FORUMS

[ROOT] CAT B15Q Root - the proper way

141 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By harddisk_wp, Senior Member on 31st December 2014, 09:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Up until now, the B15Q could only be rooted with a weird Chinese app which was not exactly trustworthy... be warned, this guide may void your warranty.

Prerequisites:
Howto:
  • Flash the CWM recovery and, if you want, also the usbfix'd boot.img, to the device
  • Boot into recovery
  • Connect phone to computer with supersu.zip and adb
  • adb push /path/to/update-supersu-v2.40.zip /sdcard
  • On the phone, select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard" and then the supersu zip.
  • Confirm, wait until it's done, reboot
  • I can haz rootburger, plz? (We're done, and I'm hungry.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harddisk_wp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift harddisk_wp Ad-Free
26th January 2015, 01:17 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Hi!

Thank you for your manual! one question though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harddisk_wp

Howto:

• Flash the CWM recovery and, if you want, also the usbfix'd boot.img, to the device

This short sentence needs clarification for me:
According to THIS manual:
http://www.droidwiki.de/ClockWorkMod#Installation
I would boot into fastboot mode as according to this:
http://www.android-hilfe.de/caterpil...toptionen.html
and send the command(s), either only the recovery or the USBFix-Recovery and the USBFix Boot Image together.
Code:
fastboot flash recovery RECOVERY_CWM.img
or
Code:
fastboot flash recovery USBFIX_RECOVERY_CWM.img
fastboot flash boot USBFIX_boot.img
After this succeeded I would try to reboot normally. If this works (and is not bricked) I would proceed either with this:

Quote:

• Boot into recovery
  • Connect phone to computer with supersu.zip and adb
  • adb push /path/to/update-supersu-v2.40.zip /sdcard

or put it onto the SD-Card in the FAT32-area using a card reader, insert the SD-Card into the phone and bot into recovery.

And then I would flash this ZIP:
Quote:

• On the phone, select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard" and then the supersu zip.
  • Confirm, wait until it's done, reboot
  • I can haz rootburger, plz? (We're done, and I'm hungry.)

Did I get it correctly?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I don't want to brick my B15Q again...

Greets,
Doggy
The Following User Says Thank You to Doggy77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Doggy77 Ad-Free
2nd February 2015, 07:30 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Thanks for the rooting description, but I seem to have flashing problems.
First I get the failure
"PMT changed for the ROM; it must be downloaded."
I did several WIndows restarts as recommended and some few times the flashing process starts, but then I get the following failure:
"BROM error : ?? (3)"
For this one searching did not help, any ideas?
12th February 2015, 11:49 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
The rooting went perfectly fine. I've flashed only the CWM and the SuperSU.zip, not the boot.img.

Here some hints:
- The current spflashtool versions gave me the "PMT changed" error. The version 1352 was working fine with the same scatter- and img-file and the same drivers: http://mtk2000.ucoz.ru/down11/SP_Fla...v5.1352.01.rar
- The first flashing of the recovery was not successful, it booted straight to the stock recovery. I flashed it a second time and it worked fine.
- The command for adb-Push should be "adb push /path/to/update-supersu-v2.40.zip /sdcard/supersu.zip", so please ensure to give the filename and not the directory. When giving the directory only without trailing slash as stated in the original post, it said me something similar to "could not copy, target is a directory" (the existing directory was named identically to the file to be created via push). With trailing slash it seemed to write it correctly, but no file appeared, I suppose due to a missig filename.

Thank you very much! If harddisk_wp is here at Karlsruhe, Germany at any time, he may get a Cheezburger (or two) at any time...

Greets,
Doggy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doggy77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Doggy77 Ad-Free
7th April 2015, 11:25 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 106

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy77

...and send the command(s), either only the recovery or the USBFix-Recovery and the USBFix Boot Image together.

