FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to build LineageOS 16.0 on Windows 10 (via WSL 1.0)

326 posts
Thanks Meter: 234

By Uldiniad, Senior Member on 15th February 2018, 05:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th June 2018, 02:25 AM |#221  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I don't compile in WSL, i use ubuntu host. previously i use ubuntu guest in virtualbox (win7)

are there a command similar "make clean"?
30th June 2018, 02:43 AM |#222  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by olavsu1

I don't compile in WSL, i use ubuntu host. previously i use ubuntu guest in virtualbox (win7)

are there a command similar "make clean"?

Please note the crucial keyword in the title of the article: How to build LineageOS 15.1 on Windows 10 (specifically, via WSL)
If you are not using the exact thing that this article is all about, what are you doing here (aside from wasting everyone's time including yours)?

WSL build environment failures are my problem. If you run into any of those come back and report. Else no.

There are enough resources on how to build lineageOS on native and forums for your device. Go post there.

Thanks
30th June 2018, 03:54 AM |#223  

More
ehh, it's not importat what others are using, wsl or native linux. the compile protcess is 100% same.

I was using Your guide started at point 5 and it works.

take it easy.
30th June 2018, 02:30 PM |#224  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by olavsu1

ehh, it's not importat what others are using, wsl or native linux. the compile protcess is 100% same.

I was using Your guide started at point 5 and it works.

take it easy.

It is not the exact same process. Why would i make a guide if it was? Have you checked wsl-compile on Gerrit? That should show you the differences from compiling on native.
Also there's a lineageOS wiki page for building your device on native Debian based Linux
30th June 2018, 02:54 PM |#225  

More
what are differenses? I don't see any differense. all things after point 5 works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uldiniad

Have you checked wsl-compile on Gerrit?

it's not needed my case.

all problems what I see gome out from source, not from partly following your guide.

case closed
thanks for Your guide.
6th July 2018, 04:23 PM |#226  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Nice guide! Can I build using core i5-7200u with 8GB RAM?
8th July 2018, 10:02 PM |#227  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProttoyX

Nice guide! Can I build using core i5-7200u with 8GB RAM?

The only thing that makes a difference in this case concerning the CPU is speed. The slower the CPU the more hair you pull, the faster, the happier.
RAM though is a bigger deal. Google recommends 16GB on native but on WSL it is all the more important because we already have Windows and the programs you run in the background taking a chunk of that, then WSL and the programs you run on it. Jack already tends to OOM on less than 16GB on native. So if you want to try it, be my guest. But if you run into memory issues, you'll have been warned.
9th July 2018, 10:19 AM |#228  
Flag Dhaka

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uldiniad

The only thing that makes a difference in this case concerning the CPU is speed. The slower the CPU the more hair you pull, the faster, the happier.
RAM though is a bigger deal. Google recommends 16GB on native but on WSL it is all the more important because we already have Windows and the programs you run in the background taking a chunk of that, then WSL and the programs you run on it. Jack already tends to OOM on less than 16GB on native. So if you want to try it, be my guest. But if you run into memory issues, you'll have been warned.

Thank you for your nice explanation!
One more thing! How can I edit or modify files on WSL? With nano/vim only? Or there's other way?
9th July 2018, 11:10 AM |#229  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:

Thank you for your nice explanation!
One more thing! How can I edit or modify files on WSL? With nano/vim only? Or there's other way?

You can find the WSL ubuntu root in C:\Users|\[Your username]\AppData\Local\Packages\CanonicalGroupLimited.Ubun tuonWindows_***\LocalState\rootfs
By this way you can edit the file in Windows if you like.
9th July 2018, 12:03 PM |#230  
Flag Dhaka

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaEsAcademy

You can find the WSL ubuntu root in C:\Users|\[Your username]\AppData\Local\Packages\CanonicalGroupLimited.Ubun tuonWindows_***\LocalState\rootfs
By this way you can edit the file in Windows if you like.

Thanks! But I've heard that permission conflicts occurs and some file is case sensitive on Linux, but couldn't be saved with the same name in Windows! Doesn't that mean we can't modify all files on Windows!
9th July 2018, 04:13 PM |#231  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks! But I've heard that permission conflicts occurs and some file is case sensitive on Linux, but couldn't be saved with the same name in Windows! Doesn't that mean we can't modify all files on Windows!

You are correct. You can ignore the other reply. There is a reason I say in the warnings section of the guide to only modify the files in WSL from within. Nano and Vim work fine but if you want to be more efficient you might want to look into setting up a desktop environment (the post right under OP has resources for that) and getting stuff like Atom or Sublime.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bashonwindows, lineageos, windows, wsl

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)