FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[LIVE-ISO][FWUL][STABLE] adb/fastboot without any installation and driver issues

1,317 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,929

By steadfasterX, Senior Member on 27th December 2016, 10:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
About

Do you have ever thought:

Quote:

"wtf? Windows is not detecting my Android phone?!"

or do you just wanna support someone which is using Windows and having that issue?
  • ... of course you have re-installed the drivers of your phone's vendor.
  • ... of course you have re-downloaded the newest one from the the vendor's homepage as well
  • ... of course it still does not work!
Calm down. That's normal because you're still using that OS named Windows! Is it worth it's money? Is it worth that you get spied from a big company? Well that's your decision but maybe now is a good time to think about alternatives. The project's title [F]orget [W]indows [U]se [L]inux says it all no ?

This is where this Live ISO should help you out. On Linux we do not have such phone driver issues (there are others but forget about that now) so the purpose of this ISO is to give you a quick and working start to just use the standard Android debugging tools like adb and fastboot with ease.

Project Status

Rock stable
well.. and: it could influence you sooner or later and you may never want to go back to your Windows...

Features

Based on the amazing Arch Linux
  • Windows 10 Theme for you my Windows lovers
  • fast, stable and the most current Android debug experience you will ever get! it just works.
  • Multi-Language support (If you miss your language let me know)
  • adb and fastboot preinstalled and ready to use (thx for the amazing udev rules)
  • simple ADB tool - a GUI for adb/fastboot (thx to the developer!)
  • full MTP support
  • full PTP support
  • Teamviewer (TV) installer! If you need it just install it by simply starting the installer in the Desktop
  • KISS + removed all docs + man pages keeping that ISO at small size
  • JOdin (Java based version of Odin for Samsung devices) (Develop thread at XDA)
  • hexchat to get support
  • heimdall (GUI/CLI tool for Samsung devices)
  • Installer for Sony Flashtool
  • Installer for spflashtool for MediaTek devices
  • If you find something is not working LET US KNOW!
  • The LGLaf tool to get shell access for unbricking LG phones
  • Full Oracle VirtualBox support (since v1-1):
    -> 512 MB RAM for the VM is the lowest recommended (you may fail to use any installer though but adb and fastboot will work out of the box) but it would even work with less. Not that smoothly of course.
    -> 2+ GB RAM for the VM is recommended
    -> you have to download and install the VirtualBox extension pack for full USB support
    -> keep in mind: Even running in a VM is supported you will have best performance and best user experience when running from CD/DVD/USB-Stick instead

Usage
  1. Download
  2. Burn it to a CD or use one of the billion USB Live CD creator tools available
    I recommend rufus (click) and this user guide
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richie16171

If someone has problem to make USB , here are three options from Windows. I took this from Wiki...
    In Windows.

Using Rufus
    Rufus is a multi-purpose USB iso writer. Simply select the Arch Linux ISO, the USB drive you want to create the bootable Arch Linux onto and click start.
    Since Rufus does not care if the drive is properly formatted or not and provides a GUI it may be the easiest and most robust tool to use.

Using USBwriter
    This method does not require any workaround and is as straightforward as dd under Linux. Just download the Arch Linux ISO, and with local administrator rights use the USBwriter utility to write to your USB flash memory.

Using win32diskimager
    win32diskimager is another graphical USB iso writing tool for Windows. Simply select your iso image and the target USB drive letter (you may have to format it first to assign it a drive letter), and click Write.

If none of the above does work for you try to download VirtualBox + the VirtualBox Extension pack and add a new VM with the FWUL iso
    -> 512 MB RAM for the VM is the lowest recommended (you may fail to use any installer though but adb and fastboot will work out of the box) but it would even work with less. Not that smoothly of course.
    -> 2+ GB RAM for the VM is recommended
  3. Boot FWUL
  4. Login with username/password: android/linux
  5. Open the terminal application (at the bottom the black small window or open the "Windows" menu and choose from there)
  6. type in:
    adb devices

one note about fastboot:
  • You MAY have to use fastboot this way to work properly (normally not needed as our udev rules should handle that but just for the case):
  • sudo fastboot xxxx
  • e.g.
  • sudo fastboot devices
  • When asked for a password type in the same as the login password
Download

XDA had problems in the past regarding file upload ...
so I decided to choose AndroidFileHost as our primary dl-server from now on.