Code:
fastboot flash recovery RECOVERY_CWM.img
or
Code:
fastboot flash recovery USBFIX_RECOVERY_CWM.img
fastboot flash boot USBFIX_boot.img

Two questions:
1. where is the file "USBFIX boot.img"? I found one on Mega, but there is no link from here to it, makes me a bit nervous EDIT: found it, it was in the same thread, in post #3 - I didnt pay attention that post #2 was not the only post in the thread.
2. where comes the SP Flash Tool into play, when fastboot is used?
EDIT2: unlike Doggy77 in post #2 wrote, fastboot doesnt flash the recovery, this is not possible. I needed the SP Flash Tool for it. Possible to fastboot the USBFIX_boot.img (see above) but not the USBFIX_RECOVERY_CWM.img.
So either just forget about fastboot or only transfer only the USBFIX_boot.img with it.

Thanks

frank

EDIT: when I try to use fastboot (on a Windows XP 32 Bit) I get error:

Code:
c:\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery USBFIX_RECOVERY_CWM.img
sending 'recovery' (6212 KB)...
OKAY [  0.422s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote:
partition 'recovery' not support flash)
finished. total time: 0.437s
but boot works:
Code:
c:\platform-tools>fastboot flash boot USBFIX_boot.img
sending 'boot' (5560 KB)...
OKAY [  0.375s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [  0.812s]
finished. total time: 1.187s
Lastly I understood, that I need the SP Flashtool to flash the recovery but it didnt work because I didnt get a connection from my computer (a Windows XP machine) to the Cat. The driver was installed but didn't work.
12th April 2015, 10:34 AM |#6  

More
I have root now! With the big help of harddisk_wp
I will write a how to for beginners here soon...
19th April 2015, 12:41 PM |#7  
Flag szeged
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by francwalter

I have root now! With the big help of harddisk_wp
I will write a how to for beginners here soon...

Please, please...write a How2Beginners
20th April 2015, 10:29 PM |#8  

More
This HowTo is for Cat beginners who want to root their phone and didn't understand the first post like me
You need a bit of knowledge about your phone, what root means, what flashing means, some little more than beginners skills on computers at least. If things like "adb" are really unknown, try to read a bit about it first.
The HowTo in the first post here it was not enough information for me, but with the very big help of Cat-Guru "harddisk_wp" (by online chat and TeamViewer) I got my friends Cat B15Q rooted
So I wrote this little more detailed HowTo for beginners in my level.
But anyway you should first read the first post!

What you need:

You need a Windows PC with 32 Bit System (e.g. XP or 7), as the 64 Bit System won't allow you to install an unsigned driver and the MediaTek Drivers are unsigned.
I did it successfully with an old Windows XP Home/Pro (a home with some pro features, but real home or pro will do it) 32 Bit, SP3. Windows 7-64 or 8/8.1 won't work.
You need the MediaTek drivers (MTKUsbAll_0.9.2.rar, Download from first post links)
You need the SP Flash Tool (SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1352.01, Download from first and fourth post links)
You need the scatterfile for the Cat B15Q (MT6582_Android_scatter.txt, Download from first post links)
You need the CWM Recovery file (USBFIX RECOVERY CWM.img, Download from first post links)
You need the SuperSU file (UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip don't unzip, Download from http://download.chainfire.eu/696/Sup...erSU-v2.46.zip )
You could need the USBFIX boot (USBFIX boot.img) to easier install the adb driver
Your Cat need to have USB-Debugging enabled (for the adb connection later)

Start SP Tool

Remove the Battery from the Cat phone (leave it away)

Put the USB kable from Cat to PC, you will hear again and again the ding dong sound of USB plugged in and out. The Driver Installer Assistant will open (hopefully).

Install the "MediaTek Preloader" driver by choosing the driver folder by yourself, choose the folder "New inst. win 7&8x64", from the drivers package,
accept it and just click OK, when there is a box with three different drivers (Screenshot: mtk-preloader-driver.jpg), just don't change it and take the first.
Important to accept the unsigned driver, even when Windows warn not to do it (Screenshot: mtk-driver-warning.jpg).
The ding-dong-sound will continue even when the driver is installed. The sound will only stop for the time the SP Tool is at work! This irritated me first.

