FORUMS

Unlocking Bootloader & Root On LG K40

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By blanksus, Junior Member on 16th March 2020, 11:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Having trouble rooting my LG K40. I have the same problem as this person when trying to boot into fastmode: https:// youtu.be/yQ99lQv0rQk?t=26

You can find his post here explaining the process more in detail: https:// lgk20.com/root-lg-k40-lm-x420-bootloader-unlock-twrp/

MODEL #: LM-X420MM

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance.
8th April 2020, 01:35 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
im having the same problem. i must have a proclivity towards phones with what seems impossible rooting methods. the first was the samsung j7 prime and now the lg k40 lmx420mm. ive gotten as for as adb reboot-bootloader, just restarts device, fastboot commands are either not recognized or i receive "waiting on device". Ive updated drivers, followed a diff. method found on reddit posted by jamesrascal (i cant post url here because of my newb status). Phone just stays stuck in firmware update. i feel as if ive exhausted all resources, any direction or help would be appreciated, im not educated on rooting ive been successful a few times on other phones and jailbroken some iphones, im mostly doing this to learn and teach myself so it isnt urgent but i need help to continue any further. thank you
20th May 2020, 08:29 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Same problem for me. Because the device has good value for the money it would be nice someone can help us here.
Further this device seems to be full android treble conform I like to know how benefit from this circomstance.
I have LG K40 LM-X420EMW with dualsim.
Thanks for every hint!
20th May 2020, 04:50 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 823

More
@blanksus
IIRC an Android user can not unlock the bootloader without first OEM unlocking, because without this process the device will not accept the bootloader unlocking command.
22nd May 2020, 05:08 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer

@blanksus
IIRC an Android user can not unlock the bootloader without first OEM unlocking, because without this process the device will not accept the bootloader unlocking command.

OK, but it is not possible to get into fastboot mode to enable the OEM unlocking. I marked the slider in developer option butz still there is no chance to get in fastboot mode.
After command "adb reboot bootloader" the device always reboots in normal system mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200522-180530.png
Views:	52
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	5024357  
23rd May 2020, 07:05 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 823

More
@baerenbisch

Once you enabled the OEM unlock on your Android, the “unlock ability” flag is set to 1, which allows you to use the
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
command what unlocks device's bootloader.

BTW: Once you have enabled OEM unlock, it stays on. Even if you do a factory reset, it stays unlocked until the setting is manually altered again by going into the Developer options section.
23rd May 2020, 11:16 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer

@baerenbisch

Once you enabled the OEM unlock on your Android, the “unlock ability” flag is set to 1, which allows you to use the

Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
command what unlocks device's bootloader.

BTW: Once you have enabled OEM unlock, it stays on. Even if you do a factory reset, it stays unlocked until the setting is manually altered again by going into the Developer options section.

Hm,
may be it is "allowed" to unlock but in the "LG K40 (LM-X420EMW) real world" it is not possible.
You dont reach fastboot mode which could enable using the order you proposed.
Device reboots into standard mode instead of wanted fastboot mode after sending "adb reboot bootloader"
I think thats the problem.

Code:
[email protected]:/# adb devices
List of devices attached
LMX4205P4TU4S4HEOJ	device
[email protected]:/# adb reboot bootloader
[email protected]:/# fastboot flashing unlock
< waiting for any device >
^C
[email protected]:/#
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)