DISCONTINUED [TWRP] Samsung Galaxy A20 Custom Recovery (Android 9)

Search This thread

jajk

Jul 18, 2014
Maybe I am missing something or doing something wrong.....
I do a backup of boot, system and data (no, not the images) for a stock ROM that is perfectly functional. The ROM is rooted and data is running decrypted.
I now restore those 3 partitions and end up stuck at the Samsung logo. It does not matter if I wipe cache & Dalvik or not - same outcome.
Anyone tell me the secret?

Reactions: butchieboy

physwizz

Sep 16, 2013
Sydney
Maybe I am missing something or doing something wrong.....
I do a backup of boot, system and data (no, not the images) for a stock ROM that is perfectly functional. The ROM is rooted and data is running decrypted.
I now restore those 3 partitions and end up stuck at the Samsung logo. It does not matter if I wipe cache & Dalvik or not - same outcome.
Anyone tell me the secret?

you have to unencrypt the data first.

see post 2

Last edited:

jajk

Jul 18, 2014
@physwizz Data is already formatted, decryption turned off etc. That is not the problem - there is something else stopping it booting.

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
@physwizz Data is already formatted, decryption turned off etc. That is not the problem - there is something else stopping it booting.

Hmmm, I'm sure I had that problem too initially. Trying to probe my old memory for what was going on ;)
I tried to record all problems I had in this thread and any solutions I found. The answer may be somewhere here but I believe it has to do with Magisk.

You said 'Stock ROM' - is it rooted ? If not that may be a problem restoring it over a rooted system since you are now decrypted. I found some info from Magisk official directions that may be relevant here:
Magisk actually patches 3 partitions on your device:
vbmeta : replace with empty vbmeta image to disable partition verification
boot : remove the signature of the image to prevent soft bricks
recovery : this is where Magisk is actually installed
Never, ever try to restore either of the 3 images mentioned back to stock! You can easily brick your device by doing so, and the only
way out is to do full ODIN restore following with factory reset. Just don’t do it.

If you want to upgrade your device, never flash the stock AP tar file with reasons mentioned above. Always pre-patch the firmware
before flashing in ODIN.
If you don’t need to patch the full firmware, you can manually create a tar file with at least vbmeta.img , boot.img , and recovery.img
to let Magisk Manager patch your images in the proper way.

Last edited:

jajk

Jul 18, 2014
@physwizz I give it plenty of time to decide to boot or not (I am not a Millennial)
What do you mean "Perhaps reflash magisk" ? Is that what you have to do to restore back to the stock ROM or not?

physwizz

Sep 16, 2013
Sydney
@physwizz I give it plenty of time to decide to boot or not (I am not a Millennial)
What do you mean "Perhaps reflash magisk" ? Is that what you have to do to restore back to the stock ROM or not?

I didn't need to but I have found that this sometimes helps with some of the GSIs.
It can't hurt. I would try flashing the patched boot.
There could be an issue arising from going back to stock so many times.
You have the same version as me so I can't fathom why yours is causing these issues.

If I was in your position I would.
1. Wipe both caches, data and system.
2. Restore boot, data and system.
3. Flash patched boot.img
4. Wipe both caches.
5. Reboot

Last edited:

HazardsDE

Sep 14, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
Hey so i actually tried your TWRP on the Galaxy A20e
i had alot of trouble with it though... rooting works fine but when i get to the process of flashing TWRP ( i tried 2 Methods 1. with VBMETA from A20e ROM and then your provided VBMETA ) both didnt work. the Recovery with the VBMETA from A20e throws me a footer error when trying to boot into Recovery. and the A20 VBMETA messes up the screen very bad. now i literally lost my warranty (i know its my fault. im stupid ). is there some kind of way to get the Recovery working and flash a gsi?

Last edited:

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
i had alot of trouble with it though... rooting works fine but when i get to the process of flashing TWRP ( i tried 2 Methods 1. with VBMETA from A20e ROM and then your provided VBMETA ) both didnt work. the Recovery with the VBMETA from A20e throws me a footer error when trying to boot into Recovery. and the A20 VBMETA messes up the screen very bad. now i literally lost my warranty (i know its my fault. im stupid ). is there some kind of way to get the Recovery working and flash a gsi?

Look at the vbmeta image you are using with a text viewer or notepad. If it doesn't look like the one in the attached zip file you will get that footer error.

Attachments

• vbmeta.zip
    149 bytes · Views: 75

HazardsDE

Sep 14, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
Look at the vbmeta image you are using with a text viewer or notepad. If it doesn't look like the one in the attached zip file you will get that footer error.

thank you for the answer when i want to look at the vbmeta.img in notepad++ it just says avb0 followed by avbtools v1.1.0
im not an proffessional in those kind of things. im back on Stock now how should i continue to get TWRP? do i need to change any files?

the A20e vbmeta includes a bunch of other random stuff in Editor including the first line i already described.
heres a screenshot ( i already tried adding it to the post but it gets corrupted) https://pasteboard .co/IBcs9D9 .png remove the blank spaces

Last edited:

physwizz

Sep 16, 2013
Sydney

I totally bricked my Galaxy Tab S once.
I took it back and they sent it off to Samsung Australia.
It came back a week later all fixed. No questions asked.

physwizz

Sep 16, 2013
Sydney

Perhaps @afaneh92 could help

HazardsDE

Sep 14, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
sorry but how should those steps install TWRP on my A20e? i already put boot+recovery+different vbmeta images in a tar and none work. like i said my phone is not bricked, i just really need to get TWRP working. and the steps you give me dont really seem usefull to me in that case. why should i mess with the Stock BL_XXXX file? you only need to for flashing the Stock Rom back.

physwizz

Sep 16, 2013
Sydney
sorry but how should those steps install TWRP on my A20e? i already put boot+recovery+different vbmeta images in a tar and none work. like i said my phone is not bricked, i just really need to get TWRP working. and the steps you give me dont really seem usefull to me in that case. why should i mess with the Stock BL_XXXX file? you only need to for flashing the Stock Rom back.

What is the size of you patched boot.img?

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
thank you for the answer when i want to look at the vbmeta.img in notepad++ it just says avb0 followed by avbtools v1.1.0
im not an proffessional in those kind of things. im back on Stock now how should i continue to get TWRP? do i need to change any files?

the A20e vbmeta includes a bunch of other random stuff in Editor including the first line i already described.
heres a screenshot ( i already tried adding it to the post but it gets corrupted) https://pasteboard .co/IBcs9D9 .png remove the blank spaces

All that other stuff in your vbmeta.img is why you are getting the footer error. Use the vbmeta.img in the zip I put up in my last message and try with that one and I think you'll no longer get the footer error. If you are doing everything else correctly the TWRP should install okay.

HazardsDE

Sep 14, 2019
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
All that other stuff in your vbmeta.img is why you are getting the footer error. Use the vbmeta.img in the zip I put up in my last message and try with that one and I think you'll no longer get the footer error. If you are doing everything else correctly the TWRP should install okay.

when i do that i get weird red screen flashes. when booting in recovery :/

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

What is the size of you patched boot.img?

around 36mb

Top Liked Posts