FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Disable the Phone Radio

425 posts
Thanks Meter: 29

By kainppc6700, Account currently disabled on 14th February 2012, 08:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone know of any way to disable the phone radio WITHOUT that stupid "flight mode" or whatever? In Windows Mobile, I had a Comm Manager and I just had to press a button when I wanted to turn off the phone without any stupid flight mode crap, and this is one of my biggest complains about Android. Surely SOMEBODY made software or something to do this.

Puzzled.

- 2B

14th February 2012, 10:42 PM |#2  
Flag Watertown, NY
Thanks Meter: 341

More
Whats wrong with airplane mode? It should allow wifi and bluetooth to work even when in airplane mode.
15th February 2012, 01:06 AM |#3  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Flag Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks Meter: 5,228

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainppc6700

Does anyone know of any way to disable the phone radio WITHOUT that stupid "flight mode" or whatever? In Windows Mobile, I had a Comm Manager and I just had to press a button when I wanted to turn off the phone without any stupid flight mode crap, and this is one of my biggest complains about Android. Surely SOMEBODY made software or something to do this.

Puzzled.

- 2B

Yes, somebody did.
It's a small yet promising company, you might have heard of them. They call themselves "Google".
What exactly is the problem with Airplane Mode? Are you afraid of air travel?
Even so, you know that you can use airplane mode on land too, you don't have to actually get on a plane every time you want to disable your phone's radio, right?
FYI, on Windows Mobile, that button in Comm Manager was in fact an -sit tight!- airplane mode button.

iR¡D@k!* via Tapatalk
15th February 2012, 03:36 PM |#4  
Flag Huntsville, AL, USA
Thanks Meter: 961

More
What do you have against Airplane Mode? That's by far the easiest way to toggle the radio.

The other way would be to open your dialer, dial "*#*#4636#*#*" (INFO), select Phone Information, scroll down, and press the "Turn off radio" button. Much easier than toggling Airplane Mode.... right?
The Following User Says Thank You to codesplice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift codesplice Ad-Free
15th February 2012, 04:29 PM |#5  
Flag Edinburgh, Scotland

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Any solution to this problem? Anyone? I mean, BESIDE the "use flight mode" trolls?

Thank you.

- 2B

Maybe instead of accusing people of trolling, you should try to explain the "PROBLEM". Because quite frankly the way you put it, no one can understand what is wrong. You want to disable radio and that is EXACTLY what flight mode does. Period.
So what exactly is your problem?
15th February 2012, 11:13 PM |#6  
OP Account currently disabled

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridaki

Maybe instead of accusing people of trolling, you should try to explain the "PROBLEM". Because quite frankly the way you put it, no one can understand what is wrong. You want to disable radio and that is EXACTLY what flight mode does. Period.
So what exactly is your problem?

I thought I did a pretty good job explaining, so there's no need to be scared - but incase you and the rest of the "flight trolls" :) missed it, the goal is to find a way to turn off the phone radio without using flight mode.

Thanks.

- 2B
16th February 2012, 12:15 AM |#7  
Flag Huntsville, AL, USA

More
Why not use airplane mode? I'm trying to understand your reasoning here.
16th February 2012, 12:21 AM |#8  
Flag Edinburgh, Scotland

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I thought I did a pretty good job explaining, so there's no need to be scared - but incase you and the rest of the "flight trolls" :) missed it, the goal is to find a way to turn off the phone radio without using flight mode.

Thanks.

- 2B

If you want to turn off the radio, you switch airplane mode on.
Why don't you want to do that????????
We are trying to understand what you don't like about airplane mode since the only thing it does is exactly what you ask for: it turns off the radio.
Let me put this another way:
What if I make a thread and asked, "Does anybody know a way to switch my phone off without using that stupid on/off button?"
Would you be able to help me then?
And if you think this is trolling, keep it like this and you're in for big surprises...

iR¡D@k!* via Tapatalk
16th February 2012, 02:51 PM |#9  
OP Account currently disabled

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridaki

And if you think this is trolling, keep it like this and you're in for big surprises...

iR¡D@k!* via Tapatalk

No, I have experience with trolls. Vast experience. Trust me :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice

Why not use airplane mode? I'm trying to understand your reasoning here.

As I have explained NUMEROUS times prior in this thread, flight mode denies access to ALL radios while it is activated.

- 2B
16th February 2012, 03:04 PM |#10  
Flag Huntsville, AL, USA

More
Quote:

As I have explained NUMEROUS times prior in this thread, flight mode denies access to ALL radios while it is activated.

- 2B

Can you point me to where you have explained NUMEROUS times in this thread about flight mode denying access to ALL radios? I looked back through it and only ever see you mentioning the phone radio, and your strange (and misinformed) aversion to Airplane Mode.

Airplane Mode does not restrict access to all radios. Yes, it will turn them all off when it is first enabled, but you can then turn on the ones you want - bluetooth, wifi, etc.

I used this trick while I was deployed last year - I couldn't access some items in the Market due to where I was and what carrier I was on. I would enable Airplane Mode, turn the Wifi back on, and be able to access those items on the Market once more.

You're welcome.
16th February 2012, 03:46 PM |#11  
Flag Edinburgh, Scotland

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Can you point me to where you have explained NUMEROUS times in this thread about flight mode denying access to ALL radios? I looked back through it and only ever see you mentioning the phone radio, and your strange (and misinformed) aversion to Airplane Mode.

Don't try to reason with insanity.
We were somehow expected and obligated to deduct "turns off all radios" from the characterisation "crappy".

Quote:

Airplane Mode does not restrict access to all radios. Yes, it will turn them all off when it is first enabled, but you can then turn on the ones you want - bluetooth, wifi, etc.

I used this trick while I was deployed last year - I couldn't access some items in the Market due to where I was and what carrier I was on. I would enable Airplane Mode, turn the Wifi back on, and be able to access those items on the Market once more.

You're welcome.

Exactly!
And if turning WiFi and BT back on again is a hassle for anyone, this app works very well for me: https://market.android.com/details?i...d.airplanemode.
Keeps WiFi and BT on after turning on airplane mode.

iR¡D@k!* via Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)