[REQUEST] Support for LG Optimus Zone 3

Search This thread

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
How about a tutorial on how to go from pp5 to pp2? :D
I no longer have a Zone 3. When I get settled back home -- I'm traveling at the moment for work -- I plan on forking out the $19 at Dollar General to buy a replacement. I'd like to continue development on this device. Much progress is being made by various members.

Astr4y4L

I appreciate the help but I believe this device can't be rooted. My software version is vs425pp7. I was using kingo btw but kingroot doesn't get anywhere. This is a back up phone for me unfortunately having lost my note4 a couple days ago. Id be willing to pay if someone can root.

Vs425pp7
Rooted ! :) and xposed
See my and @Motojunki01 's work over on the thread here
( https://xdaforums.com/general/general/lgvs425pp-optimus-zone-3-stock-t3515462/page31)
IV linked to all instructions and a rooting package
Just browse the thread.
I like thanks button and donations really help ease the burden of paying for continued development.
Your welcome,
Astr4y4L

Last edited:

Astr4y4L

I did some more searching and came across a thread on a deal site talking about these phones. Apparently the newer versions of this phone are coming with an updated software version that is not rootable. My phone has software version VS4525PP5. Versions 1,2,3 are rootable but after that LG apparently plugged whatever hole Kingroot was able to use. Current versions of this phone are unrootable :(

Excuse me but There Is Now A way with the help of @Motojunki01 I have rooted mine and it came with version 7
the details and my root package are available on thread here

https://xdaforums.com/general/general/lgvs425pp-optimus-zone-3-stock-t3515462/page33?nocache=1

and everythings working even xposed framework..
so yes sir you can now root this device...
we hav'nt fixed the display issue for the vs425pp5 but have success with all other versions.
give it a read and try it yourself
Astr4y4L

Last edited:

gassyjoe

Aug 4, 2014
Excuse me but There Is Now A way with the help of @Motojunki01 I have rooted mine and it came with version 7

https://xdaforums.com/general/general/lgvs425pp-optimus-zone-3-stock-t3515462/page33?nocache=1

we hav'nt fixed the display issue for the vs425pp5 but have success with all other versions.
Astr4y4L

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like version pp5 is still not successfully rootable?

jazzdglass

Jul 19, 2011
Lagos

Astr4y4L

How do I go from pp5 to pp7?
How do I enable GSM after gaining root? Thanks

UsPaOrKo

Aug 19, 2017

Astr4y4L

Hi Astr4y4L, so is there a way now to root an "LG Optimus Zone 3 VS425PP" ???...I've looking everywhere for that and that's how I found this forum.....I was reading the other forum (the link you provided) but looks like you guys are still investigating how to root the phone...

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
Hi Astr4y4L, so is there a way now to root an "LG Optimus Zone 3 VS425PP" ???...I've looking everywhere for that and that's how I found this forum.....I was reading the other forum (the link you provided) but looks like you guys are still investigating how to root the phone...
Myself and @Astr4y4L are currently discussing the posting of a full comprehensive and instructional guide on downgrading and rooting the LGVS425PP. @Astr4y4L has built a full rooting package with instructions which is available on XDA. The package, in many cases (depending on your firmware build), first requires downgrading. He and I are now discussing taking everything we've compiled and developed over the past months, and organizing it nice and neatly in one thread that all members can follow. In other words, the information and tools to root your Zone 3 are here. This info and the files simply need to be put in one tidy place with concise instructions.

tomchancey

Oct 26, 2017
Unlock boot loader Lg optimus zone 3 VS425PP

How do I Unlock boot loader Lg optimus zone 3 VS425PP in simple easly to simple to follow step then how do in root the device and return to a fully functional cell phone that is stable and rooted. Can' get any help from use of foxfire, kingo, supersu. I have tried everythin I read with no luck. Please help as I have been at this for weeks and can't figure it out.

Astr4y4L

How do I Unlock boot loader Lg optimus zone 3 VS425PP in simple easly to simple to follow step then how do in root the device and return to a fully functional cell phone that is stable and rooted. Can' get any help from use of foxfire, kingo, supersu. I have tried everythin I read with no luck. Please help as I have been at this for weeks and can't figure it out.

As for Bootloader unlock .... That is currently NOT POSSIBLE !!!
LG SIGNED ABOOT AND PATCHED THE BUMP...

