FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Are you able to reboot to EDL mode with this method?

Yes

116 Vote(s)
50.66%
No

48 Vote(s)
20.96%
Have no EDL mode in my device

65 Vote(s)
28.38%

[GUIDE]How to reboot to EDL from fastboot

51 posts
Thanks Meter: 148

By emuzychenko, Member on 7th June 2016, 07:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Most Qualcomm-based Android PDAs support emergency download (EDL) mode allowing to unbrick device, unlock bootloader or modify protected device parameters. If ADB interface is accessible, "adb reboot edl" can be used to reboot to EDL mode.

Many bricked PDAs cannot be booted with full ADB support while FastBoot mode is accessible. But if bootloader is locked, there is no way to flash a partition or boot an image.

Some firmwares support rebooting to EDL in Android Bootloader aboot module (the "reboot-edl" command) but fastboot utility doesn't recognize "reboot-edl" in the command line and refuses to sent the command to the device.

Since FastBoot command protocol is simple and text-based, it is enough to send a packet containing "reboot-edl" text over USB. The simplest way to do that is to patch Windows fastboot.exe file, replacing "reboot-bootloader" text with "reboot-edl". As "reboot-bootloader" string is found in the command line, fastboot.exe sends the same constant string to the device. So if "reboot-bootloader" is replaced with "reboot-edl", you can specify "reboot-edl" in the command line and the same text will be sent to the device.

In the attached example, the mentioned string is located at offset 2685c.

I occasionally locked bootloader in my unlocked/rooted Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Snapdragon) so it could boot to FastBoot or Diagnostic 900E modes. Tried to swich from 900E to 9008 with QPST but it reported unspecified error.

Analyzing aboot (emmc_appsboot.mbn), found that it supports "reboot-edl" so the only remaining thing was to find a way to send it to the bootloader.

With the attached fastboot.exe, successfully rebooted to EDL mode (9008) and re-flashed proper partition images.

Of course, patched version does not support "reboot-bootloader" command because it has been replaced by "reboot-edl".

There also is a detailed guide.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z fastboot_edl.7z - [Click for QR Code] (135.0 KB, 391814 views)
The Following 126 Users Say Thank You to emuzychenko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift emuzychenko Ad-Free

8th June 2016, 07:23 AM |#2  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag cd ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ India
Thanks Meter: 9,574

Donate to Me
More
Works perfectly for me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Santhosh M For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th June 2016, 10:43 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
It's working and for me also! Great work!
Many users can to reject the test point method.
8th June 2016, 10:52 AM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Novosibirsk

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_wheel

It's working and for me also!

Please don't forget to vote to collect a proper statistics.
8th June 2016, 04:02 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you very much. You are a genius ;D
8th June 2016, 04:58 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thank you so much.

I was able to enter edl-mode but miflash gives error 0x80070008 max buffer sector is 256. What can i do?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alessiobnb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alessiobnb Ad-Free
8th June 2016, 05:41 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Novosibirsk

More
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with MiFlash so cannot help you. It is better to search other threads (here and on Xiaomi).
8th June 2016, 08:20 PM |#8  
Flag Milan
Thanks Meter: 32

More
It doesn't work on xiaomi Mi5
What a pity, I saw for the moment the hope
8th June 2016, 08:30 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Novosibirsk

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecno789

It doesn't work on xiaomi Mi5

Will take a look at Mi 5 bootloader. Maybe there is a solution too.
8th June 2016, 08:32 PM |#10  
Flag Milan
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuzychenko

Will take a look at Mi 5 bootloader. Maybe there is a solution too.

Thanks too much.

I will appreciate it
The Following User Says Thank You to tecno789 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tecno789 Ad-Free
8th June 2016, 08:44 PM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Novosibirsk

More
Who has no success with this method, please upload somewhere (or post URL to an existing file) the image file of your "aboot" partition from FastBoot firmware, I will try to analyze them. For Redmi Note 3 Pro, image file is named "emmc_appsboot.mbn". If your FastBoot firmware contains a batch file that calls fastboot.exe, the appropriate image file name can be found there.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread