[REFERENCE] How to compile an Android kernel

Search This thread

nathanchance

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ
nathanchance.dev
Introduction

Hello everyone, I will be going over how to compile a kernel from beginning to end!

Prerequisites:
  • A Linux environment (preferably 64-bit)
  • Knowledge of how to navigate the command line
  • Common sense
  • A learning spirit, there will be no spoonfeeding here

What this guide will cover:
  1. Downloading the source
  2. Downloading a cross compiler
  3. Building the kernel
  4. Flashing the kernel

What this guide will NOT cover:
  • Setting up a build environment (plenty of existing Linux installation guides)
  • Adding features to the kernel (plenty of git cherry-picking guides)

I know this has been done before but on a cursory search, I have not seen a guide that was recently updated at all.

If you have a custom kernel you want to build, move along after cloning the kernel using the git clone command below.

If you are compiling your stock kernel, it is ultimately up to you to know where to get your kernel source from but here are some common places:

Google: https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/msm/ (pick your architecture and look at the branches)
LG: http://opensource.lge.com/index
Samsung: http://opensource.samsung.com/reception.do
HTC: https://www.htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads
OnePlus: https://github.com/OnePlusOSS
Motorola: https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC
Sony: https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/kernel

To download the kernel, you can either use git clone or download the tarball and extract it:
Code:
git clone -b <branch_to_checkout> <url> <desired_folder_name>

OR

tar -xvf <filename>

For example, if I wanted to grab the latest Nexus 6P from Google above:
Code:
git clone -b android-msm-angler-3.10-nougat-mr2 https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/msm/ angler
This will clone the kernel/msm repo into an angler folder and checkout the android-msm-angler-3.10-nougat-mr2 automatically.

I can try and help you locate your source if necessary.

Since most Android devices are ARM based, we need a compiler that is targeting ARM devices. A host (or native) compiler will not work unless you are compiling on another ARM device.

You can either compile one yourself if you know how (crosstool-NG is a great tool for this) or download a prebuilt one. Luckily Google provides a high quality toolchain for this, in both an arm (32-bit) and arm64 (64-bit). It's up to you to know the architecture of your device. Typically speaking, most devices in the past two-three years are 64-bit.

Another popular toolchain is UberTC, which can be found here: https://bitbucket.org/matthewdalex/. Most kernels will need patches for anything higher than 4.9 and while I don't mind assisting with finding them, you should compile with Google's toolchain first.

Once you have decided, clone the toolchain:
Code:
git clone <url>

3. Compile the kernel

1. Point the Makefile to your compiler (run this from within the toolchain folder!!)
Code:
export CROSS_COMPILE=$(pwd)/bin/<toolchain_prefix>-
Example:
Code:
export CROSS_COMPILE=$(pwd)/bin/aarch64-linux-android-

NOTE #1: For kernels that can be compiled with Clang (like the Pixel 2), see this guide. I will support it here if there are any questions.

NOTE #2: Pixel and Pixel 2 users, you will need to follow these steps as well if compiling for Android Pie.

2. Tell the Makefile the architecture of the device
Code:
export ARCH=<arch> && export SUBARCH=<arch>
Example:
Code:
export ARCH=arm64 && export SUBARCH=arm64

3. Locate your proper defconfig
Navigate to the arch/<arch>/configs folder within the kernel source (e.g. arch/arm64/configs) and locate your device's or custom kernel developer's proper config file. For example, it will often be in the form of <codename>_defconfig or <kernel_name>_defconfig. Generic Qualcomm configs may be used as well (msm-perf_defconfig, msmcortex-perf_defconfig). When in doubt, ask here if you are confused. A defconfig tells the compiler what options to add to the kernel.

4. Build the kernel

Code:
make clean
make mrproper
make <defconfig_name>
make -j$(nproc --all)

If those commands succeed, you will have an Image, Image-dtb, Image.gz, or Image.gz-dtb file at the end.

If it failed, as was pointed out to me by @flar2 while making a complete idiot of myself, you may need to specify an output directory while making new CAF based kernels, like so:
Code:
mkdir -p out
make O=out clean
make O=out mrproper
make O=out <defconfig_name>
make O=out -j$(nproc --all)

If after that something is still broken, you may need to fix some headers or other issues. If it is a custom kernel, bring it up with your developer.
If it's an OEM, it's up to you to try and fix it, which we can assist with.

