FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Welcome/Chinese P35_Pro android - spoofed specs/hardware information

79 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By andyb2000, Member on 31st May 2019, 12:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here's an interesting one, ordered this phone from China (via wish) as specs were high and it was worth a bit of a gamble. Stated specs/product:
Quote:

CPU: MTK6595 Octa Core
System: Android 9.1
ROM: 128GB
RAM: 6GB
Screen Type: 6.3 inch full
Touch Screen: Support Capacitive
Resolution:Front 800MA makes you more beautiful!
Network: 4G
Network mode: GSM/WCDMA
Network: Dual SIM Cards Support T Card
Camera typeual Rear Camera One Front Camera
Camera Pixel:
Front Camera:800 MP
Rear Camera: 16.0 MP
Software: Play Store, Air, Distance, Gesture, SmartWake,

And lots more impressive information.
The bits that made me look interested was 6Gb RAM and Android 9.1. Ignoring the usual Chinese rubbish about how good it was, and how it made me more beautiful I thought I'd try it. After shipping it was around 80UKP.

Arrival was within the stated time, but after starting to install apps and get used to the phone I found a few oddities. A few apps wouldn't install, saying not compatible with the phone, and it lagged at times quite badly for larger apps (facebook, whatsapp, etc).

I then thought I'd delve in deeper and see more info, checking the about page (and enabling developer mode) I saw the stats and a few bits didn't add up.
Android patch level seemed old for such a newly built kernel. Kernel was supposedly built April 2019.
So I fired up ADB and wow, I found some interesting facts!

The product listed itself as the P35_Pro product with an ID of LMY47I. The hardware is mt6580 which is an older Mediatek chipset.
Quote:

[ro.product.brand]: [Welcome]
[ro.product.cpu.abi2]: [armeabi]
[ro.product.cpu.abi]: [armeabi-v7a]
[ro.product.cpu.abilist32]: [armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.product.cpu.abilist64]: []
[ro.product.cpu.abilist]: [armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.product.device]: [P35_Pro]
[ro.product.locale.language]: [en]
[ro.product.locale.region]: [US]
[ro.product.manufacturer]: [alps]
[ro.product.model]: [P35 Pro]
[ro.product.name]: [P35_Pro]

And then the magic part, the android release, SDK and security_patch level:
Quote:

[ro.build.host]: [mht-15]
[ro.build.id]: [LMY47I]
[ro.build.product]: [P35_Pro]
[ro.build.tags]: [release-keys]
[ro.build.type]: [user]
[ro.build.user]: [android]
[ro.build.version.all_codenames]: [REL]
[ro.build.version.base_os]: []
[ro.build.version.codename]: [REL]
[ro.build.version.incremental]: [1555497787]
[ro.build.version.release]: [5.1]
[ro.build.version.sdk]: [22]
[ro.build.version.security_patch]: [2016-06-01]

So it's actually running Android 5.1 Lollipop with an SDK of 22, security patch from 2016! So nowhere near Android 9.1. So my guess is the about app in the phone is hard-coded to hide what's truly running.
Memory is also different to stated:
Quote:

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 15.70
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xc07
CPU revision : 3

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 15.70
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xc07
CPU revision : 3

Hardware : MT6580WP
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000
[email protected]_Pro:/ $ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 2022700 kB
MemFree: 106920 kB
Buffers: 6436 kB
Cached: 599428 kB
SwapCached: 268 kB
Active: 912156 kB
Inactive: 588852 kB
Active(anon): 620728 kB
Inactive(anon): 276328 kB
Active(file): 291428 kB
Inactive(file): 312524 kB
Unevictable: 1424 kB
Mlocked: 4 kB
HighTotal: 1555456 kB
HighFree: 27680 kB
LowTotal: 467244 kB
LowFree: 79240 kB
SwapTotal: 163836 kB
SwapFree: 16 kB
Dirty: 40 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 896404 kB
Mapped: 310784 kB
Shmem: 484 kB
Slab: 48328 kB
SReclaimable: 20672 kB
SUnreclaim: 27656 kB
KernelStack: 16976 kB
PageTables: 28424 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 1175184 kB
Committed_AS: 31332204 kB
VmallocTotal: 499712 kB
VmallocUsed: 102800 kB
VmallocChunk: 131012 kB

So only 2Gb of memory.

Now, I don't need a lecture about buying from Chinese sites/etc, I expected there to be problems, etc, but maybe not quite this level! I'm going to complain and see if I get anything, I doubt it. Otherwise it's a functioning phone, seems OK. I'll be watching it closely to see what else unusual I find with it.

