I ported this TWRP recovery from Mi pad 3 and it works perfectly! It was tested on official firmware TOS-V2.01-A921 (Phoenix OS), I don't know will it work on older firmwares or not (try at your own risk). All user data and storage will be fully erased!
First of all you need to unlock bootloader. It's required ADB to be installed on your PC, because it will be done via fastboot.
Follow this steps:
-connect the tablet to pc, (first you have to enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging in Developer options)
- reboot the tablet in fastboot mode, hold buttons “power+Vol +” at startup, choose fastboot mode with Vol+ button, valid with Vol-
- open a command prompt in adb folder, then “fastboot devices”, then “fastboot oem unlock”, it should say “OKAY, finished”
Now it's done.
Download this archive and unpack it (contains everything you need) - https://mega.nz/#!C1w0GaAI!Zw1QXuAgB...hPAhuZy1yjlv-k
- Install MTK drivers
- Click on Flash_tool.exe
- Select "scatter-Loading" and search MT8173_Android_scatter.txt
- Press "recovery" and add path (choose) recovery file - TWRP 3.2.3
- Select "Download Only"
- Turn off your tablet and wait some seconds
- Press “Download” button in FlashTool programm to start
- Connect your tablet into the computer via USB data cable holding volume + button (do not press power button!).
- The process will start and a red progress bar will appear after color purple, yellow. Finally, green circles should display.
That's all. Now you should flash TWRP: hold buttons “power+Vol +” at startup, choose recovery mode with Vol+ button, valid with Vol- (alike in step 1)
If you face Error message like this:
BROM ERROR : S_DL_GET_DRAM_SETTING_FAIL (5054)
Obtain DRAM Failed!
Please check your load matches to your target which is to be downloaded.
Do this steps: choose scatter load -> load TWRP file [B]->[/B ]Push download button -> plug in the usb cable without pushing volume up
Now it is required to format internal storage to be displayed properly (you will see 0 mb storage size). Just go to wipe section and choose "wipe data" option (write "yes" on keybord and accept).
After this reboot recovery ( go to reboot section -> reboot recovery)
Connect tablet to PC and copy Magisk package to internal storage (Magisk should be flashable via TWRP in .zip format and can be found in appropriative thread). I've succesfully installed Magisk v17.1.
Afterwards, go to install section -> install package and reboot device (no wipes after installation are required). If it will ask for installing TWRP app , just cancel that.
All above-described actions should be fully completed, sure nothing is missed ! Because in this case your tablet will not boot!
So, that's all ! Let me know if you face any issues. Enjoy
Custom ROMs for TWRP can be found here:
Modified stock ROM - https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...v2-01-t3894124
ASUS ZenUI ROM - https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...st-t8-t3898591
MIUI 10 ROM (BETA) - https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-beta-t3910219
Pixel Experience ROM - https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...st-t8-t3919512