Root for ZTE Max Duo? (Z963VL Straight Talk)

Search This thread

Kitland54

Aug 13, 2016
What I mean is that after typing the command into the terminal, the phone reboots. Once it's back into the OS, I go back to KingRoot and it says it's not rooted.

ufra713

Apr 2, 2017
[solved]Root for ZTE Max Duo? (Z963VL Straight Talk)

You should know we do suggest you root your ZTE devices with KingoRoot APK, because it is no need of connecting your computer.

And before you rooting ZTE Android handsets with KingoRoot, please make some preparation first.

Mentally,You actually should have some knowledge of ROOT. If you don't, please Click here to make sure what you are really doing. After all, rooting your device has both advantages and disadvantages.
Materially, you have to power on your ZTE, make sure it at least 40% battery level and Internet connection (Wi-Fi is suggested).
If you got ready, let's directly goto the guidence below to root your Android device with KingoRoot.

Step 1: Check "unknown sources" on your ZTE and allow installation of KingoRoot.apk(download and install from google play).

Settings > Security > Unknown Sources

Step 2: Launch KingoRoot.apk and hit "One Click Root" to start rooting.

Kingo Root Apk Main Interface

Step 3: Wait for a while, the results will display: succeeded or failed.

Kingo Root Apk Root Succeed

Kitland54

Aug 13, 2016
You should know we do suggest you root your ZTE devices with KingoRoot APK, because it is no need of connecting your computer.

And before you rooting ZTE Android handsets with KingoRoot, please make some preparation first.

Mentally,You actually should have some knowledge of ROOT. If you don't, please Click here to make sure what you are really doing. After all, rooting your device has both advantages and disadvantages.
Materially, you have to power on your ZTE, make sure it at least 40% battery level and Internet connection (Wi-Fi is suggested).
If you got ready, let's directly goto the guidence below to root your Android device with KingoRoot.

Step 1: Check "unknown sources" on your ZTE and allow installation of KingoRoot.apk(download and install from google play).

Settings > Security > Unknown Sources

Step 2: Launch KingoRoot.apk and hit "One Click Root" to start rooting.

Kingo Root Apk Main Interface

Step 3: Wait for a while, the results will display: succeeded or failed.

Kingo Root Apk Root Succeed

Error code 0x14B91F.

Sorry, but I can't root with KingoRoot either.

Jul 2, 2014
I have a friend. I told him to check here. I decide d to help him to learn more about it myself. Kingroot has previously been installed and was working but wouldnt stay of course upon reboot...from reading and my little knowledge....its because he needs an unlocked BL for it to stay after rebooting?! He has flashed various ROMS and a kernel for a ZTE blade and another one for a one plus one shamu....anyway...he has problems.lol. he doesnt have the original ROM. So help with that would be great...its a z963dl with AOS 5.1.1.
(1) where could i get the original ROM to flash it back to original state?
---reason i ask is after installing kingroot. KR said it was rooted while apps said it wasnt. He would try reinstalling KR not going thru recovery and it wouldnt complete reinstallation. He is sitting here now and booted to recovery then went into phone. Now KR seems to be working....he said it wouldnt go thru the processes. So maybe thats gonna work.

So if you guys would kindly direct me to a working ROM for this model. He said he thinks he has a 4.4 Blade ROM that was to boost to 5.1. on it. He said he doesnt know why he did that with the ROM.

UPDATE. KR finished process. KR says its rooted. APPS dont work that need root access. Root checker wont even finish checking for root...just has a busy signal, circular motion. Still checking i suppose.......FINALLY. SAYS NOT ROOTED. It identifies the phone and firmware as being the phone that it is rather than the blade which he had flashed onto ROM.
• my understanding of flashing the ROM..such action should have changed the firmware and model of phone to that which the ROM was flashed. Should say now say phone is a blade firmware 5.1 if it had taken that ROM flash he tried?!! Is that correct?He said nothing in "about phone" has ever changed: firmware, swv, kernel, build number, etc. Seems to me as though it still has original ROM.

