Thanks Meter: 3

By k46tank, Junior Member on 18th July 2018, 11:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd October 2019, 06:00 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrob183

Also as far as battery goes I haven't noticed much change, it seems good for me still, CALEB3 the new update might have affected an app that you have that is making it drain? That would seem likely to be the reason since I don't seem to have any battery issues and cell signal always sucked for me so that didn't make mine worse lol. I don't think I ever get 4G anyway because it was an unlocked phone that's usually what happens to me. Does it change from the up/down bar icon to 4G or does it just add a little 4G icon? If it's the first then I don't think I ever get 4G, if it's the latter then idk.

My battery drain after the Android Pie update is deffinitely not an app issue - I did a factory reset afterwards, just to be sure. And even without any additional apps battery drains very fast now. I work in the construction business and before this update I had a strong 4G signal in every indoor room and basement. Now I only get a good signal on upper floors or outside. I'd say the signal reception has gone from 100% to about 20% (It mostly shows H+ or E or sometimes 3G icon instead of 4G now. And if I try to connect, the signal often cuts off completely. I have to search for a better reception and hold the phone in a certain angle now every time I need to use the internet or make a call.)
And I think that battery drain is partially caused by the reception problems, because bad reception = battery drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_the_rapist

There has to be a way to downgrade somehow. Do vendors / repair shops offer some kind of hard reset that would rollback version?

No kind of reset won't downgrade the phone's operating system, because system upgrade overwrites the old system and it is completely replaced with the new one. There is nowhere in the memory some kind of a backup of the old OS. Hard reset only cleans the new OS and wipes anything that is installed and configured by the user.
3rd October 2019, 06:03 PM |#32  

More
Some official vendor must have a way to unlock the bootloader and install the factory image back to the device
3rd October 2019, 08:19 PM |#33  

More
Quote:

Some official vendor must have a way to unlock the bootloader and install the factory image back to the device

Sure someone has a way to do so, ...but they wont. Believe me, I have asked repeatedly. Everthing gets just one answer - "NO!"
The manufacturer has decided that users are not allowed to do anything that changes the phone's system files.
I'm still waiting for the answer from my last letter to the support, but no high hopes here.

This is absurd, I know - when I buy the phone, it's mine. And mine alone, so I should be able to do whatever the f_ck I want with it.
Some manufacturers allow to root their phones, saying that this would void the warranty, but at least users can have a choice.

However - there is one way to get back the original operating system, but this involves buying a broken CAT S61 and taking out the part (the whole circuit board, or the memory chip) that has the OS installed on, and then physically replace it with the one in your phone. (This particular part must not be broken and must not have the Android Pie installed on). I'm actually thinking of doing this myself, because I want a new shiny undented frame (about 34 $) to my CAT S61 anyway, so by taking the phone apart enables me to do two things at once. Need to find a cheap donor phone before.
3rd October 2019, 09:11 PM |#34  

More
I understand. I tried searching for broken S61 on ebay, replacing the motherboard I assume wouldn't be too difficult. I didn't find any broken phones, but I don't think giving half the price of the phone just to downgrade the hard way is justifiable.

Anyway, what I was pissed of the most was allegedly losing the ability of call recording on Android Pie. Debating the legality of this is moot at this point and playing back a few recent calls were quiet. However I reinstalled ACR and lo and behold, all of the calls were recorded.

So it seems that S61 is immune to Android Pie's restrictions on call recording.
4th October 2019, 12:43 PM |#35  

More
Quote:

So it seems that S61 is immune to Android Pie's restrictions on call recording.

Did you do a factory reset also ? If not, then there may be some remnants left from the previous operating system that enable some of the previous functions to work. I had some non-Pie functions also working, but not anymore after the factory reset. But the factory reset helped to make system cleaner and slightly improved the battery - not much, but from half a day to almost a full day with one charge. (used to be 4-5 days before this wretched update)
4th October 2019, 12:45 PM |#36  

More
No reset, just upgrade. I also don't see any battery issues.
4th October 2019, 06:18 PM |#37  

More
Quote:

No reset, just upgrade. I also don't see any battery issues.

