Post Reply Email Thread
20th August 2019, 07:45 AM |#21  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumway66

TWRP Recovery Successfully Installed On Smartphone

You got it installed successfully on the A20?

20th August 2019, 11:01 AM |#22  
OP Senior Member
Sydney
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumway66

Download Odin Flash Tool For Android Phone, Then Extract It
Now Download >> TWRP Recovery

Then Go To Settings >> About Phone >> Tap On Build Number 5 To 7 Times You Will See Developer Option

Now Tap On Developer Option >> Then Enable USB Debugging And Also Enable OEM Unlocking

Now Boot Your Smartphone In >> TWRP Recovery Mode

To Boot Phone In Recovery Mode You Have To Turn Of Your Smartphone Then Press Volume Up + Power Botton Together To Turn On >> Recovery Mode

Then Select >> Reboot To Bootloader, After Some Time You Will See Downloading Mode

Now Cannect Your Smartphone To Computer Using USB Cable, Then Open >> Odin Flash Tool In Your PC

Now ID:COM Tab On Your Odin Will Turn Blue Which Means Your Phone Is Successfully Recognized By Odin Flash Tool, If It Doesn’t Reconnect Your Device And Check Again

Now Tap On >> AP Button On Odin Flash Tool And Select >> TWRP Recovery For Smartphone You Downloaded Earlier

Now Tap On >> Start Button
After Some Time You Will See “Pass” Button On Screen, It Means TWRP Recovery Successfully Installed On Smartphone

Yes. This is how it's done once a twrp becomes available for the A20.

Not yet available. Sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to physwizz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift physwizz Ad-Free
21st August 2019, 05:49 AM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajk

@physwizz A30 TWRP appears never to have worked.

Kiss of death to have an off forum Telegram group - should be banned

Damn. I was going to use the first one as a startling point.
Second one doesn't unpack.
21st August 2019, 07:03 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 1,602

More
@physwizz Yep, something dodgy about that whole thread.
Best to look at S9 / S10 Exynos variants that have known working TWRPs. Main difference is in the partition naming / layout and obviously the kernel and supporting files for things like charger.
21st August 2019, 08:08 AM |#25  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:

@physwizz Yep, something dodgy about that whole thread.
Best to look at S9 / S10 Exynos variants that have known working TWRPs. Main difference is in the partition naming / layout and obviously the kernel and supporting files for things like charger.

Odin gave me a fail yesterday. Had do a rebuild the entire system 😢😢😢
21st August 2019, 08:12 AM |#26  

More
@physwizz Yep...its a long way back each time something goes wrong.
Reminds me of an episode of Doom called Tricks and Traps (for those that weren't born yesterday)
21st August 2019, 10:00 AM |#27  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:

@physwizz Yep...its a long way back each time something goes wrong.
Reminds me of an episode of Doom called Tricks and Traps (for those that weren't born yesterday)

Didnt have that problem with space invaders
21st August 2019, 08:01 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 105

More
While I managed to hack my way to making the first working TWRP for the Unihertz Atom I am really just lost in a lot of this but through a tenacious mindset (and probably some luck) managed to make that TWRP work for the Atom. However the way I went about it was nothing like the suggestions in the thread on how to create your own TWRP. From what I understand (and this is nothing certain) I believe having a TWRP from a phone with the same chipset or CPU will make it easier to modify TWRP to work on the A20.

From vndnguyen's Phone Info the A20 I have shows an Exynos 7885 chipset. From gsmarena.com they show the A20 as having an Exynos 7884 chipset. I suspect mine is just a minor upgrade to the original.

According to gsmarena.com the Samsung Galaxy A8 has the Exynos 7885 chipset and the A8 does have TWRP available for it. I think that will be my starting point.
The Following User Says Thank You to droidzer1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift droidzer1 Ad-Free
21st August 2019, 09:03 PM |#29  
OP Senior Member
Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidzer1

While I managed to hack my way to making the first working TWRP for the Unihertz Atom I am really just lost in a lot of this but through a tenacious mindset (and probably some luck) managed to make that TWRP work for the Atom. However the way I went about it was nothing like the suggestions in the thread on how to create your own TWRP. From what I understand (and this is nothing certain) I believe having a TWRP from a phone with the same chipset or CPU will make it easier to modify TWRP to work on the A20.

From vndnguyen's Phone Info the A20 I have shows an Exynos 7885 chipset. From gsmarena.com they show the A20 as having an Exynos 7884 chipset. I suspect mine is just a minor upgrade to the original.

According to gsmarena.com the Samsung Galaxy A8 has the Exynos 7885 chipset and the A8 does have TWRP available for it. I think that will be my starting point.

Sounds good
21st August 2019, 10:36 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 105

More
First mod - major fail. Having to factory reset and start over. Might give this up for a little while so I can actually enjoy the phone for a while but I'll get back on it.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

If I understand correctly Magisk now resides in the recovery image rather than the ramdisk so I think it may be necessary to uninstall Magisk to try installing a TWRP recovery. Things were a real mess when I tried installing a TWRP mod while Magisk was installed. Thoughts on that?
21st August 2019, 10:53 PM |#31  

More
A8 TWRP very close to our A20.
As a minimum: replace kernel and /sbin/charger files with A20 versions and edit /etc/recovery.fstab file to reflect our partition scheme.
fstab may have to refer to the partitions in a different way since we do not know how the partitions are mounted in recovery mode.
Example:
/dev/block/platform/13500000.dwmmc0/by-name/BOOT is A8 reference but when booted into system, our phone show "boot" not "BOOT"
alternative is to specify as the memory block instead of by name so this line becomes:
/dev/block/platform/13500000.dwmmc0/mmcblk0p15

Pay attention to what is mentioned in A8 thread about disabling verity and RMM patch and we might have a fastrack to a working TWRP....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
samsung-galaxy-a20

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)