I dont suppose its totally bricked...he said all apps work minus all root access required apps.

Any help would be awesome guys. Would surely like to learn more about modding cells. Got experience modding Hu and H card ROMs back in the day. Same principle...a few more steps with different device and functions. Pretty familiar with digital communication, ROMs, and such. Thanks in advance for the help. Of course i will report my findings if they will benefit. On with the educational research. Later. Dt

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Masamune3210

Nov 22, 2016
How do you root this phone, I have tried both the desktop and phone versions of KingoRoot and neither work. Desktop version reboots the phone after installing some app, and there is no root. Android version just errors out

roadkill42

Jul 13, 2013
Moto G7 Power
Try kingoroot pc versions then run kingroot for Android then try the su from play store then go to settings and check the box says system see if that works

Masamune3210

Nov 22, 2016
Tried Kingoroot pc, said it was rooted but supersu said otherwise and no root apps worked. tried android kingoroot and it says failed after sitting at 90 for a minute, and im not sure what su from the play store you are talking about, could you give me a link to it please?

Masamune3210

Nov 22, 2016
Finally found something that would root the phone, KingRoot seems to work, but as expected root won't persist after reboot. Any progress been made on that by chance, and what are the chances of custom recovery and roms

Masamune3210

Nov 22, 2016
No, unfortunately it seems it is not. Usually on a android phone you can hold volume down or another combo to go into a download or bootloader mode, but StraightTalk/TracPhone/whoeveryouwanttoblame seems to have disabled that. All of the means I know of to enter it seem to be disabled as well. I have managed to get stable root on it, but can't get permanent root due to a combo of dm-verity(an annoying bit of security that reverts system writes if done wrong) and some other things. First thing I'm working on is getting that working, but its going slowly due to not having any way to recover if something goes wrong due to not being able to flash a custom recovery of any kind to my knowledge

---------- Post added at 04:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 AM ----------

i can unlock the bootloader, i wonder if we can get root to stick now

Is there anyway you can tell me how you managed to unlock the bootloader, I have managed to get a stable root, and I am working on researching the rest of the phone.

keweminer

Apr 11, 2014
I wonder if there is something internal that enables it. How do they install it at the factory? Maybe an internal jumper or something.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    KingRoot now roots the phone but the bootloader is still locked!

The ZTE max duo LTE (z963vl) can now be rooted via KingRoot but only temporarily. When you reboot the phone you will lose root. You can not make any system changes either still because the bootloader is still locked after root. You can not update BusyBox either. Also when you root the phone with KingRoot it says "This model restricts root authorization". To fix that error just completely close KingRoot and re-open it and it will fix the root authorization error. Dev's or anyone for that matter please help unlock this phone's bootloader please I really want to start getting custom roms and recovery for this phone plus I want to be able to write to /system. I hope this helps as much as possible and I hope the bootloader will become unlocked with all the Devs help. Also I did this with the apk version of KingRoot only because I do not have a PC.
    So a few months ago I bought my first Android phone in years, a ZTE Max Duo from Straight Talk. Unfortunately, since then I have found absolutely nothing about the phone on forums like this, let alone any way to root it. Has anyone managed to root this phone, and if so, how? I don't have regular access to a PC, but if the only way to root it is through a PC, I might ask for permission to use one.
    I figured out how to root the ZTE max duo (z963vl) via (iroot) I have the exact file and can tell u what to enable for root email me at jimmybmxguy@gmail.com il send the file
    Zte duo max z963vl root

figured out how to root the ZTE max duo (z963vl) via (iroot) I have the exact file and can tell u what to enable for root email me at jimmybmxguy@gmail.com il send the file

I would lime a copy of that file an info if it's no bother my email is esteele11111@gmail.com thanks
    I am looking for the same with this phone.. It seems like a great piece of hardware thus far bit could use some tweaks that a root could certainly take care of but no info whatsoever.. Any help with this would be great.