone line is working!
I have root, how can I take a useful logcat?
Thank you very much for help

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.