25 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By ctradio, Junior Member on 7th October 2018, 02:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th October 2019, 08:05 PM |#31  

More
Quote:

I had to disable DM-Verity in order to mount the system partition as rw.. Needed to remove pre-loaded apps manually over adb. I wonder if DM-Verity could be the determining factor for some kind of boot lock? Looking at the boot flow documentation seems to reflect this could be the case as it would hit "eio" and prevent boot if the boot loader is still locked. So keep that DM Verity option checked when patching in Magisk but be careful before you delete AT&T Device Help lol.

That's actually not a bad start though. Probably easier to force unlock the bootloader once you have su privilege.

Do you mean we cannot remove any apps with Magics without tripping DM-verify and we need to keep DM-verify still enabled in Magics? But we should be able to get rid of AT&T Device Help (and other garbage) once DM-verify is disabled, correct?
Do you remember which specific options you have to change in Magics Manager for modifying boot.img?
-albertr
25th October 2019, 06:49 AM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
It's a default setting within the Magisk manager under advanced called "Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity".

I'm not sure though because if that's accurate then I should be getting a bypassable eio prompt currently and that's not the case.. In fact, when I re-lock the bootloader, the device boots straight into Android with no warnings whatsoever while still rooted with system apps removed.

I think most people use root based apps to remove system apps and these may not require the dm-verity modification.. I'm not sure. I just did it manually over adb and needed to mount the system before I could delete anything.
25th October 2019, 05:44 PM |#33  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyou

It's a default setting within the Magisk manager under advanced called "Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity".

I'm not sure though because if that's accurate then I should be getting a bypassable eio prompt currently and that's not the case.. In fact, when I re-lock the bootloader, the device boots straight into Android with no warnings whatsoever while still rooted with system apps removed.

I think most people use root based apps to remove system apps and these may not require the dm-verity modification.. I'm not sure. I just did it manually over adb and needed to mount the system before I could delete anything.

Interesting, thanks... The more I learn about secure boot, the more I'm getting convinced that unlocked bootloader is required for rooting XP8. We need to disable secure boot. Unlocking the bootloader is one known way to disable it. I'm not aware of other ways to disable it (if there're other ways). With secure boot enabled I just don't see how Magisk would work. I means Magisk modifies boot image which is signed and being verified by secure boot. So if secure boot is still active, it won't allow to boot unsigned image, right? It will end up going into boot loop or worse (trip some fuses that can brick the device).

Are you sure that you still can boot your XP8 with secure boot enabled? (Not sure how it can be verified, thou). Maybe secure boot is disabled on your phone all the time? That would explain alot...

-albertr
25th October 2019, 08:11 PM |#34  

More
Positive. To see if it's enabled we just boot into fastboot. It's listed here. As far as I know Secure Boot is referring to AVB.

I would hate to see us go down this path if it's not relevant. I can probably test this for you tonight on a brand new device.
26th October 2019, 12:12 AM |#35  

More
So you are positive that you can boot your Magisk-modified boot.img with locked bootloader (as displayed when you boot into fastboot menu)?
If that's the case, then Somin ****ed up big time and their secure boot just doesn't work, which is very unusual. How did you re-lock the bootloader? Did you flash the old one (from Sonim's original firmware) back to your phone? Or you are still using your modified bootloader?

-albertr
26th October 2019, 12:44 AM |#36  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert.r

So you are positive that you can boot your Magisk-modified boot.img with locked bootloader (as displayed when you boot into fastboot menu)?
If that's the case, then Somin ****ed up big time and their secure boot just doesn't work, which is very unusual. How did you re-lock the bootloader? Did you flash the old one (from Sonim's original firmware) back to your phone? Or you are still using your modified bootloader?

-albertr

No. Just positive that Secure Boot is still enabled . Will know shortly on the boot-loader note though.

