FORUMS

Exploring Dark Mode in MIUI 12

1,035 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,119

By XDARoni, XDA Community Manager on 24th June 2020, 02:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

I am a big fan of dark mode. I prefer all of my apps to be set to dark mode when possible. That's why I'm pretty excited about the new dark mode coming in MIUI 12. I have MIUI 12 running on my Xiaomi Mi 9T and have been using the new dark mode. In this thread, I'll share some photos so you'll know when to expect when your phone gets the MIUI 12 update.

To turn on Dark mode, go to Settings > Display > Dark mode. This menu will have the following options:
  • Dark mode
  • Adjust wallpaper to Dark mode
  • Schedule
  • Individual apps
  • Adjust contrast automatically

The new Dark mode is a forced themes that is applied to all of your apps and system pages. This means that even apps without a dark mode setting, will now be able to have dark mode.

These two screenshots compare the default Chrome dark mode [left] and the new system dark mode [right].

Here is an example of an app that does not support dark mode. The Google Photos app does not have an independent dark mode, like most other Google apps. Instead, this app relies on a system-wide theme in order to have dark mode. These screenshots will show you Google Photos with the default theme[left] and with the system dark mode [right].

Individual Apps
If you only want specific apps to use dark mode, you can toggle them individually in the settings menu. Some times you'll come across an app that just looks better in light mode. Now you don't have to sacrifice your light mode apps when you turn on system-wide dark mode.

Scheduel
I personally have been using the scheduler to switch on dark mode at 8pm every night, as the sun starts to go down. It's much easier on my eyes when using my phone before bed, or in the middle of the night. The schedule feature is very easy to use. You simply set the time that you want the theme to go on and off. It does not have different options for specific days of the week.

Adjust wallpaper to Dark mode
I was curious about the feature that adjusts your wallpaper to be dark mode-friendly, so I gave it a shot. When you toggle this feature on, MIUI will darken your wallpaper. Here is a side by side example of dark mode without wallpaper enabled [left] and with wallpaper enabled [right].

Contrast and Colors
MIUI 12 is designed to adjust your display to extreme or soft light. The colors and contrast will be more or less intense based on what the situation calls for. It's a nice feature to have and improves your ability to read what's on your phone in different lighting situations.

So that's all the new stuff coming in the dark mode update for MIUI 12.
The Following User Says Thank You to XDARoni For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift XDARoni Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)