(All images at: https://imgur.com/a/u1OZo4A)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-05-31_12-07-54.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	4768980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-05-31_12-08-26.png
Views:	76
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	4768981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	4768982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	4768983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	4768984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-4.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	4768985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	4768986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-7.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	4768987  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andyb2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andyb2000 Ad-Free

1st June 2019, 01:41 PM |#2  
Flag Bournemouth
Thanks Meter: 41

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb2000

Here's an interesting one, ordered this phone from China (via wish) as specs were high and it was worth a bit of a gamble. Stated specs/product:

Your cautionary tale comes a little late for me - I made the exact same decision as yourself - Great specs for very little money - probably crap, but at £71 was worth a punt. It arrived this morning and I've found your post while trying to work out why its so so terrible!

Do you reckon there is anything that can be done to salvage it? Lineage? Do you have any plans to salvage? Or is it a case of throw it in a draw, and in a pinch, its a backup phone?
1st June 2019, 04:46 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag North-East, UK

More
Sorry bud, not much to be done over it, I knew there would be something dodgy (See my website on my previous adventure with an Xgody phone with dodgy apps) but it was disappointing.
Might look at an alternative OS and see what I can do as the mt6580 is quite a common older chipset, but getting a fastboot to boot might be tricky. Will post back if I get anywhere.

To be fair, it runs OK and works, just not nippy and things that are huge resource hogs (FB) just don't run, probably the OOM kicking in and killing the processes.
3rd June 2019, 02:49 AM |#4  
Flag Bournemouth
Thanks Meter: 41

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

To be fair, it runs OK and works, just not nippy and things that are huge resource hogs (FB) just don't run, probably the OOM kicking in and killing the processes.

I've been using as my main (want to hand off my lovely Mi8 with the pixel rom to the wife as she busted the Razor I previously gave her) for about 24 hours and after a reset its been running...ok (google play now works which was my biggest issue). Apps seem to run ok once they have installed (they take forever to install) and facebook lite seems ok. Snapchat runs the worst I've ever seen, luckily I'm far too old to use that other than to put filters on the amuze the kids. I dare say a clean ROM would help a lot but as is its... workable. One of the fastest finger print unlocks I've seen - actually got the wife to try unlock to see if it was faking it!

It's a weird device. The screen is actually quite nice and the body is really pretty but the performance is dire really, yet I kinda love it. I hope you have more joy than I have had so far on replacing that ROM.
4th June 2019, 04:01 PM |#5  
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Thank you so much for this post! I saw a listing for this on eBay for about $100 USD, and was of course very skeptical. Everything seemed slightly off to me, and its uncanny resemblance to a Huawei P30 Pro was even more confusing to me. This phone, from the looks of it, has a surprisingly high quality design and seemingly decent display.

I couldn't find anything through Google, and as a last resort, decided to check XDA for any info. I was surprised to find such a comprehensive post here detailing all of its... uh... "issues."

Much appreciated!
17th July 2019, 11:59 AM |#6  
Flag Halifax, Nova Scotia
Thanks Meter: 188

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I ran across this ad on eBay and went looking for some info. The specs are impressive, on paper that is.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-P35-Pro-...t/273873972513

I spotted this line from the ad;

"Memory: 2g RAM+32GB ROM/ is made to default (6g+128g)". (Whatever this means. LOL)

I guess this phone is a dud, eh? I added it to my wishlist but I never bought it.
17th July 2019, 12:45 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag North-East, UK

More
Yep, sorry folks no real progress either.
So living with it for a couple of months and it's not good. Most apps are running very slowly, trying to multi-task/swap apps slows it right down so it's very under powered.
The case itself is also starting to degrade, losing the blue colour around the worn areas. Getting a case is almost impossible, because it's copied the Huawei with the exception of adding a central fingerprint sensor which makes the outer case almost impossible.

Oh and the reply from Wish was what I'd expected, they aren't 100% on the issue, but if I sent it back (at my expense) then they'd look at a refund. When I go to return it in their portal the only option is "I no longer want the item" on the return which I refused to select as I think this may be a 'trick' to use, since there is no option to say item is faulty/defective/counterfeit. I've decided not to do this so still have the phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andyb2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andyb2000 Ad-Free
25th July 2019, 05:27 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Wish/geek sucks
So I ordered before researching 🙄. After getting this phone I had nothing but problems. Many apps crash or simply lock up the phone. On the first day my sim card slipped between the body and slot. I had to remove the rear cover and discovered fake cameras, fake sensors and a sticker that says 2gb + 32. Wish/geek claims I am wrong and the phone meets all stated specifications and has closed the case twice. It's one thing to admit there may be a problem with my unit and offer a refund or something but it's another to act like the phone I received is in perfect working order and nothing will be done.
Fake Cameras
Fake Cams Removed
Close up
The Following User Says Thank You to Saithies For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Saithies Ad-Free
20th August 2019, 09:09 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
how to root / upgrade 5.1 Android to current
I purchased the phone via EBAY for EUR 90. It arrived after 16 days. After checking it, and I reviewed bad to the system, they offered me a refund of EUR 65. So finally the phone was 25 EUR inclusive transportation for me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chinese, fake, hardware, lollipop

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)