Battery issues may be caused by the weakened cell reception signal. If you live somewhere with a strong signal, you may not notice this.
It seems to be fine outside or on higher floors, but that's not good enough for me.
I work mostly below ground level (basements etc.) and I noticed these issues right after this wretched update.
I used to have a good reception everywhere before , but now I cannot use my phone normally anymore where I work.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

I finally got an answer from the CAT support: they did not answer anything about how to downgrade, but they said they are working hard to resolve these issues.
Looks like some kind of a generic answer though, because they also suggested to uninstall apps one-by-one to test if these issues go away.
As I already did a factory reset, wiping everything, but the issues remained, I replied to them that it cannot be an app problem.
Hopefully they release some kind of a fix soon or I am forced to switch over to some rivalling company's phone...
8th October 2019, 11:02 PM |#38  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALEB3

My battery drain after the Android Pie update is deffinitely not an app issue - I did a factory reset afterwards, just to be sure. And even without any additional apps battery drains very fast now. I work in the construction business and before this update I had a strong 4G signal in every indoor room and basement. Now I only get a good signal on upper floors or outside. I'd say the signal reception has gone from 100% to about 20% (It mostly shows H+ or E or sometimes 3G icon instead of 4G now. And if I try to connect, the signal often cuts off completely. I have to search for a better reception and hold the phone in a certain angle now every time I need to use the internet or make a call.)
And I think that battery drain is partially caused by the reception problems, because bad reception = battery drain.

No kind of reset won't downgrade the phone's operating system, because system upgrade overwrites the old system and it is completely replaced with the new one. There is nowhere in the memory some kind of a backup of the old OS. Hard reset only cleans the new OS and wipes anything that is installed and configured by the user.

Quote:

Battery issues may be caused by the weakened cell reception signal. If you live somewhere with a strong signal, you may not notice this.
It seems to be fine outside or on higher floors, but that's not good enough for me.
I work mostly below ground level (basements etc.) and I noticed these issues right after this wretched update.
I used to have a good reception everywhere before , but now I cannot use my phone normally anymore where I work.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

I finally got an answer from the CAT support: they did not answer anything about how to downgrade, but they said they are working hard to resolve these issues.
Looks like some kind of a generic answer though, because they also suggested to uninstall apps one-by-one to test if these issues go away.
As I already did a factory reset, wiping everything, but the issues remained, I replied to them that it cannot be an app problem.
Hopefully they release some kind of a fix soon or I am forced to switch over to some rivalling company's phone...

Hmm weird, yea I guess it's not an app issue, maybe the update broke your phone somehow lol. Sorry to laugh but for me I've always had low reception and for me it seems to be based on my phone choices not being directly from ATT, ever since I started using unlocked phones, I'd be happy to see 3G. My CatS61 has never displayed 3G or anything higher, always lower and I've never had battery issues unless it was an app, that was the only reason I said that. After the update I haven't gone below probably 30-40% that I can recall, mine actually seems to last longer if that sounds weird.

Also based off my last post, the air quality issue was not fixed, only on certain notifications it might show up correctly but when the phone is off, it does not, it's confusing lol.
9th October 2019, 05:51 AM |#39  

More
I switched my network from 4G to 2G and internet is working now (only very slow) and reception is good.
This is the proof that this Android 9 upgrade broke the 4G.
There are similar cases about CAT S61 Android Pie update reported in GSMArena too: https://www.gsmarena.com/cat_s61-reviews-9076.php
9th October 2019, 07:57 PM |#40  

More
Quote:

I switched my network from 4G to 2G and internet is working now (only very slow) and reception is good.
This is the proof that this Android 9 upgrade broke the 4G.
There are similar cases about CAT S61 Android Pie update reported in GSMArena too: https://www.gsmarena.com/cat_s61-reviews-9076.php

Hmm that's good but how were you able to change from 4G to 2G? It sucks there seem to be a lot of problems, it doesn't seem like they fully worked out this Android 9 update, I hope they put out an update to fix this phone, otherwise it kind of makes this phone not what it's meant to be.

P.S. Does anyone know how to get the SIM 1 slot working by chance? That was another issue I had right when I got this phone, it only sucks because using slot 2 means I cannot use an SD card anyone else have this issue?
9th October 2019, 09:42 PM |#41  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrob183

Hmm that's good but how were you able to change from 4G to 2G? It sucks there seem to be a lot of problems, it doesn't seem like they fully worked out this Android 9 update, I hope they put out an update to fix this phone, otherwise it kind of makes this phone not what it's meant to be.

P.S. Does anyone know how to get the SIM 1 slot working by chance? That was another issue I had right when I got this phone, it only sucks because using slot 2 means I cannot use an SD card anyone else have this issue?

To change your network type manually from 4G to 2G:

1. Go to Settings
2. Select Network & internet
3. Select Mobile Network
4. Select Advanced
5. Select Preferred network type
6. Select 2G

Wha do you mean by "get the SIM 1 slot working" ? It doesn't work at all ?

Using two SIM cards usually means you cannot use an SD card, but with the amount of memory this phone has, do you really need to ?
(Actually there is a possibility to use both SIMs and SD on this phone - you have to cut both - SIM card and SD card thinner to mount them at the same slot. There are many instructions of how to do this. It is the same procedure for many phones with the same problem)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cat-s61

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)