FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to Disable/Remove the new "WhatsApp Status" feature

775 posts
Thanks Meter: 933

Post Reply Email Thread
If you're one of the guys who's hating the new "WhatsApp Status" feature like me, this thread is for you!!

Requirements:
1. ROOTed device
2. Any Root File Explorer or SharedPreferences Editor

Note:
This trick was working only till version 2.17.81.. So, it will no longer work on newer versions. (All you can do now is switch to older versions to get rid of the feature)
WHY?
This status_mode sharedpref is like a remote config, which gets altered by changing the server-side parameter values.
It seems WhatsApp used this to enable the feature to all updated devices (of specific groups) at once when needed, instead of just immediately enabling the feature when it's implemented in the app.
Since it has seemed to them the feature is stable, the condition checking for status_mode was removed, and status feature has been made permanent.
Steps:

0. Force Stop WhatsApp before proceeding.

1. a. For Root Explorers, open the file '/data/data/com.whatsapp/shared_prefs/com.whatsapp_preferences.xml'
b. For SharedPreference Editors, select 'WhatsApp' and then select 'com.whatsapp_preferences'.

2. Find the key name: 'status_mode' and edit its value from '1' and make it as '0'.
For text editors, change
Code:
<int name="status_mode" value="1"/>
to:
Code:
<int name="status_mode" value="0"/>
3. Now, launch WhatsApp and see if there's a difference
The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to GokulNC For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GokulNC Ad-Free

24th February 2017, 07:36 PM |#2  
Flag Punjab
Thanks Meter: 1,095

More
Working fine with latest beta. Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abhibnl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abhibnl Ad-Free
24th February 2017, 07:40 PM |#3  
Flag Bogota
Thanks Meter: 63

More
No working for me
24th February 2017, 07:48 PM |#4  
Flag Banting
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Doesn't work. WhatsApp version 2.17.79
24th February 2017, 08:01 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 129

More
when you update the app it will be enabled again, sometimes when you go to airplane mode and back it will be enabled again.

The files is updated server side and pushed to clients.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to armando_rod For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift armando_rod Ad-Free
24th February 2017, 08:02 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
works for me versie 2.17.79
The Following User Says Thank You to remaster For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift remaster Ad-Free
24th February 2017, 08:13 PM |#7  
Flag London, England, UK
Thanks Meter: 320

More
Thanks man!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LazerL0rd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LazerL0rd Ad-Free
24th February 2017, 08:14 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Works fine on official 2.17.79 version. You must do it properly and ensure your file is saved properly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1manshow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 1manshow Ad-Free
24th February 2017, 08:34 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 9,090

More
worked on 2.17.80

but... does anyone see my old status, when he already has the new one??
good question...
The Following User Says Thank You to MarcusBremen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MarcusBremen Ad-Free
24th February 2017, 08:44 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Perfect job. Thanks. If doesn't work or Status back after reboot device/airplane mode off - back to com.whatsapp_preferences.xml and change every attributes of file to read only. It helps for me when Status back after reboot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert342 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Robert342 Ad-Free
25th February 2017, 01:13 AM |#11  
Account currently disabled
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 206

Donate to Me
More
Whatsapp V2.17.82 Latest Beta

I think its removed from preferences. I can't find it.
The Following User Says Thank You to shivdroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shivdroid Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread