FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Southern Telecom Smartab

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Racer030, Junior Member on 29th November 2016, 05:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am trying to root my tablet but i cannot find anything that has the model listed specifically. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smartab
Manufacturer Southern Telecom
Model ST1009
Android version 6.0.1
Firware 1.0.0
Kernel version 3.14.0+
Build St1009_20160629
Bn 02.04.009.106.01

9th December 2016, 09:30 PM |#2  
I'm trying to do the same thing, so far with no luck. I will add that this tablet goes by other names, including Polaroid Q1010, Q10, and M10.

I've tried all the usual Android app one-click root apps (iroot, vroot, kingroot, etc.) and they all failed. I tried a PC program called Impactor, which also failed. I've been able to push Supersu.apk, su, and busybox to /data/local/tmp but can't get any further. I tried an adb sideload of something called Poladoiq10root.zip and it complained about an invalid signature.

I've tried adb on Windwos XP, 8.1, and Ubuntu 16.10. I can see the USB device in Ubuntu but can't mount it. The suggestion here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2684210) is that you can open nautilus in su mode and then move stuff on the tablet but nautilus doesn't see the tablet even though the USB driver is loaded. In short, a brick wall at every turn.

How hard can it be to root a generic Chinese tablet?
5th January 2017, 06:06 PM |#3  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele31415

I'm trying to do the same thing, so far with no luck. I will add that this tablet goes by other names, including Polaroid Q1010, Q10, and M10.

I've tried all the usual Android app one-click root apps (iroot, vroot, kingroot, etc.) and they all failed. I tried a PC program called Impactor, which also failed. I've been able to push Supersu.apk, su, and busybox to /data/local/tmp but can't get any further. I tried an adb sideload of something called Poladoiq10root.zip and it complained about an invalid signature.

I've tried adb on Windwos XP, 8.1, and Ubuntu 16.10. I can see the USB device in Ubuntu but can't mount it. The suggestion here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2684210) is that you can open nautilus in su mode and then move stuff on the tablet but nautilus doesn't see the tablet even though the USB driver is loaded. In short, a brick wall at every turn.

How hard can it be to root a generic Chinese tablet?

Have you tried unlocking the bootloader in settings? The option is in developer options once unlocked. I'm curious what exactly this does and if it'll help making root possible. I really hope someone figures this out! Maybe KingRoot will eventually get around to it.

I added the st1009 to the list on KingRoot's device request Google doc.
22nd April 2017, 01:05 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Also have same tablet no luck here on the one click root apps please post update if root comes available
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip247 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Skip247 Ad-Free
30th November 2017, 05:51 AM |#5  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,338

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer030

I am trying to root my tablet but i cannot find anything that has the model listed specifically. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smartab
Model ST1009
Android version 6.0.1
Firware 1.0.0
Kernel version 3.14.0+
Build St1009_20160629
Bn 02.04.009.106.01

I just got the smartab ST7150 from the Walmart Black Thursday sale for $28
SmartTab ST7150 7inch tablet specs include a 7inch display with an HD resolution of 1024×600 pixels, quadcore processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of memory, Micro SD support, Android 7.1.2 Nougat operating system, front and rear cameras, WiFi, Bluetooth and a 2500mAh battery which should give you a good five hours of battery life. Although GPS support on the SmarTab 7inch ST7150 Tablet is not highlighted by Walmart’s product listing,

I am able to see it fine on both windows 7 and My Linux Mint Mate duel boot configuration. Adb works fine and I can boot the tablet into the recovery mode, but it appears that there is no fastboot or bootloader partition installed on it or it is somehow hidden in Nougat. Diskinfo does not list a bootloader partition but because of Nougat's enhanced security, maybe it is hidden without root? I'm not sure.
it does however, have the option in developer options to allow the bootloader to be unlocked. as far as I know, from my Nextbook Ares 8a root solution thread, this does not unlock the bootloader. It allow the bootloader to be unlocked with the fastboot command:
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
One problem is that I can't get a booloader mode. from recovery, when I choose it, it boots to a black screen. It appears that there is not bootloader partition.
Maybe this was done on purpose to foil would be rooters?
20th March 2018, 02:32 PM |#6  
Flag SanAntonio

More
have smartab st1009 too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer030

Smartab
Model ST1009
Android version 6.0.1
Firware 1.0.0
Kernel version 3.14.0+
Build St1009_20160629
Bn 02.04.009.106.01

Just checking to see if you have any new info on rooting or backup upsoftware solutions for this tablet
thankyou for your time
16th April 2018, 09:03 AM |#7  

More
Managed to unlock bootloader, but no TWRP I can find.
I did manage to unlock the bootloader on my Polaroid Q1010/Southern Telecom ST1009, running 6.0.1. But I haven't been able to find a custom recovery to install as of yet. The method that worked for me to unlock the bootloader was first enabling developer options and allowing both OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging, then I opened ADB and typed "adb reboot fastboot", and that brought up a green screen with an android logo in the middle. There was no text visible on the tablet, but fastboot commands worked, most importantly "fastboot flashing unlock" which did the trick. Now I just have to figure out how to either build a custom recovery or pull the files needed for someone else to build it, as I'm not a developer, just a hobbyist. I hope this helps, and I'll update if I get farther.
Note: I just noticed that I couldn't detect this tablet at all via USB unless it was undocked from it's keyboard.
29th October 2018, 09:40 AM |#8  
Have you tried searching for this model as "Viking" or possibly, "Viking Pro"? Good Luck guys. I had a rooted one. Your journey is an educational one.
6th June 2019, 07:45 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
i managed to get mine recognized by adb, tryed adb reboot fastboot, gets to the smartab powered by android screen, and hangs. tryed the oem unlock command, since that could very well be fastboot. no responce from device.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieFlasher

I did manage to unlock the bootloader on my Polaroid Q1010/Southern Telecom ST1009, running 6.0.1. But I haven't been able to find a custom recovery to install as of yet. The method that worked for me to unlock the bootloader was first enabling developer options and allowing both OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging, then I opened ADB and typed "adb reboot fastboot", and that brought up a green screen with an android logo in the middle. There was no text visible on the tablet, but fastboot commands worked, most importantly "fastboot flashing unlock" which did the trick. Now I just have to figure out how to either build a custom recovery or pull the files needed for someone else to build it, as I'm not a developer, just a hobbyist. I hope this helps, and I'll update if I get farther.
Note: I just noticed that I couldn't detect this tablet at all via USB unless it was undocked from it's keyboard.

send me your repo and i will develop twrp for your tablet. it will take less than a day.
14th August 2019, 01:44 AM |#10  

More
Hey did you develop the twrp for the tablet? I too am looking to root it
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_R00ter

i managed to get mine recognized by adb, tryed adb reboot fastboot, gets to the smartab powered by android screen, and hangs. tryed the oem unlock command, since that could very well be fastboot. no responce from device.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

send me your repo and i will develop twrp for your tablet. it will take less than a day.

Hey did you develop the twrp for the tablet? I too am looking to root it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)