Main Download-Server:
Androidfilehost (click here to download FWUL)

Backup Mirror (XDA):
Go to the Download tab in this post

Support / IRC Channel
IRC means Internet Relay Chat and you will get best support there only.
Choose how to get in:
Changelog

See Post #2

Known Issues

FAQ

See Post #4

Credits
  • The whole Arch Linux community for the best Linux experience ever
  • www.androidfilehost.com for mirror our files without any costs
  • https://github.com/M0Rf30 for the amazing list of android udev rules
  • AdamOutler for creating JOdin
  • @mhashem6 for simple ADB!

XDA:DevDB Information
FWUL - Forget Windows Use Linux - an adb/fastboot ISO, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
steadfasterX
Source Code: https://github.com/Carbon-Fusion/build_fwul

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.3
Stable Release Date: 2017-04-19

Created 2016-12-27
Last Updated 2017-04-19
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fwulscreenshot_002.png
Views:	4464
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	4040141   Click image for larger version

Name:	fwul_boot.png
Views:	4420
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	4040158   Click image for larger version

Name:	fwul_installers.jpg
Views:	4414
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	4040159  
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steadfasterX Ad-Free

27th December 2016, 10:47 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Changelog

FWUL_1-3_x86-64.iso
Released: 2017-04-19
Download: Go to the Download section in the OP
Full Changelog: on Github
All closed issues for this release: see the Milestone tracking on github
  • Fresh Arch base from the day of release (means all packages are top current)
  • updated heimdall to heimdall-git from AUR (user request)
  • Samsung and LG tools are moved to subfolders on the desktop
  • LG LAF shell is now fully usable (missed a python package) and now much more easily accessible by 2 desktop icons in the LG folder
  • fixed issue #5 (thunar volume manager was missing)
  • fixed issue #2 (compress/extract in file explorer thunar was not possible)
  • shrinked ISO size a LOT

Older releases

FWUL_1-2_x86-64.iso
Released: 2017-04-11
  • Turkish language added (user request)
  • Firefox installer added
  • Chromium installer added
  • some minor fixes

FWUL_1-1_x86-64.iso
Released: 2017-03-18
  • Added 3 failsafe boot modes (i hope that helps ppl with booting issues)
  • Added LGLaf tool to get shell access for unbricking LG phones
  • Added a hint to the installer popup about "Potential dangerous" note when installing
  • Fix for Sony Flashtool: AUR provides only 0.9.22.3 instead of the newest 0.9.23.1 (which then gets patched to 0.9.23.2 ... omg )
  • Fix for Sony Flashtool: the installer was not able to download anymore (link in AUR is dead! I needed to provide a new DIRECT-DL mirror to accomplish this! thx XDA )
  • Added full support for Oracle VirtualBox - you can now boot into a VM instead of rebooting the whole PC
    -> you need to downlad and install the Oracle EXTENSION PACK to make full use of USB etc
    -> 8 GB of PC RAM are recommended (give as much as you can to FWUL! e.g. 6 GB)

FWUL_1-0_x86-64.iso
Released: 2017-02-13
Changes:
  • First stable release of FWUL (well the previous ones were stable too but we now feel like that all needed things are working as they should)
  • github changelog
    (wifi issues are fixed in this build besides so many other things.. just read the above changelog)

FWUL_BETA-3_x86-64.iso
Released: 2017-01-17
Changes:
  • Initial release based on Arch Linux
  • github changelog
  • The following known issue and workaround exists for this particular release:
    Quote:

I cannot connect password protected wireless network...only free to air connects. When I click on password connected wireless network., it simply don't open.

