Everything Huawei Y550 - Root/CWM/TWRP

Search This thread

Matt_31

Jan 22, 2015
Santa Cruz de la Sierra
The ONLY way to reflash your system is to flash it using the phone built-in flasher.
As already mentioned put the update.app in a 'dload' folder in the root directory of your SD card. Turn off your phone and press Power+Volume up+Volume Down simultaneously. I did that already more then 3 times and it's working perfect!

This will start the flash operation immediately. After its done your phone should work like before.

Ok, will do so. Do I have to download the file mentioned in this thread, the so called "ROM". I will let you know if it works but it will take some time
because the internet over here is pretty slow, takes about 4 hours to download the rom...

lin_ux

Of course, link working. File sits on my own paid file sharing account for us :p

That's why I wrote "kindly provided" because it is very kind of you to do that :highfive:

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Ok, will do so. Do I have to download the file mentioned in this thread, the so called "ROM". I will let you know if it works but it will take some time
because the internet over here is pretty slow, takes about 4 hours to download the rom...
The advise hecaex has given you is very good, it is lucky to have so many helpful people in here...
Good luck!

Reactions: Matt_31

doveman

Dec 14, 2012
London
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

Thanks for this tip. Interestingly on my Moto G it already has the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE set as above, just the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE needed "sdcard_rw" adding. I'm running stock firmware still but maybe whatever method I used to root or some other mod (busybox or Obb on SD http://xdaforums.com/xposed/modules/mod-obb-sd-v0-1-t2884004 ) changed it.

Reactions: Matt_31

Matt_31

Jan 22, 2015
Santa Cruz de la Sierra
thank you soooooooo much guys! it HAS worked, I ´ve got the phone back..... whooooooooooo whoooooooooooooo :D:D:D:D:D:D
I have spent like a month to figure this out.. finally..

Now I only have to find out how to unlock the sim, because I can´t use the bolivian sim card...
Actually, wehn I start the phone, it asks for the PIN for the simcard, I put it in, and it works. Then, once again, I get asked
"unlock SIM". I put in the sim of the sim card, but nothing, can´t be unblocked. Do you have any clue what I can do?
BTW: The fastboot screen tells me "phone unlocked"..

Last edited:

Matt_31

Jan 22, 2015
Santa Cruz de la Sierra
Ok, uhhmI proceed exactly with the manual so kindly provided in this thread but I can´t get rooting.
DO I have to do anything else after installing the super user? I checked the rooting and it says that there
is an inadequat rooting on the device? :confused::confused::confused:

Matt_31

Jan 22, 2015
Santa Cruz de la Sierra
Hey its me again, sorry for being such a p**n in the a** but this is kind of urgent..

Now I have tried the CWM and then the superuser update, no rooting. Like 3 times.

Then I have tried the root genius, nothing. I have been looking for other solutions.. but nothing so far..

Please, if you have any idea, let me know. Thanks a lot!:good:

Below a picture of the annoying dialogue I get all the time:
2kke1u.jpg

It says "insert sim unlock code" and below "unblock" or "dismiss"

Last edited:

klaidone

Jun 12, 2014
Skrunda
Good morning! One small question about Huawei Y550. - How to correctly install Link2SD on this phone? I have 32GD SD card, tried all from this tread: http://goo.gl/wAkkbk
but w/o success.
"Mount script cannot be created. Invalid argument. " I saw the 2nd partition not mounted. Phone is rooted and CWM v6.0.5.1 installed. But in CWM menu no option for partition sd card. Tried with Mini-Tool on Windows. Also "Invalid argument". Tried ext2, ext3, ext4. Works with FAT32, but I lost apps, because on 2nd partition wasn't stored anything. I saw there 4kB only. Someone has experience for that?

Sparkrite

Jan 9, 2014
Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Lite
Hey its me again, sorry for being such a p**n in the a** but this is kind of urgent..

Now I have tried the CWM and then the superuser update, no rooting. Like 3 times.

Then I have tried the root genius, nothing. I have been looking for other solutions.. but nothing so far..

