FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Sonim XP8 (Root?)

25 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By ctradio, Junior Member on 7th October 2018, 02:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Finally got tired of the Pixel 2 XL after the third one. Now I have this super rugged handset that I can actually hold on to! Great loud audio too!
The Sonim XP8 comes with a seemingly near stock Android 7.1.1 ROM. OEM unlocking is available in the developer options. I have it enabled. Does anyone know how to use the ADB/Fastboot tools to unlock it? The standard commands do not work. My unit is personal and not under any "enterprise" restrictions. Thanks for any help fellow hackers ... some TWRP would be awesome.
9th December 2018, 08:44 PM |#2  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctradio

Does anyone know how to use the ADB/Fastboot tools to unlock it? The standard commands do not work. My unit is personal and not under any "enterprise" restrictions. Thanks for any help fellow hackers ... some TWRP would be awesome.

(Im)patiently waiting for this too. I don't care if it is single touch or long drawn out process involving a cauldron, hermetic circle, and a full moon. Root is sorely needed...
9th December 2018, 09:51 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuhque

(Im)patiently waiting for this too. I don't care if it is single touch or long drawn out process involving a cauldron, hermetic circle, and a full moon. Root is sorely needed...

Good luck! Still nothing. It looks like we might be able to sign up as a developer on their page .... fwiw. I find the interface on that device to be awful and am in the early stages of fighting AT&T for my money back. That device and another one with the same stupid issues and an admitted software problem that I'd have to wait for the carrier to decide to release. Awesone idea for a device, absolutely rushed to market with god awful software that was new in '16 or so.
9th December 2018, 10:33 PM |#4  
Flag Phoenix

More
Quote:

I find the interface on that device to be awful and am in the early stages of fighting AT&T for my money back. .

I am on T-Mobile and found the factory unlocked version with no bloatware (obtainable directly from the) to be rather refreshing, even if it did set me back an extra $100. I suggest do getting the refund, then turning around and getting the "clean" version. It may be more expensive, but considering how much it costs for monthly insurance, the overall price becomes somewhat more competitive with the 3 year "comprehensive" warranty...
9th December 2018, 11:02 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuhque

I am on T-Mobile and found the factory unlocked version with no bloatware (obtainable directly from the) to be rather refreshing, even if it did set me back an extra $100. I suggest do getting the refund, then turning around and getting the "clean" version. It may be more expensive, but considering how much it costs for monthly insurance, the overall price becomes somewhat more competitive with the 3 year "comprehensive" warranty...

I was told there was no carrier unlocked variant of this thing. Didyou get it from Sonim? Also, any problems at all with it? I had two with touch issues along the right side of the screen (it perceives a light constant touch in various areas and it gets worse the longer the screen is on). The units would eventually start selecting things on its own and even deleting contacts. Also, the speaker phone is useless and the UI is horribly laggy at times (my mind operates fast and it screws with me). I presented them with a "laundry list" of the issues.
10th December 2018, 06:16 AM |#6  
Flag Phoenix

More
Quote:

I was told there was no carrier unlocked variant of this thing. Didyou get it from Sonim? Also, any problems at all with it? I had two with touch issues along the right side of the screen (it perceives a light constant touch in various areas and it gets worse the longer the screen is on). The units would eventually start selecting things on its own and even deleting contacts. Also, the speaker phone is useless and the UI is horribly laggy at times (my mind operates fast and it screws with me). I presented them with a "laundry list" of the issues.

Someone flat out lied to you. Go here: https://store.sonimtech.com/products/sonim-xp8-blk-nam
Well, maybe not lied at the time you were told... I waited several months for them to post it on their store page. In response to your concerns....

No issues with it going all AI on me. Speaker PHONE portion leaves a bit to be desired, but for audio books, this thing is damned awesome and really loud. Not sure how to reference the lag. My previous phone was a Note 4 with issues.
My own complaints. The lock screen is a pain. The default music program is broken in my opinion. I am suffering through with Musicolet for my books.

What sold me on this is that is is one of the last phones made today that has a removable battery (really my only requirement in a new phone), has both gps an glonass, and in a pinch I can use is an a hurled object to an opponents head. Someone complained about the camera, but it seems fine to me. Wouldn't matter much as I am partially colorblind and won't see any difference.

I have only had mine for a week, and am still tweaking the settings to how I want them. Honestly, I like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phuhque For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Phuhque Ad-Free
25th January 2019, 11:47 PM |#7  
Flag Langley
Thanks Meter: 236

More
I would really love to see some support for this phone. Especially since the monsters at Telus have disabled the 2nd sim slot for no good reason. I have tried everything but without Root I am out of luck getting the dual sim feature to function. Is there anything I can provide to assist someone more knowledgeable in getting a root solution for this phone? Please let me know.
18th March 2019, 09:12 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mertin

I would really love to see some support for this phone. Especially since the monsters at Telus have disabled the 2nd sim slot for no good reason. I have tried everything but without Root I am out of luck getting the dual sim feature to function. Is there anything I can provide to assist someone more knowledgeable in getting a root solution for this phone? Please let me know.

Hello,
I just bought this phone. I use 2 sim cards at the same time but it does not work properly: I can receive and make calls, but I can not send or review sms / mms on 1 operator. I use the xp8800 in France, it is a Att model unlocked. to have the 2 sim cards at the same time I rebooted several times, cut the data, without really understanding how I did . is there a way to restart the network part of Android ?
Thanks
Pascal S
The Following User Says Thank You to Pascal S For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pascal S Ad-Free
3rd May 2019, 03:57 AM |#9  
Flag Phoenix

More
I take it we are still coming up snake-eyes when it comes to someone being able to root the XP8. I am rather surprised with the fact it is on 7.1.1. Is this still an unbeatable task to overcome?
11th June 2019, 08:25 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
SONIM XP8 file
ATT full image
https://mega.nz/#!anZmXCAZ!fEuFYIXOA...4g8Siqg0ECSHxg

Unlock fastboot
Step 1, open the developer mode

Go to “Settings” → “About Phone” and click “Version Number” 7 times to open Developer mode.

Step 2, open oemlock

Go to “Settings” → “Other Settings” → “Developer Mode” and open the OEM to unlock;

START mode
fastboot flashing unlock
Attached Files
File Type: 7z XP8elf.7z - [Click for QR Code] (222.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: 7z XP8_Driver_Installation_Flashing_Procedure.7z - [Click for QR Code] (4.77 MB, 0 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to eleotk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eleotk Ad-Free
13th June 2019, 12:47 AM |#11  
Flag Phoenix

More
Firmware update soon.. ??
In May, I sent of another email to Sonim Tech support asking about firmware. I did get a response back. Granted it was rather vague, but it was an answer. Further granted, is is now mid June and no updates in sight including one that allows the viewing of PDF's. grrrr.

The support guy did mention that AT&T is going to be one of the first providers to get the update. That sucks for me because I got my unit direct. He also said the month of May was a non-official time frame.

So still waiting and no success story yet posted of anyone unlocking this little beastie.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
sonim-xp8

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)