FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Wanting to root new CAT S61

18 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By k46tank, Junior Member on 18th July 2018, 11:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

As the title says, I'm wanting to root my new CAT S61. Anyone managed to unlock the bootloader yet? I've played around with it but haven't had any luck so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to k46tank For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k46tank Ad-Free
24th July 2018, 02:02 PM |#2  
Flag Tallinn
Thanks Meter: 15

More
+1, Me too. Just started debating them on facebook, to maybe have some pressure on to unlock the bootloader the nice way. Until that I am ready to donate. I really miss htc sense, coming from 10-year htc spree.
25th July 2018, 03:26 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I have had a few email and chat exchanges with them but haven't made any progress in getting them to provide any help in unlocking the bootloader but I still have my fingers crossed. And yes, I miss htc sense also.......I didn't think I would. FYI, I downloaded Nova Launcher and I set to look much like sense.
3rd August 2018, 06:30 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I've also been on to their support team looking for assistance with this..... Massively unhelpful...
I asked them about possibilities of unlocking the bootloader (I usually void every warranty covering computer equipment I own within days of owning devices) and I was told along the lines of "No. This will void the warranty so we would not allow this on the device.".... Its MY device and MY warranty to void ffs!

Really gets on my tits the attitude they took.

Anyway, am thinking that unlocking the bootloader may end up like a long wait and a bit of a chore; however if anyone is able to get a dump of the stock image it would surely be possible to patch the image with Magisk then "fastboot flash" it back onto the Cat S61?

This should at least give SU access (for busybox and all that lovely stuff) as well as keeping all the FLIR/proprietary laser/VOC sensor stuff.

EDIT: I've got in touch with Bullitt Group directly instead of going through Cat, and am awaiting a reply from them regarding acquiring a factory image I can play around with... Hopefully they will be able to supply it to me!

Regarding unlocking the bootloader, I haven't tried myself yet (because I haven't got around to getting my laptop OS installed again... That's another story entirely involving bad decisions with Kali lol) but if you boot the phone into bootloader mode (power on the device by using either volume up or volume down and power button or the adb reboot bootloader command via USB). Then you may be able to use the fastboot flashing unlock command to unlock the bootloader...
5th August 2018, 07:30 PM |#5  
Flag Tallinn

More
I really miss the sense freestyle themes, where there is no grid and you pick a theme with background image(can be changed) and stickers (just some themed icons with different sizes). Then you place your stickers and assign apps to them. I myself used an archtecure theme, where there were stickers varying feom minimalistic monopoly houses up to vertically big skyscrapers and horizontally long trains. For my gf I made nature theme with nice summer bliss and clouds, deers, rabbits, butterflies and birds. Its just so customizable. I hate being restricted to grids or standard sizes icons or their 2x, 4x and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46tank

I have had a few email and chat exchanges with them but haven't made any progress in getting them to provide any help in unlocking the bootloader but I still have my fingers crossed. And yes, I miss htc sense also.......I didn't think I would. FYI, I downloaded Nova Launcher and I set to look much like sense.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

I just received a 130MB OTA, I hope it was not a security update, casting me out of the gang, when someone finds the cure for the older build. The build LTE_D0201121.0_S61_0.040.02 gave me Flir Youtube streaming option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc1fer

I've also been on to their support team looking for assistance with this..... Massively unhelpful...
I asked them about possibilities of unlocking the bootloader (I usually void every warranty covering computer equipment I own within days of owning devices) and I was told along the lines of "No. This will void the warranty so we would not allow this on the device.".... Its MY device and MY warranty to void ffs!

Really gets on my tits the attitude they took.

Anyway, am thinking that unlocking the bootloader may end up like a long wait and a bit of a chore; however if anyone is able to get a dump of the stock image it would surely be possible to patch the image with Magisk then "fastboot flash" it back onto the Cat S61?

This should at least give SU access (for busybox and all that lovely stuff) as well as keeping all the FLIR/proprietary laser/VOC sensor stuff.

EDIT: I've got in touch with Bullitt Group directly instead of going through Cat, and am awaiting a reply from them regarding acquiring a factory image I can play around with... Hopefully they will be able to supply it to me!

Regarding unlocking the bootloader, I haven't tried myself yet (because I haven't got around to getting my laptop OS installed again... That's another story entirely involving bad decisions with Kali lol) but if you boot the phone into bootloader mode (power on the device by using either volume up or volume down and power button or the adb reboot bootloader command via USB). Then you may be able to use the fastboot flashing unlock command to unlock the bootloader...

5th August 2018, 09:19 PM |#6  

More
LTE_D0201121.0_S61_0.040.02 is the build I'm on as well, so don't worry too much... However I've been on this build since sometime in July, so don't know why you've only just got the OTA 🤔

Anyway, the other thought I have been having is trying to port across a custom recovery from the Motorola Moto X4. Same chipset, same RAM, same board and same screen resolution, so it just might work... Once I get hold of a flash dump and unlock the bootloader that is 😁 I'm getting a bit ahead of myself!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luc1fer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift luc1fer Ad-Free
30th September 2018, 08:08 AM |#7  
Flag Tallinn

More
Just received another OTA, September 1st patch, LTE_D0201121.0_S61_0.046.02. Radio is LTE_D0201121.1_S61 after the update. This one was larger, but I forgot to screenshot the exact changes and size.
9th November 2018, 11:40 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by luc1fer

LTE_D0201121.0_S61_0.040.02 is the build I'm on as well, so don't worry too much... However I've been on this build since sometime in July, so don't know why you've only just got the OTA 🤔

Anyway, the other thought I have been having is trying to port across a custom recovery from the Motorola Moto X4. Same chipset, same RAM, same board and same screen resolution, so it just might work... Once I get hold of a flash dump and unlock the bootloader that is I'm getting a bit ahead of myself!

Is any progress?
I am not a programmer, and can not help anything. Looking forward good news!!
12th November 2018, 11:39 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Hi there, also looking forward for root, will hopefully get the phone end of the year...
13th November 2018, 02:24 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogghi

Hi there, also looking forward for root, will hopefully get the phone end of the year...

I will not buy it until it is rootable.
The Following User Says Thank You to omanol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift omanol Ad-Free
16th November 2018, 12:54 PM |#11  

More
Nope, no luck as of yet... Nothing I seem to try is giving me any options or progress.

Rather frustrated carrying round 2 devices lol one for root apps and the s61 for everything else!

Still impressed at the phone though, VERY utilitarian!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luc1fer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift luc1fer Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cat-s61

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)