Please, if you have any idea, let me know. Thanks a lot!:good:

Below a picture of the annoying dialogue I get all the time:
2kke1u.jpg

It says "insert sim unlock code" and below "unblock" or "dismiss"

Rooting has nothing to do with Sim/Network unlocking and rooting the phone will not rid you of this message.
You need to get/buy the unlock code for the phone, for instance, around €2 on Ebay.

klaidone

Jun 12, 2014
Skrunda
Does anyone know the menu options to make CWM backups go to the SD card and not internal phone memory?

I had a very brown trousers moment when I tried to make a backup and it filled the internal memory.. and then stopped the phone from being able to boot. Thought I had bricked it (especially after clearing cache and data, with still no reboot).

Deleting the backups from within CWM fixed the problem. Phew!

From what I can work out the top menu "Backup and Restore" leads to these second level options:
1) backup image
2) restore image
3) delete image
4) restore -> with options
5) backup (to SD?)
6) restore (from SD?)
7 delete image from SD?
8) restore -> with options from SD?

Can anyone confirm or correct these?
Correct translation is there: http://goo.gl/9HgFHR
1. backup image to internal SD
2. restore image from internal SD
3. delete image from internal SD
4. restore image with options from internal SD
5. backup image to external SD
6. restore image from external SD
7. delete image from external SD
9. restore image with options from external SD

Last edited:

dimspace

Apr 28, 2012
Newcastle
velorooms.com
Updated link for CWM (this is my webspace) Link

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

Good morning! One small question about Huawei Y550. - How to correctly install Link2SD on this phone? I have 32GD SD card, tried all from this tread: http://goo.gl/wAkkbk
but w/o success.
"Mount script cannot be created. Invalid argument. " I saw the 2nd partition not mounted. Phone is rooted and CWM v6.0.5.1 installed. But in CWM menu no option for partition sd card. Tried with Mini-Tool on Windows. Also "Invalid argument". Tried ext2, ext3, ext4. Works with FAT32, but I lost apps, because on 2nd partition wasn't stored anything. I saw there 4kB only. Someone has experience for that?

normally i just partition the sd card on my computer remembering to set both partitions as primary.

ive moved most things just using link2sd native method and have 400mb free

klaidone

Jun 12, 2014
Skrunda
Updated link for CWM (this is my webspace) Link
---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

normally i just partition the sd card on my computer remembering to set both partitions as primary.
ive moved most things just using link2sd native method and have 400mb free
With 4GB microSD card all working, but with 32GB - not - "invalid argument". Tried two 32GB microSD. Partitioned with all methods - Mini-Tool, Easeus and on phone with Aparted app. After partitioning, 2nd partition on both 32GB cards was file system "other", but on 4GB card file system was right - ext2. Maybe my 32GB microSD cards not supporting those methods of partitioning? Aparted see 2nd partition as ext2. But this partition is in red color. Hm? I bought Link2SD and I'm frustrated now. Wathed hundreds videos on Youtube about this error - nothing helps. But - this question is not for our subject, right.

hecaex

Dec 25, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Attachments

• CAM00001.jpg
    CAM00001.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 389

lintern

May 6, 2011
Has been 2 days.

How long did any of you have to wait for your bootloader unlock code? I've sent them a email a couple days ago and just now as well. I just want to get cracking with rooting my y550.

lin_ux

How long did any of you have to wait for your bootloader unlock code? I've sent them a email a couple days ago and just now as well. I just want to get cracking with rooting my y550.
Why not try the DIY method mentioned earlier in this thread, you can get your unlock code in just a few minutes.
http://en.club.vmall.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=30795
It worked well for me, and a few others by the look of it...
Good luck.

PS. Out of curiosity I sent 3 emails to Huawei asking for the unlock code, but have never received a reply, that's why I was so happy to be able to work out the code by myself.

Reactions: El User

klaidone

Jun 12, 2014
Skrunda
I generated my code by myself, too. And after that i received same unlock code from Huawei. In email must be word "urgent", another way they don't respond! :)
My email:
Subject:
Urgent - need bootloader unlock code for Huawei Ascend Y550-L01
Text:
Hi there!
I urgently need the bootloader unlock code for my Huawei Ascend Y550-L01. Please note that I need the BOOTLOADER unlock code - NOT a network/SIM unlock code!
PLEASE, send me the bootloader unlock code as soon as possible as I need it urgently!
My details are as follows:
Serial Number: ****************
IMEI: ***************
Product ID: ********
Model: HUAWEI ASCEND Y550-L01
Thank You, if you don't ignore my request one more time!

