Thanks Meter: 3

By k46tank, Junior Member on 18th July 2018, 10:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th October 2019, 08:42 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrob183

Hmm that's good but how were you able to change from 4G to 2G? It sucks there seem to be a lot of problems, it doesn't seem like they fully worked out this Android 9 update, I hope they put out an update to fix this phone, otherwise it kind of makes this phone not what it's meant to be.

P.S. Does anyone know how to get the SIM 1 slot working by chance? That was another issue I had right when I got this phone, it only sucks because using slot 2 means I cannot use an SD card anyone else have this issue?

To change your network type manually from 4G to 2G:

1. Go to Settings
2. Select Network & internet
3. Select Mobile Network
4. Select Advanced
5. Select Preferred network type
6. Select 2G

Wha do you mean by "get the SIM 1 slot working" ? It doesn't work at all ?

Using two SIM cards usually means you cannot use an SD card, but with the amount of memory this phone has, do you really need to ?
(Actually there is a possibility to use both SIMs and SD on this phone - you have to cut both - SIM card and SD card thinner to mount them at the same slot. There are many instructions of how to do this. It is the same procedure for many phones with the same problem)
9th October 2019, 11:46 PM |#42  
OP Junior Member

More
I haven't had any battery issues since the update to Pie but I definitely have had reception issues. When the phone was new I had poor reception but one of the updates that CAT pushed out about six or eight months ago fixed it. Now after the Pie upgrade it is as bad if not worse than it was when new before the fix.

If you go to Settings>Network&Internet>Mobile Network>Advanced>Preferred Network Type a window pops-up allowing you to pick 2g.

As far as the SIM slots, both of mine were enabled out of the box. As a matter of fact, I have the second SIM chip glued to the back of a SD card so I can utilize both SIM cards and the SD storage. It isn't hard to do but I did brick one SD card by sanding it down just a little too much so go slow.

I am still looking for a way to root and install a custom recovery to this phone.
10th October 2019, 09:36 PM |#43  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALEB3

To change your network type manually from 4G to 2G:

1. Go to Settings
2. Select Network & internet
3. Select Mobile Network
4. Select Advanced
5. Select Preferred network type
6. Select 2G

Wha do you mean by "get the SIM 1 slot working" ? It doesn't work at all ?

Using two SIM cards usually means you cannot use an SD card, but with the amount of memory this phone has, do you really need to ?
(Actually there is a possibility to use both SIMs and SD on this phone - you have to cut both - SIM card and SD card thinner to mount them at the same slot. There are many instructions of how to do this. It is the same procedure for many phones with the same problem)

Yea my SIM slot 1 has never worked, I took it to an ATT store to get the phone setup and it took forever 1 because the guy was so confused by this phone and 2 because SIM 1 wasn't working so it ended up in slot 2. To this day I still haven't filled it up you're right but it still would be nice to be able to use the slot was all. I didn't know it was possible to ghetto rig to fit both lol. I'll have to look into that when/if it comes time to. Also for the SIM issue I've seen other posts about that problem as well so I don't think I'm the only one, I tried once and couldn't get it working either and tried again after this update to see if that fixed the issue and still nothing.

Also my network is set to LTE (recommended) isn't that lower than 2G or 3G?
10th October 2019, 10:30 PM |#44  
OP Junior Member

More
I would definitely contact CAT support about the non-working SIM slot. They will probably replace it under warranty BUT you will have to ship it to them and then wait while they check it out and repair it or send you a replacement. Unfortunately, I don't think they do advance replacements but you can always ask/beg/plead.

I believe LTE and 4g are about the same just different bands/channels and offered by different providers, e.g. Sprint vs Verizon but I could be wrong on that.
11th October 2019, 03:44 PM |#45  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k46tank

I would definitely contact CAT support about the non-working SIM slot. They will probably replace it under warranty BUT you will have to ship it to them and then wait while they check it out and repair it or send you a replacement. Unfortunately, I don't think they do advance replacements but you can always ask/beg/plead.

I believe LTE and 4g are about the same just different bands/channels and offered by different providers, e.g. Sprint vs Verizon but I could be wrong on that.

I see LTE is 4G, I should of just googled it earlier lol, it sounds like its lite like a low quality signal but I guess not, I'll have to look into the support for the SIM slot if I ever get around to doing that.

The outside of the phone right now my letters are falling off on the back of my phone and I glued all but the C and now the C is moving around. The arrow on the bottom folded back somehow recently after being glued which is really annoying. Anyone else have that problem?
11th October 2019, 06:16 PM |#46  
OP Junior Member

More
Yep, my letters started coming off after about three months. I think the glue they used isn't very durable. I gave up trying to keep them attached and finally pulled them off and cleaned off the remaining sticky mess. The case doesn't look quite as good without the chrome letters, but unless someone had really looked at it before they came off I don't think anyone would ever notice they aren't there.
Yesterday, 08:29 AM |#47  

More
A facebook conversation with Bullitt Group is going as someone would expect:

Quote:

hello, regarding cat phone s61
recently it was updated to android 9. it broke functionality of some apps and degraded performance
can you please provide option to downgrade back to android 8 (oreo)
either via OTA, or if you can provide stock rom image?

Quote:

Hi, we're very sorry to hear your phone has been experiencing issues since the update to Android 9. Regrettably we cannot push through the previous software so that your phone can be downgraded.
We'll pass this feedback onto our technical and development team so they can look into what may be causing this issue, and can develop a fix.
it would be great to have an option to reset the phone to the previous android version. usually this is done by uploading the factory image via bootloader. but the bootloader is not unlocked
We appreciate your feedback and can understand why you'd want to do this but unfortunately we cannot assist regarding going backwards a software version.

Quote:

there are also requests from the community about rooting the device

Quote:

Yes we can understand and we have seen some requests regarding this. Unfortunately we cannot assist rooting your phone as it is not something we can encourage. Rooting the phone will void any warranty that is on your phone so we would not recommend doing this.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cat-s61

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)