There is a package missing which will be included in the next build.
    You can still use Beta-3 when you do this after booting (The procedure has to be repeated on every boot):
    1. click on the WiFi you want to connect to. nothing will happen but it is needed for the next step.
    2. right-click on the network symbol in the panel and select "edit connections"
    3. you should see the WiFi you tried to connect to --> click on it and then on edit
    4. open tab "WiFi security" and type in the WiFi key
    5. Save it and it should connect

If you can connect once by cable you can follow this instead:
    1. Connect the network cable
    2. Open a terminal (look at the panel at the bottom - black window with c:\ in it)
    3. type in that terminal:
      sudo pacman -S gnome-keyring
    4. you will be asked for your password (linux) and then press Enter when asked to install it
    5. Disconnect the network cable
    6. Afterwards it will work. No reboot. Just try again

FWUL_BETA-2_x86_64.iso
Released: 2017-01-05
Changes:
  • now based on Ubuntu Mini Remix 16.04.1 + all updates/patches up to now
  • switched to 64bit arch because of JOdin mainly
  • reduced file size
  • added: TeamViewer, JOdin3, heimdall (GUI) and other tools
  • new wallpaper background

FWUL-i386-LM18_b1
Released: 2016-12-28
Changes:
  • Initial release based on LM18.1 + all updates/patches up to now, removed some unnecessary stuff, added adb and fastboot etc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steadfasterX Ad-Free
27th December 2016, 10:47 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Roadmap

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steadfasterX Ad-Free
27th December 2016, 10:48 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
  1. Secure boot message
    When booting up you may see a message like:
    Unauthorized changes detected
    Or
    Secure boot error
    Or similar.
    This is the windows secure boot detection which should avoid malware to boot. As FWUL is unknown to Microsoft (shame on them ) you get prompted.
    Please try this to enable FWUL to boot: http://superuser.com/q/1054790

#
29th December 2016, 09:24 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 339

More
Good project Hope it cuts down the load of developers
The Following User Says Thank You to DevUt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DevUt Ad-Free
29th December 2016, 09:27 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevUt

Please add an option to use another theme

This is for Windows users not yet brave enough switching over to Linux so ... So no it makes no sense using any other theme for this kind of ISO
btw: you can use other themes when logged in if u like..
17th January 2017, 02:09 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
FWUL_BETA-3_x86-64.iso released!
Changes:
  • Initial release based on Arch Linux
  • github changelog
The Following User Says Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steadfasterX Ad-Free
18th January 2017, 07:46 AM |#8  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 788

Donate to Me
More
@steadfasterX ,
its a debloated linux mint ? imma replace my linux distro on dual boot with this and come in github to help a little too.

the name is bad its like you try execute windows in cold blood ! i don't think the purpose of this project is to kick Bill Gates ass
rename it to something that has to do with android or just give it a new name of your choice that best suits to your liking
The Following User Says Thank You to kessaras For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kessaras Ad-Free
18th January 2017, 09:42 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessaras

@steadfasterX ,
its a debloated linux mint ? imma replace my linux distro on dual boot with this and come in github to help a little too.

the name is bad its like you try execute windows in cold blood ! i don't think the purpose of this project is to kick Bill Gates ass
rename it to something that has to do with android or just give it a new name of your choice that best suits to your liking

No Mint just read the OP

No just put it on a stick that's enough because the ISO is changing and we should test exactly how it would be for the end user..

The name is perfect if you don't like it search urban for FWUL it's fun

#

Sent from my LG-H815 using XDA Labs
18th January 2017, 11:12 AM |#11  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 788

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfasterX

No Mint just read the OP
No just put it on a stick that's enough because the ISO is changing and we should test exactly how it would be for the end user..
The name is perfect if you don't like it search urban for FWUL it's fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Divjakovski

F*** windows use linux!!

lol
virtual machine with steadfasterX FWUL
so no need to even reboot to live usb.
F**K windows !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kessaras For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kessaras Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread