Wanting to root new CAT S61

18 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By k46tank, Junior Member on 18th July 2018, 10:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th August 2019, 09:38 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Any luck on this yet? I still see nothing about rooting this damn thing anywhere online besides the few posts here, sad
10th August 2019, 10:35 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Funny, I forgot to subscribe to this topic, but just had the same thought this morning and wanted to ask how things are here...
13th September 2019, 08:21 AM |#23  
Flag Tallinn
Thanks Meter: 15

More
There has been no updates after may for me, that makes me thinking.. can any of these vulnerabilities in Android be used to achieve temp root at least? I promise to pay 100€ via paypal to anyone who will make rooting the damn device possible. If many people are involved, I will divide the amount. I really want to tweak it to have the amazing toolbox live longer, but the current software is just crap.
28th September 2019, 05:28 AM |#24  

More
wäre auch sehr erfreut wenn endlich jemand das gerät entsperren könnte was muss man tun das jemand der das kann sich damit beschäftigt..??
29th September 2019, 11:50 AM |#25  

More
Android Pie update for CAT S61 is out. DO NOT UPDATE !!!

After this update many things are very bad - battery is drained in half a day, nothing helps. (Lasted 4-5 days before this update)
Cell signal is very weak now indoors, jumps from 4G to H or EDGE or interruprs completely. (Used to be excellent strength everywhere before this update).
And some of the Android Pie user experience improvements are not there also - like rotation toggle icon (it is not there for phones with physical buttons)
And no Adaptive Battery option. (Substratum also not working anymore)

Basically - you wont get anything from this update, but you lose most of the usability.
30th September 2019, 06:21 AM |#26  
Flag Earth
Thanks Meter: 10

More
****, ****, ****!
I did it
1st October 2019, 09:16 AM |#27  

More
How to downgrade? Is there Android 8 stock ROM available somewhere?
1st October 2019, 07:49 PM |#28  

More
I contacted CAT support, but no answer yet.

But probably cannot downgrade anyway. (because installing a downloaded ROM would need root - only the official over-the-air update (downgrade) would help)

I also did a factory reset after this update - got my phone cleaner, but problems remained and additional problems occured. Now I cannot connect with my smartwatch anymore and all my health data is probably gone (years of statistical data). Should have backed up that before the reset, but since the data is also inside the smartwatch, I did not think this is neccessary. Now the data is in the watch and to access it I should sync it with the phone, but since something changed in the phone with the factory reset, the watch wont recognize the phone anymore and to make it work, the watch must also undergo a factory reset. (which destroys the data)

So, if anyone updated their CAT S61 to the Android Pie and also has it paired with a smartwatch, DON'T do a factory reset to the phone, before getting all the data from the watch to some safe location (online)

Best thing to do - wait for the successor to CAT S61
3rd October 2019, 04:19 PM |#29  

More
Looks like I restarted this thread lol.

Anyway yea I updated as well, but I have issues too but I don't think as bad as CALEB3. My issues are more with the new layouts of everything and how everything works now, I think more so annoying than anything else. I will list my annoyance/issues here:

Brightness - Always bright, which is good while awake but at night it's too damn bright and even with the yellow night light tint on its hardly noticeable because its so bright. I usually keep my phone dim to save on battery and I hate it being so bright most of the time like it's glowing and the auto brightness would sometimes get annoying because my hand would be over the camera and it would dim too dark a lot of times or being outside I would have to raise the brightness even with auto on. Now though the slider seems to move with the auto brightness and that is kind of annoying because I cannot manually control it if needed while on auto, but also good because it's keeping my phone brighter better when needed. So it mostly just sucks having it so bright at night or dark places when I wanna keep stealth lol.