Regards,
Name Surname,
Address, address, address
And response was very quick.
Used email example from another forum.
Response:
Dear Customer,
Thank you for supporting Huawei device.
Your bootloader unlock code: ****************, please keeping your unlock code properly. Thank you!
Best Regards,
Huawei Device Customer Care Team 3207

Last edited:
Reactions: bastien27

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread Index

Rooting, CWM & TWRP Instructions LINK

Latest TWRP
    TWRP 2.8.7.0 21/8/15 - CM12 compatible
    2.8.7.0 Final 25/1/16
    Older TWRP TWRP 2.8.4.1 31/1/14 - CM11 compatible
    Latest CWM 9/12/14
    Latest Superuser 9/12/14
    Latest Slim SDK 9/12/14

Stock Rom Recovery Link (Install through fastboot - fastboot flash recovery recovery_y550.img)
    Updated LInk Here

Latest Y550 (L01) Stock Rom
    5/11/14 Western Europe
    16/1/2015 Eastern Europe & Scandinavia

Normal upgrade/reinstall using in built updater Link
    Forced upgrade/reinstall procedure Link
    Upgrade/Reinstall using Fastboot Link

Google Stock Apps Link

All Huawei y550 related apps and files (thanks to klaidone) Link

Alternate unlock code methods Link Link
    And another Link

L02 Files
    All At this URL
    Files:
    Update.zip - the latest OTA update for L02 Region Phones - Applied using inbuilt updater
    Y550-L02 Stock - CWM backup of the original L02 Stock Rom Link
    Y550-L02 (Build 346) - CWM Backup of the most up to date L02 Rom Link
    Credits to Happychappy on the Whirpool Forum
    Y550 (Prob L02) TWRP Stock Backup

Faq/Tips
    Will the L01 rooting method work on my L02 Yes
    Can I change the Boot Animation? Link (And the following post)
    Can I use L01 firmware on my L02? Link
    Can I change the status bar and carrier logo? Link
    Does Exposed framework work on this phone? Link
    How do i remove the Kitkat write restrictions? Link

Roms from HB72K

Stable and suitable for everyday use. More information, install instructions, root etc from user @HB72K in This post

AOSP Based Roms
    Carbon Rom from Hb72k Link & Install instructions - Known Bugs: Phone only rings once then mutes

Stock Based Roms
    Y550 Stock Rom by Hb72k Link
    Y550 Stock Lite by Hb72k Link
    Y550 Stock (Gstock 2) by Hb72k Link
    Y550 Stock (Gamer 2) by Hb72k Link

MIUI Based Roms
    MIUI 7 by Hb72k Link
    MIUI 6 by Hb72k Link

CM Roms

CM11 - Final XDA Build by Hb72k link
    Hecaex Build - 11 June 2015 Link Doesnt include Static Mac Address fix
    Hecaex Build - 30 May 2015 Link This is based on Patrick's march build with Camera modifications. Working Wifi (Random Mac), Camera working (But flash not working)
    Patrick KT Build - 11 March 2015 (CM11) Link - Wifi working but with random Mac. Camera not working
    Hecaex Build - 10 February 2015 (CM11) Link - Camera flakey, superuser and torch not working
    Patrick KT Build - 1 February 2015 (CM11) Link - Wifi and Camera not working

Static Mac Address Fix Link
    Camera Patch Only Link

2016 Roms

Modded EMUI 3.0 https://mega.nz/#!Dt4gGQCD!zEvIGHsuZURN7Xl9F3LnAdRDviTo-BLzC0n42YH9ZjM
    Modded Miui 7.0 (Twrp backup) https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzJ-jN4Pv2baSXFwRFpqcGoySUE&usp=sharing
    CM Patches/Fixes
    EMUI (Hb72k) http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65241854&postcount=2268
    Pacman (hb72k) http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65327203&postcount=2281
    Pacrom (Jeffta) http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65353386&postcount=2284
    Miui7 (Dabi01 almost final) http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65702075&postcount=2334