For Easy Zone3 Root-Kit Just go to my site Donate a reasonable amount and We Will personally Make Sure You Get Root on Verizon Zone3

For a free root method follow this thread from post #1 all the way up to here and you can see how we did it the first times
it was done on the device it's self and you had to hope you didn't get Graphics issues while downgrading
then you had to suffer through bootloops from incompatible Modem firmware and had Zero connection on mobile after downgrade. (BOOTLOOPS GUARANTEED)
had to then exploit with King-root,
then replaced king-root with SuperSU,
then install an app to back up partitions then had to
extract relevant partitions from stock firmware
convert them into a format that android recognized
and use them to replace the (back-ups) made by the partition tool app..
and then restore the (modified-back-ups) back to the device to gain functionality of radio modem...

it took me and the guys here a lot of time and money and frustration to develop the method that
I now use and this newer method is my finished product from all the R&D.
it's as easy now as installing LguP,
downloading and unzipping my Kit.
Moving 1 file to a folder in Lgup'S installed location
Plugging your phone into the PC and clicking a few buttons...

But Team_Astr4y4L No longer supports the old do it your-self the HARD way on the Device Method because the new method is
as of software version VS425PP8
A UNIVERSAL ZONE3 ROOT TOOL
If you want to root Zone3 I show you the way here to do it yourself
or
go to my site here and click donate we can have you rooted 5 minutes after you download the file...

http://www.astrayalslanding.dynu.net/index.php/how-it-works/

Thanks For your Interest in Zone3 Root and XDA !

Last edited:

MotoJunkie01

Apr 2, 2016
Corbin
@MotoJunkie01 I have a LG ZONE 3, can you share the tutorial for unlock GSM bands please ;-;
Sorry I wish I could help you out, but I no longer have the device and, best I remember, that trick only works on the VS425PP1 firmware build. I would recommend contacting @Astr4y4L over at Android Central. He's done extensive development on the Zone 3, including cellular band enabling. Good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With some build.prop and apn tweaks, the Verizon LG Optimus Zone 3 does in fact fully function with at least one GSM carrier that I can confirm, which is AT&T. Because LTE is in fact a GSM based technology, the SIM slot (which provides 4G/LTE connectivity on Verizon's network via UICC/RUIM card) is fully capable of reading a GSM SIM card. Again, however, I can only confirm AT&T at this time and will update accordingly after testing other GSM carriers. It is also noteworthy that the Zone 3 is also known as the LG K4 on other carriers, and specs provide full WCDMA/GSM/LTE capabilities. Namely, the Zone 3's specifications articulate that its Qualcomm Snapdragon 210, msm8909 baseband encompasses quad-band GSM frequencies, 850/900 1800/1900, as well as LTE Bands 2, 4, 5 & 13. This works out great for me, as AT&T utilizes LTE Bands 2, 4, 5 & 17. Bands 2 and 4 are most prominent in the area in which I live.
    So, for around $20, the Zone 3 is a great device for anybody who wants to gain root, tweak the build.prop and APN settings, and throw in an AT&T SIM. So long as LTE Band 17 is not the only working frequency in your area, data connectivity shouldn't be an issue.

I will be outlining a step-by-step tutorial on modifying the Zone 3's build.prop and telephony settings once I have had a chance to confirm that T-Mobile and other GSM mvno subsidiaries work on the Zone 3.
    Does this phone support other GSM carriers like T-Mobile and AT&T?
    It's a Verizon phone. It doesn't support ANY GSM providers (only CDMA, save for LTE, but don't confuse yourself). It is Verizon only
    OK, first things first. After obtaining root- preferably by using the OP's detailed and comprehensive method-you will need to download a build.prop editor and add the following lines to the Zone 3's build.prop:

telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice = 0
    ro.telephony.default_network = 3
    ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc = 0

After saving these settings, power off the phone and insert your GSM SIM card. Upon reboot, you should now be able to access Settings -- Wireless & Networks -- More --Mobile Networks and thus set the corresponding APN for your particular GSM carrier.

Next, the annoying "This SIM is from an unknown source" needs to be dealt with. Open a command terminal and enter the following:
    su
    cd /system/app
    mv VzwPhoneService.apk VzwPhoneService.bak

Do the same with:

VzwController.apk VzwDeviceSetup.apk VzwEntitlementService.apk and vzwapnpermission.apk

This should get you up and going with your GSM carrier. As I'm running short on time again, I had to be concise and short. I will answer any questions or address any problems in as timely a manner as possible.