First we make a backup of the whole system:

Here fore open the SPTool and under the Tab "Readback" click on the 'Read Back' Button.

now the Dingdong stops and a line fills in the list.
Now click into this filled line and save under boot.img. Put start value
0x5980000
and end value
0x1000000
both hex then hit OK.
Maybe you have to drag the table column a bit to see the whole value. You can double click the cols edge to auto fit.

Now with 'Add' Button make a new line and one after the other fill in like before these values and save them:

this was the first line, which you already filled with:
boot.img (save as)
0x5980000 (start value)
0x1000000 (end value)

2. line
recovery.img
0x6980000
0x1000000

3. line
system.img
0x9800000
0x50000000

4. line
userdata.img
0x69800000
0x7BF20000

Info: All these start and end values are obtained from the scatterfile, you can see them also in the "Begin Address" and "End Address" columns in the "Download" Tab of SP Tools (when you have loaded the scatterfile),
where "BOOTIMG" > boot.img, "RECOVERY" > recovery.img, system.img > "ANDROID" and "USRDATA" is the userdata.img

Now remove the USB cable, click the 'Read back' Button and put the cable back in.
Now the SP Tool reads the whole ROM which took me on my old XP Medion Netbook nearly 2 hours!

The file "system.img" was about 1.3 GB big, "userdata.img" about 2 GB.

Info: the start and ending values come from the scatterfile which was obtained with the MTKDroidTool (the inofficial MediaTek Tool like e.g. Odin for Samsung).
As the scatterfile can just be downloaded, no need to use the MTKDroidTool.

Now you have the backup, whith this you could restore the system if something goes wrong by flashing the CWM (to get root).

Flashing the CWM Recovery:

In the "Download" Tab load the scatterfile to the "Scatter-loading File" field, click the 'Scatter-loading' Button to load the file.
The table is now filled with 12 lines of all the partitions (Screenshot: sp_flashtool.jpg and sp_flashtool2.jpg).

Click into the "Location" field in the "RECOVERY" line ("RECOVERY" you find in the "Name" column) and select the file "USBFIX RECOVERY CWM.img" from where you saved it.

Now remove again the USB cable, click 'Download' button and put in the cable.
The CWM Recovery is fastly flashed, some seconds only.

Now you can flash also the USBFIX boot.img, which makes it easier to install the adb driver, put the file to "BOOTIMG" line and flash it like before
(pull out cable, press 'Download', put in cable).
This is also fast done.

Installing the SuperSU app:

If not yet done, install adb on your computer, you can download the installer from:

http://download.clockworkmod.com/tes...riverSetup.msi

Install also on your pc the universal adb drivers from:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1S...ew?usp=sharing

Put in the battery, boot to Android and put in the cable.
Let the adb drivers install, they should install automatically (if not, see above "Without adb:")

Now you should be able to connect your Cat with your pc using adb. Open adb on the command line prompt and write:

adb reboot recovery
(your Cat should now switch off and start into recovery mode, there should be written "rua1 autoCWM v5.5.0.4 for B15Q" and at the bottom something like: "CWM automade 31.12.2014 17:25:42")

Move the SuperSU file ("UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip") into the adb-directory (where your adb.exe is located)

Write to the commandline:

adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /sdcard/supersu.zip
(this copies the SuperSU file to the sdcard of the Cat)

Now you can use the recovery to flash the SuperSU file (the "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip") using the "install zip file" command from recovery.
After reboot the SuperSU should be there.
If not, try again to flash it in recovery, sometimes only after the second flash process it works.

You should have root now and you should be able to use SDFix ore similar apps to fix the Google Kitkat Superbug of unwritable external SD-Card
You can now use FolderMount to use the external sd-card for folders with big data like e.g. WhatsApp.
You can now use Link2SD to use your external sd-card for apps, instead the very small internal sd-card. You need a Linux file-system partition on your external sd-card for it to work (can be done with free tools on windows).
With both, Link2SD and FolderMount your internal 2 GB are absolutely sufficient for the system and its apps, which only remains on the internal sd.