Other Files

Walkman (Zip) for Stock and Custom Roms Link

IVE BRICKED MY PHONE!
    Download the full Huawei Y550 rom from Here (You want the penultimate file - y550 build 239
    Download the Huawei update extractor from the same link
    Run update extractor and extract the rom
    Copy the entire folder "dload" to the root of your sdcard (so there is a folder on your sd card called dload containing the update file)
    Hold down all physical buttons on your phone - volume up, volume down and power at once
    DISCLAIMER - THIS CWM AND ROOT METHOD IS DESIGNED FOR THE G620 - IT IS ESSENTIALLY THE SAME PHONE BUT LIKE ANYTHING THERE ARE ALWAYS RISKS WITH INSTALLING CWM AND ROOTING YOUR PHONE. IT WORKED FOR ME, BUT I BEAR NO RESPONSIBILTY IF IT DOESNT WORK FOR YOU, BRICKS YOUR PHONE, OR TURNS YOU INTO A PUMPKIN.

Ok, rooting the Huawei Y550..
    Source Credits Here and Here
    Originally this is the boot image for the G620 but it has the same partition table as the Y550

Three step method - first you need your bootloader unlocked, then CWM installed, then superuser installed.

First you will need your bootloader unlocked. You can get this by emailing Huawei
    to get your unlock email Huawei on mobile@mail01.huawei.com

Send them a request for bootloader unlock with the following info:
    Serial Number: under battery
    IMEI: under battery
    Product ID: call * # * # 1357946 # * # * to get it
    Model: HUAWEI Y550-L01

Once you have your code...
    switch device off
    boot into fastboot mode "volume down and power"
    connect by usb to your PC
    wait for drivers to install (just install the huawei app to get the drivers)
    download and install ADB toolkit from google (or Android SDK Slim which ive attached as a zip)
    open the directory adb toolkit is in, shift and right click and select open command window
    type in... fastboot oem unlock 1234567812345678 where the number is your unlock code
    Your bootloader will now be unlocked. Source and more info

Update: Alternate way to get the unlock code Link

UPDATE - TRWP RECOVERY
    We now have TWRP thanks to patrik.KT. Source
    1) Download the TWRP Image file Link
    2) Place the image file in the same directory as fastbook.exe from the previous step
    3) Connect phone in fastbook mode
    4) Check compatability by booting only initially.
    Code:
    fastboot boot TWRP_y550_20150130.img
    5) if boots correctly go back into fastbook mode and run in the dos window
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP_y550_20150130.img

CWM Recovery
    Zip file download Link
    Extract zip file to computer
    Put phone in fastboot mode (Down volume and power button)
    Connect phone to PC and run the file - install-windows.bat
    This will install a CWM boot to your phone and then reboot it

Contents of zip showed up clean with McAfee
    23rl4wm.png

Superuser
    Dowloaded superuser.zip from HERE
    (Do not use Super-SU it doesnt work with stock roms)
    copy superuser.zip to your SD card.
    Boot into CWM (Volume up and power key)
    select english language if prompted
    install zip from SD card and install superuser.zip

Boom....
    21cun13.jpg
    alkh3n.jpg

Phone has CWM and Root.
    Only downside is parts of the CWM (notably the backup section) are in chinese

Translation for backup section is:

backup image to internal SD
    restore image from internal SD
    delete image from internal SD
    restore image with options from internal SD
    backup image to external SD
    restore image from external SD
    delete image from external SD
    restore image with options from external SD
    Things to do after rooting

A few comments now that I've rooted one of my Y550 phones:

First thing I did was to permanently nuke the file restrictions on writing to the SD card, this was easily achieved in seconds. Now everything can read/write to the external SD card just like in every other release of android.
    *This was the main frustration and reason pushing me to root the phone.

Next was to change the screen DPI to make everything look less blobby.
    After going through settings of 230, 220, 215 and 210 I've found that on the default Huawei EMUI launcher anything lower than 230 looks odd, although 220 is probably usable.
    With a setting of anything less than 220 the desktop icons are shifted into strange positions which is quite off putting, and having only 4 rows of desktop icons looks kind of odd when the icons are shrunk, there is easily enough room for 5 rows, on Nova launcher mine is set to 6 rows and it looks great.
    As always Nova cures most of the visual ills that appear in the supplied manufacturers launchers, so no problems...
    Anyone considering the Y550 should disregard any the negative comments from those who proclaim the screen is crap..!!!
    Obviously it is very slightly lower resolution than some models, but if you don't hold it next to another phone with a higher resolution screen to compare against then I can't imagine anyone would know.

