[GUIDE] How to Disable/Remove the new "WhatsApp Status" feature

Search This thread

GokulNC

Jan 10, 2015
Chennai
github.com
If you're one of the guys who's hating the new "WhatsApp Status" feature like me, this thread is for you!!

OLD METHOD: (Does not work)

Requirements:
1. ROOTed device
2. Any Root File Explorer or SharedPreferences Editor

Note:
This trick was working only till version 2.17.81.. So, it will no longer work on newer versions. (All you can do now is switch to older versions to get rid of the feature)
WHY?
This status_mode sharedpref is like a remote config, which gets altered by changing the server-side parameter values.
It seems WhatsApp used this to enable the feature to all updated devices (of specific groups) at once when needed, instead of just immediately enabling the feature when it's implemented in the app.
Since it has seemed to them the feature is stable, the condition checking for status_mode was removed, and status feature has been made permanent.
Steps:

0. Force Stop WhatsApp before proceeding.

1. a. For Root Explorers, open the file '/data/data/com.whatsapp/shared_prefs/com.whatsapp_preferences.xml'
b. For SharedPreference Editors, select 'WhatsApp' and then select 'com.whatsapp_preferences'.

2. Find the key name: 'status_mode' and edit its value from '1' and make it as '0'.
For text editors, change
Code:
<int name="status_mode" value="[I][B]1[/B][/I]"/>
to:
Code:
<int name="status_mode" value="[I][B]0[/B][/I]"/>
3. Now, launch WhatsApp and see if there's a difference :cool:
Methods that work as of now:

You may use any one of the following Xposed Modules:
1. WhatsApp Extensions
2. WA Tweaker

Last edited:

MarcusBremen

Aug 6, 2010
worked on 2.17.80

but... does anyone see my old status, when he already has the new one??
good question...

Reactions: GokulNC

Robert342

Oct 17, 2014
Perfect job. Thanks. If doesn't work or Status back after reboot device/airplane mode off - back to com.whatsapp_preferences.xml and change every attributes of file to read only. It helps for me when Status back after reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: farran and GokulNC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're one of the guys who's hating the new "WhatsApp Status" feature like me, this thread is for you!!

OLD METHOD: (Does not work)

Requirements:
    1. ROOTed device
    2. Any Root File Explorer or SharedPreferences Editor

Note:
    This trick was working only till version 2.17.81.. So, it will no longer work on newer versions. (All you can do now is switch to older versions to get rid of the feature)
    WHY?
    This status_mode sharedpref is like a remote config, which gets altered by changing the server-side parameter values.
    It seems WhatsApp used this to enable the feature to all updated devices (of specific groups) at once when needed, instead of just immediately enabling the feature when it's implemented in the app.
    Since it has seemed to them the feature is stable, the condition checking for status_mode was removed, and status feature has been made permanent.
    Steps:

0. Force Stop WhatsApp before proceeding.

1. a. For Root Explorers, open the file '/data/data/com.whatsapp/shared_prefs/com.whatsapp_preferences.xml'
    b. For SharedPreference Editors, select 'WhatsApp' and then select 'com.whatsapp_preferences'.

2. Find the key name: 'status_mode' and edit its value from '1' and make it as '0'.
    For text editors, change
    Code:
    <int name="status_mode" value="[I][B]1[/B][/I]"/>
    to:
    Code:
    <int name="status_mode" value="[I][B]0[/B][/I]"/>
    3. Now, launch WhatsApp and see if there's a difference :cool:
    Methods that work as of now:

You may use any one of the following Xposed Modules:
    1. WhatsApp Extensions
    2. WA Tweaker
    when you update the app it will be enabled again, sometimes when you go to airplane mode and back it will be enabled again.

The files is updated server side and pushed to clients.
    Working fine with latest beta. Thanks! :)
    Works fine on official 2.17.79 version. You must do it properly and ensure your file is saved properly.