Without adb:

adb makes it easier but is not absolutely needed.
If you are not able to install the adb driver, than you can also take out the SD-Card, copy the SuperSU file on it through your computer and put it back into the phone.
Enter the recovery mode by: press power + volup for 2 seconds, then release power, release volup as soon as recovery has booted
Flash the SuperSU file in the recovery as described before. Maybe twice, best without booting into Android after flashing the fist time.
This is the same result as with pushing the file with adb to the sd-card and flashing it in recovery.

Feel free to ask if there is something unclear.
I wish you success!

EDIT 2015-04-21: when I first tried to install the adb-drivers (only adb, the other drivers wont install on 8.1-64!!!) on my Windows 8.1 (64) machine I needed to change the Android default USB driver package, the inf-file didn't have the VID/PID-code of the Cat.
So I added this info at two positions into the inf-file and voila I could install it, this worked.
This is the code I added in the inf-file:
Code:
[Google.NTx86]
; Cat B15Q MT65xx
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_04B7&PID_88AA
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_04B7&PID_88AA&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_04B7&PID_88AA
[Google.NTamd64]
; Cat B15Q MT65xx
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_04B7&PID_88AA
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_04B7&PID_88AA&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_04B7&PID_88AA
I added a zipfile containing only the changed file android_winusb.inf as well.

EDIT 2017-03-30: it is not neccessary to use a 32-Bit PC, it is enough to use a 32-Bit virtual machine in vmware, e.g. Windows XP. I just flashed TWRP 3.0 with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sp_flashtool2.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	3273333   Click image for larger version

Name:	sp_flashtool.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	3273335   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtk-preloader-driver.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	3273336   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtk-driver-warning.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	3273337  
Attached Files
File Type: zip android_winusb.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.2 KB, 258 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to francwalter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift francwalter Ad-Free
6th June 2015, 08:47 PM |#9  

More
Hello mr. Walter,

One question about your post. Fixing the INF-file.
Where do I find this file on my computer?
If I go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ClockworkMod\Universal Adb Driver\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf" there is the VID-code from the CAT in it. But your code is different from the one I have found on my device. So I changed your given ID with mine. But when starting "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" no device is found after the command adb reboot recovery. Using the command "adb devices". No device is found.
I searched the computer for this file "android_winusb.inf" and there are more in several places. These files haven't been modified.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Eppo

Edit : Some hours later.
Nevertheless my question about ADB driver (I did it without ADB driver, just copied Super SU to my SD card). I have root now!! Hiphiphuree. Many thanks for Harddisk_WP and francwalter for their work.
The Following User Says Thank You to EppoEppo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EppoEppo Ad-Free
8th June 2015, 10:53 PM |#10  

More
Hello, just read your post, being holiday at moment and rare internet, sorry!
When I understand right, you changed the inf file. But did you install it after that change again?

Good to hear you got root! Cat phone is then really much much better!
27th June 2015, 04:06 PM |#11  

More
Cat B15Q Rooted! BUT....
Quote:
Originally Posted by francwalter

This HowTo is for Cat beginners who want to root their phone and didn't understand the first post like me
You need a bit of knowledge about your phone, what root means, what flashing means, some little more than beginners skills on computers at least. If things like "adb" are really unknown, try to read a bit about it first.
The HowTo in the first post here it was not enough information for me, but with the very big help of Cat-Guru "harddisk_wp" (by online chat and TeamViewer) I got my friends Cat B15Q rooted
So I wrote this little more detailed HowTo for beginners in my level.
But anyway you should first read the first post!
.................................................. ....

Thanks a lot for your step-by-step plan, it worked -almost- perfectly on mt B15Q
Big thumbs up!

There only is one annoying draw-back. The sound-output is nerfed. Doesn't matter if I use Bluetooth, or a head-set.
All music played (FLAC, mp3, etc) will sound horribly flat. I've tried different players, and also had a look around the service menu without any result.
Have any of you guys have experienced the same flaw? And if so, are there workarounds possible? I tend to stream music a lot when I am driving, and it would be a shame having to "de-root" my phone to be able to get the proper sound quality.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cat-b15q

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)