Running MX Player Pro the Y550 can easily play H.264 1080P videos scaled to full screen.
    *In MX Player Pro I set the sound playback for S/W Audio, the volume can then be increased to 200% which is great. I set the video to playback using H/W+ decoder which is impressive. The Y550 quad core combined with a better GPU obviously helps with smooth media playback. Using AllCast to playback video through the LAN to a big screen is also very smooth, it works a treat.

And to top off my first round of rooting fun I installed AdFree to get rid of the nasty adds that appear in many apps, together with an old favourite called BatteryCalibration which is always worth running after installing CWM or TWRP.
    :good:

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

A quick "How to" describing the method for removing the stupid KitKat write restrictions on the External SD card.

Perhaps a disclaimer first to say that if any of the following seems like techno-babble you should NOT do this, just leave it the way google intended it to be, or find a local droid geek to assist you...

Out of habit I use ES File Explorer to edit my android system files directly on the device, it has a decent enough text (note) editor and also has the easiest way to visually confirm that the file permissions are correctly set after you have edited/moved/copied files.

================
    WARNING: Incorrect file permissions are your biggest danger, the phone will probably not boot if they are set incorrectly.
    Whatever happens you should proceed with extreme caution! Recheck everything several times before rebooting...
    ================

In ES File Manager toggle the "Root Explorer" to on, and then navigate to the following file:
    /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

Note: You deserve to have problems if you don't make a backup of the original file first, so make a copy of it in the user memory space or on the SD card.

Then open the file in the ES note editor and scroll down until you find: android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE lines.
    In the ES text editor click the top right menu and chose the pen, this will give a cursor to allow you to write text.
    These are XML sections, you need to make them look exactly like the strings below:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>

Save the platform.xml file (do this by hitting the back hardware button once, it'll then ask if you want to save changes.
    Then exit the editor and refresh the directory listing, chose view and select "small detail" and make sure that platform.xml file permissions are set to "-rw-r--r--" (in geek speak it needs to be 644) before rebooting your phone.
    *Don't forget to turn off the "Root Explorer" toggle in ES File Manager after you have edited the file and confirmed the file permissions.
    That's it.

Once again, if any of the above seems too hard then DON'T do it.

*In the past I've tried apps from the playstore to perform this tweak on other devices, but none of them worked, so now I just do it myself, it only takes a couple of minutes to edit the file.

=========================
    DISCLAIMER – THERE ARE ALWAYS RISKS WITH EDITING SYSTEM FILES, IT WORKED FOR ME, BUT I BEAR NO RESPONSIBILITY IF IT DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU, BRICKS YOUR PHONE, OR TURNS YOU INTO A WOMBAT.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

==================================

I hope the above posts are helpful for those who've never edited system files before...
    It's bit scary the first couple of times, but it you take it slow and steady it is not hard at all.

It's basically the same method for changing the display DPI, you'll need to edit the /system/build.prop file and look for this line:

ro.sf.lcd.density=240

and change the "240" to anything between 240 ~ 200 then reboot.

Simple as...
    Just remember to check those file permissions before you reboot :good:

=================
    Don't forget to press the THANKS button if any of this helped you ;)

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

I have achieved 7020p & 1080p resolution on Huawei Y550, I would advise 720p over 1080p as it is alot clearer on this little screen....

Yours was an interesting post, I would never have considered trying to set a non native resolution on the device. I imagine this would cause all sorts of problems that could be hard to solve.

If your intention is only to increase the information shown on the screen, then I think it is a much better idea to change the display DPI rather than setting a totally different screen resolution. The chances of upsetting the system are far less and there is no need for busybox, or soft keys because everything still works as it should...
    So guys it's been a while but I'm working on CM12.1. But I'm quite busy with my job, so please be a little more patient ;) .
    I've got a new TWRP and I have a booting CM12.1. But there are some major things which need to be fixed.
    I will push some test build with new TWRP later.
    So I noticed you dont have any working TWRP on the Y550, so I made one :cowboy:

Make sure you only boot it first to check if its compatible
    Code:
    fastboot boot TWRP_y550_20150130.img
    and if it works just fine, then flash it
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP_y550_20150130.img

Download: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5KRmU8P96dlYTc4eS11QXItdlU/edit