FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Hide "No Notification" Label on Notification drawer

675 posts
Thanks Meter: 934

By TimurAlaskara_TR, Senior Member on 23rd June 2015, 02:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,
Some of you may be annoyed by the "No Notification" label on Android lollipop/marshmallow when there is no notification in the notification drawer in stock android :)
For those i made a quick guide how to remove this label!
lets start :)

Things needed:
  1. Knowledge how to De/Recompile Apk's Get Knowledge HERE
  2. Notepad++Download HERE
  3. SystemUI.apk of rom
  4. Patience if re/decompiling goes wrong :P

LETS START WITH THE GUIDE:

1) Extract SystemUI.apk with any root browser and paste to your PC (SystemUI.apk located in "root/system/Priv-app/SystemUI") do a Backup of orig. SystemUI.apk

2) Decompile the SystemUI.apk with apktool or any other Apk-Decompiler

3) Go to folder called "res". Than go to "values-xx" (xx stands for the language. I use my phone in German language so i will go for "values-de". Turkish people go to"values-tr" and so on)

4) After you are in "values-xx" folder open "Strings.xml" WITH NOTEPAD++

5) Press Ctrl+F and search for "No notifications" in your language you are using. In my case it will be "Keine Benachrichtigungen" (German)
(WARNING: There will be 2 results -> concentrate on the 2nd result)

6) Replace the "No notification" text with something you want to appear there. If you want to hide it, delete the "no notification" text and do not add anything.
(WARNING: Do not delete more than the "no notification" Text; So do not delete the whole string)

7) Save the file and close Notepad++

8) Recompile the apk and push it to your phone: "root/system/priv-app/SystemUI"

9) Reboot your phone and voila, you got a Notification drawer with no "no notification" text :)

tested by me on CM12 5.0.2 and CM12.1 5.1.1

I also made a German Video tutorial on this :D click Here

Thanks to:

@PulseDroid - for very good apk de/recompile guide
@Flextrick - for very cool apk De/Recompile Tool i am using :)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimurAlaskara_TR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TimurAlaskara_TR Ad-Free

24th June 2015, 07:51 AM |#2  
Bermuda Triangle.. HELP!
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Didn't work :/
Couldn't find the "values" file or "strings.xml" or "No notifications"

I used Notepad++'s "Search in Files" to search through every file in systemUI's and framework's xmls and everything for the words "No notifications" . . . . and zero hits.

But I'm runnnig PAC Rom on the Nexus 5 so I guess it's not there for me. That's okay though, sometime when I try Cyanogen again I'll give this guide a shot.
26th June 2015, 03:48 PM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuy96

Couldn't find the "values" file or "strings.xml" or "No notifications"

I used Notepad++'s "Search in Files" to search through every file in systemUI's and framework's xmls and everything for the words "No notifications" . . . . and zero hits.

But I'm runnnig PAC Rom on the Nexus 5 so I guess it's not there for me. That's okay though, sometime when I try Cyanogen again I'll give this guide a shot.

if you are using your phone in english language go "values-en" and there must be a "strings.xml" (if you are not using in english set your phone to english and try) :/
The Following User Says Thank You to TimurAlaskara_TR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TimurAlaskara_TR Ad-Free
1st July 2015, 12:31 PM |#4  
Bermuda Triangle.. HELP!

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timuralaskara

if you are using your phone in english language go "values-en" and there must be a "strings.xml" (if you are not using in english set your phone to english and try) :/

Yeah, and I even used a Cyanogenmod ROM this time, still no "values-en" folder, no strings.xml , and yes I've been using English.

Still no luck

Could you send me your modified systemUI, somehow?
I could try a few things, maybe create a flashable zip if I find a solution.
1st July 2015, 08:59 PM |#5  
I will send you my decompiled systemui.apk folder later on maybe tomorrow. Or give ya a screenshot. Because on every device i do own there is a values-XX folder in systemui :S

Are you sure that you have successfully decompiled it and had no errors? Because sometimes it does not decompile everything. Use
android multitool its tha best decompiler and do not forget to install framework-res.apk (located in system/framework).

You can send me your systemui too i will try it (send me systemui in system/priv-app and framework-res.apk located in system/framework)
Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to TimurAlaskara_TR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TimurAlaskara_TR Ad-Free
22nd May 2016, 06:03 PM |#6  
Bermuda Triangle.. HELP!

More
This is probably the most delayed reply ever but...

I finally got it working! I tried it out again today - this time absolutely focused xD I still have absolutely no idea what went wrong back then, but I'm so glad it's working now. I followed on through that German YouTube video (made the first comment to it too!) and it worked!
I think I'll even use this method to change other text all over the phone xD Make it more informal (Battery is charging > Battery's charging - lil stuff like that) and stuff to be more like me haha.
I'll have to do this every time I change ROMs though and I'm pretty frequent at that.. I'll see if I can try adding only my customized values-en xml to a new ROM's SystemUI apk and hopefully having it work..?

But that's for another time, for now, I'm kinda happy to have this clean, empty notification shade. Real slick!
Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuitarGuy96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GuitarGuy96 Ad-Free
15th July 2016, 06:36 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuy96

This is probably the most delayed reply ever but...

I finally got it working! I tried it out again today - this time absolutely focused xD I still have absolutely no idea what went wrong back then, but I'm so glad it's working now. I followed on through that German YouTube video (made the first comment to it too!) and it worked!
I think I'll even use this method to change other text all over the phone xD Make it more informal (Battery is charging > Battery's charging - lil stuff like that) and stuff to be more like me haha.
I'll have to do this every time I change ROMs though and I'm pretty frequent at that.. I'll see if I can try adding only my customized values-en xml to a new ROM's SystemUI apk and hopefully having it work..?

But that's for another time, for now, I'm kinda happy to have this clean, empty notification shade. Real slick!
Thanks!

am glad to see it is working now for you
i think it was because you hadnt got the right apktool, so you hadnt the values folder after decompiling
you can also look in the normal "values" folder in dimens, bools, and integers.xml there are some really amazing values you can modify
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)