FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TWRP] Samsung Galaxy A20 Custom Recovery Project

619 posts
Thanks Meter: 113

By physwizz, Senior Member on 7th August 2019, 07:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Currently, a few very talented people are helping me develop a twrp custom recovery.
At this stage we're not sure if we'll need different versions for the various types of Galaxy A20.
If that is the case I will publish them all here along with detailed installation instructions.
If you can contribute to this project, your help would be very much appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to physwizz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift physwizz Ad-Free

7th August 2019, 08:39 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
steps
Installation Instructions.
There is never only one way to do anything. The following steps have worked for me.
Before you start, make sure you have rooted the A20
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...guide-t3954872

To install TWRP
1. Download the custom recovery from here
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1899786940962574261
2. On the PC rename the unpatched recovery as recovery.img
3. Use 7zip to make it into recovery.tar
(right click and choose add to archive)
4. Use 7zip to add your patched boot.img to recovery.tar
(right click and choose add to archive and choose recovery.tar)
5. Download vbmeta.tar from here (https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=237) and extract vbmeta.img
6. Use 7zip to add vbmeta.img to recovery.tar
(right click and choose add to archive and choose recovery.tar)
7. Install recovery.tar to ap slot using Odin.

This TWRP will currently backup everything except Data, because Data is encrypted.

To ensure that data is not encrypted so as to enable data to be backed up follow these steps
8. Boot the A20 into TWRP and mount everything that you can.
9. Format Data
10. Flash this zip Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_08.18.2019.zip
11. Reboot into Recovery. It will reboot into download mode.
12. On the pc repeat step 7.
13. Reboot phone and re-enter all data.
14. Reboot into Recovery.
15. Backup Data.

If you are getting messages about being unable to flash the recovery try this.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=276
7th August 2019, 11:31 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1,601

More
Android Image Kitchen can unpack TWRP for Samsung S9 (Exynos version) which is fairly similar to our device.
I switched over the kernel and charger files, changed the recovery fstab to match our device plus a few other device specific files and repacked it and tarred it. Odin happily flashed it but the phone would not reboot out of download mode and had some negative message about a Custom Recovery.......reflashed the stock recovery and now back to square one.
I have used this technique before with success but there is a lot more protection on these newer phones that I am not familiar with getting around.
Anyway, it is still a potential way of gaining a TWRP for our device short of compiling one from scratch - just needs a few eyes and brains to have a poke around
The Following User Says Thank You to jajk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jajk Ad-Free
7th August 2019, 10:39 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajk

Android Image Kitchen can unpack TWRP for Samsung S9 (Exynos version) which is fairly similar to our device.
I switched over the kernel and charger files, changed the recovery fstab to match our device plus a few other device specific files and repacked it and tarred it. Odin happily flashed it but the phone would not reboot out of download mode and had some negative message about a Custom Recovery.......reflashed the stock recovery and now back to square one.
I have used this technique before with success but there is a lot more protection on these newer phones that I am not familiar with getting around.
Anyway, it is still a potential way of gaining a TWRP for our device short of compiling one from scratch - just needs a few eyes and brains to have a poke around

How did you get a copy of the stock recovery?
7th August 2019, 11:11 PM |#5  

More
@physwizz Stock recovery is in the AP image in the ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jajk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jajk Ad-Free
8th August 2019, 12:05 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:

@physwizz Stock recovery is in the AP image in the ROM.

I'll get grab it now.
15th August 2019, 06:22 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:

After hitting dead ends with Mac and Windows, I succeeded in installing Android Kitchen on Ubuntu and unpack the s9 image.
Next step is to try to modify it to fit the A20
Hmmm...
15th August 2019, 11:03 PM |#8  

More
Look at S10 Exynos TWRP versions also.
16th August 2019, 03:19 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:

Thanks
16th August 2019, 12:06 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:

Now I just need to work out how to repack it.
17th August 2019, 03:34 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
@jajk
AIK now wants an update-script and I can't repack the recovery.img without one.

Edit: went back to the Mac and worked it out.
Didn't install [email protected]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
samsung-galaxy-a20

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)