Volume - Is now a small bar on the right side of the phone and only controls the media but sometimes randomly controls ringtone? This one is really annoying and confusing, first of all its too small to be able to have better volume control and only controlling media sucks and also has no drop down but sometimes the ringtone volume go up and down with it, weird. So if I want to change say ringtone I have to open up settings or if I want the volume up or down I can't tell if I have to hit it once or twice? I think it's twice meaning once to open the volume and then another to go up or down (again I think, it's hard to tell or randomly changes) where as before it was just up or down while the phone was on or off and something was playing. Also whenever I connect my phone to a charger it makes a loud connect sound when my media and ringtone are both low, so this is just auto set to loud with no way to change it?

Air Quality - The app now just shows the color icon and says Air quality in smaller letters with a big notification bar and doesn't say bad or anything. This seems more like an app update but none of these apps seem like they are going to update (or have they and I just haven't noticed?). Not a big deal but just makes it seem more pointless
*Edit* This might be fixed or working right idk

Home Page Swipe Up - I'm not sure if this is an android update or if this is just on the CAT but when you swipe up on the home screen to go to your apps it brings up the open apps and that's annoying because if I wanted those I would push the button for that. There's no need for that and just makes more steps to scroll to the apps and makes accidentally closing them all the more possible as well. Is this changeable at all?
*edit already*: I just closed my game trying to swipe up for apps while looking for more issues lol wtf who thought this was a good idea?

App - I had to delete Portal Sounds app (based off the Portal game) because it kept crashing, I know this is based on the android update itself mostly but sucks that I had to delete it because of that.

Data Saver - Turning on/off data saver now closes my game instead of just changing it with the game staying open why? I only do that because of a weapon in the game that vibrates the phone loudly and gets annoying at times (like at work but now it closes the game. I'm not sure if this is just that game or if this is everything or if it's android or the phone doing it.

Also swiping to close an app changed, I think this is just the new android change but still annoying after getting used to the usual swipe to close an app. Also as far as battery goes I haven't noticed much change, it seems good for me still, CALEB3 the new update might have affected an app that you have that is making it drain? That would seem likely to be the reason since I don't seem to have any battery issues and cell signal always sucked for me so that didn't make mine worse lol. I don't think I ever get 4G anyway because it was an unlocked phone that's usually what happens to me. Does it change from the up/down bar icon to 4G or does it just add a little 4G icon? If it's the first then I don't think I ever get 4G, if it's the latter then idk.
3rd October 2019, 04:22 PM |#30  

More
There has to be a way to downgrade somehow. Do vendors / repair shops offer some kind of hard reset that would rollback version?
3rd October 2019, 05:00 PM |#31  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrob183

Also as far as battery goes I haven't noticed much change, it seems good for me still, CALEB3 the new update might have affected an app that you have that is making it drain? That would seem likely to be the reason since I don't seem to have any battery issues and cell signal always sucked for me so that didn't make mine worse lol. I don't think I ever get 4G anyway because it was an unlocked phone that's usually what happens to me. Does it change from the up/down bar icon to 4G or does it just add a little 4G icon? If it's the first then I don't think I ever get 4G, if it's the latter then idk.

My battery drain after the Android Pie update is deffinitely not an app issue - I did a factory reset afterwards, just to be sure. And even without any additional apps battery drains very fast now. I work in the construction business and before this update I had a strong 4G signal in every indoor room and basement. Now I only get a good signal on upper floors or outside. I'd say the signal reception has gone from 100% to about 20% (It mostly shows H+ or E or sometimes 3G icon instead of 4G now. And if I try to connect, the signal often cuts off completely. I have to search for a better reception and hold the phone in a certain angle now every time I need to use the internet or make a call.)
And I think that battery drain is partially caused by the reception problems, because bad reception = battery drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_the_rapist

There has to be a way to downgrade somehow. Do vendors / repair shops offer some kind of hard reset that would rollback version?

No kind of reset won't downgrade the phone's operating system, because system upgrade overwrites the old system and it is completely replaced with the new one. There is nowhere in the memory some kind of a backup of the old OS. Hard reset only cleans the new OS and wipes anything that is installed and configured by the user.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cat-s61

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)