I don't think they messed up.. I just think we don't understand it. Aside from fastboot this is really about the same as a Pixel or anything else.
26th October 2019, 08:54 AM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Which provider is allowing you to upgrade to 8?
26th October 2019, 09:20 AM |#38  

More
Success!.. With an unmodified bootloader. it does trigger a boot warning but it's bypassable (pics below).
https://ibb.co/7YMZS1G
https://ibb.co/GR8xXDK
https://ibb.co/NsLPSgD

Version tested: 7.1.1-10.01.75
fastboot getvar all
Code:
		(bootloader) unlocked:no
		(bootloader) off-mode-charge:1
		(bootloader) charger-screen-enabled:1
		(bootloader) battery-soc-ok:yes
		(bootloader) battery-voltage:3861
		(bootloader) version-baseband:
		(bootloader) version-bootloader:
		(bootloader) variant:SDM EMMC
		(bootloader) partition-type:userdata:ext4
		(bootloader) partition-size:userdata: 0xB877FBE00
		(bootloader) partition-type:system_a:ext4
		(bootloader) partition-size:system_a: 0x100000000
		(bootloader) has-slot:modem:yes
		(bootloader) has-slot:system:yes
		(bootloader) current-slot:_a
		(bootloader) has-slot:boot:yes
		(bootloader) slot-retry-count:_b:0
		(bootloader) slot-unbootable:_b:no
		(bootloader) slot-successful:_b:no
		(bootloader) slot-retry-count:_a:6
		(bootloader) slot-unbootable:_a:no
		(bootloader) slot-successful:_a:yes
		(bootloader) slot-suffixes:_a,_b,
		(bootloader) secure:yes
		(bootloader) serial:######
		(bootloader) product:QC_Reference_Phone
		(bootloader) max-download-size:536870912
		(bootloader) kernel:uefi
		all:
		finished. total time: 0.035s
The Following User Says Thank You to smokeyou For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smokeyou Ad-Free
26th October 2019, 08:00 PM |#39  

More
Nice! So you just took an unmodified XP8800 running android 7.1.1 and did magisk's modified boot.img on it?
What about this Nag screen? Is it a one-time thing or you will be seeing it anytime you boot this phone? Or is it only visible in when you enter fastboot mode?
Which specific options in Magisk Manager did you change from their default values (if any)?
Can you please confirm?

I'm getting inpatient to try it out, but I dont want to mess up my XP8800. Sorry about bombarding you with the questions, but I need to make sure I understand all steps of the process.
-albertr
27th October 2019, 12:00 AM |#40  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert.r

Nice! So you just took an unmodified XP8800 running android 7.1.1 and did magisk's modified boot.img on it?
What about this Nag screen? Is it a one-time thing or you will be seeing it anytime you boot this phone? Or is it only visible in when you enter EDL mode?
Which specific options in Magisk Manager did you change from their default values (if any)?
Can you please confirm?

I'm getting inpatient to try it out, but I dont want to mess up my XP8800. Sorry about bombarding you with the questions, but I need to make sure I understand all steps of the process.
-albertr

All defaults.. Nothing changed on the device or within magisk.

Rooting is a risk no matter what device you have. I really don't want to see you brick your phone dude.

Things do seem to work great but if your hesitant then you should only go into it assuming that it will brick and if you end up with root then call it a lucky day. I had 2 succusses but I'm also the only one here doing full-on testing. For the most part we are speculating around the potential of negative outcomes without determining any level of relevance. All the information I provided is only a foundation for others to start with - not to be seen as a definitive guide.

2 squirrels crossing the road. One of them closed their eyes and took their shot. The other one couldn't fully accept the risk, made it half way across, hesitated, and got hit by a car.

Don't be the hesitant squirrel! If it's not completely worth the risk then stay where you are . At the end of the day It's just ewaste to me but you actually have something to loose here.

--edit-- I forgot to address your other question. The prompt is non-intrusive / "Push to pause".. It lasts for about 5s. Strangely, if you do pause it, it only extends the delay to about 30s and still proceeds on it's own. It took me a few reboots to catch the picture - if your not watching then it's easy to miss even.
27th October 2019, 01:23 AM |#41  

More
Thanks, @smokeyou. I guess it looks like Sonim decided to not prevent XP8800 from booting when secure boot chain fails verification. Interesting....
-albertr
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
sonim-xp8

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)