4. Flash the kernel

Assuming you were able to compile the kernel successfully, you now need to flash it! I will be covering two different ways to flash a compiled kernel: unpacking and repacking the boot image by hand using Android Image Kitchen or AnyKernel2, both by the brilliant @osm0sis. If there are any per-device nuances, please let me know and I'll add them here! Additionally, this section can vary drastically by device, you may need to consult developers of your device for assistance if necessary.

Android Image Kitchen

1. Pull your device's boot image from the latest image available for your device (whether it be a ROM or stock)
  2. Download the latest Android Image Kitchen from this thread.
  3. Run the following with the boot image:
    Code:
    unpackimg.sh <image_name>.img
  4. Locate the zImage file and replace it with your kernel image (rename it to what came out of the boot image)
  5. Run the following to repack:
    Code:
    repackimg.sh
  6. Flash the new boot image with fastboot or TWRP!

AnyKernel2

1. Download the latest AnyKernel2 zip: https://github.com/osm0sis/AnyKernel2/archive/master.zip
  2. Apply this patch to clean out all of the demo files:
    Code:
    wget https://github.com/nathanchance/AnyKernel2/commit/addb6ea860aab14f0ef684f6956d17418f95f29a.diff
    patch -p1 < addb6ea860aab14f0ef684f6956d17418f95f29a.diff
    rm addb6ea860aab14f0ef684f6956d17418f95f29a.diff
  3. Place your kernel image in the root of the file.
  4. Open the anykernel.sh file and modify the following values:
    • kernel.string: your kernel name
    • device.name#: List all of your device's codenames (from the /system/build.prop: ro.product.device, ro.build.product)
    • block: Your boot image's path in your fstab. The fstab can be opened from the root of your device and it will look something like this:
      https://android.googlesource.com/device/huawei/angler/+/master/fstab.angler
      The first column is the value you want to set block to.
  5. After that, zip up the kernel and flash it!
    Code:
    zip -r9 kernel.zip * -x README.md kernel.zip

Tips and tricks

1. Remove GCC wrapper

A lot of kernels from CAF include a Python script that will essentially turn on -Werror, causing your build to error at the most benign stuff. This is necessary with higher GCC versions as there are a lot more warnings.

Here is the diff of what you need to change in the Makefile:
Code:
diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
index 1aaa760f255f..bfccd5594630 100644
--- a/Makefile
+++ b/Makefile
@@ -326,7 +326,7 @@ include $(srctree)/scripts/Kbuild.include

AS		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)as
 LD		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)ld
-REAL_CC		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc
+CC		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc
 CPP		= $(CC) -E
 AR		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)ar
 NM		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)nm
@@ -340,10 +340,6 @@ DEPMOD		= /sbin/depmod
 PERL		= perl
 CHECK		= sparse

-# Use the wrapper for the compiler.  This wrapper scans for new
-# warnings and causes the build to stop upon encountering them.
-CC		= $(srctree)/scripts/gcc-wrapper.py $(REAL_CC)
-
 CHECKFLAGS     := -D__linux__ -Dlinux -D__STDC__ -Dunix -D__unix__ \
 		  -Wbitwise -Wno-return-void $(CF)
 CFLAGS_MODULE   =

2. Using a higher level GCC toolchain

Using a higher GCC toolchain (5.x, 6.x, 7.x or even 8.x) will require you to nuke the GCC wrapper script as above and use a unified GCC header file (pick the following if you have an include/linux/compiler-gcc#.h file):

3.4/3.10: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...h?id=a4a4f1cd733fe5b345db4e8cc19bb8868d562a8a
3.18: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...h?id=677fa15cd6d5b0843e7b9c58409f67d656b1ec2f

You may get a lot of warnings but they are not entirely necessary to fix.

3. Adding upstream Linux to kernel source

Once you have gotten familiar with git and the compilation process, you should consider upstreaming your kernel. This will allow you to stay on top of CVE and bug fixes by staying up to date with the latest work of the Linux kernel developers.

Receiving help

I am happy to answer anything that I touched on in this guide. I may point you to another thread if it's better suited but I don't mind off topic (within reason) within the thread. I also want this to be a collaborative effort; other developers, if you have something to add, correct, or improve upon, please let me know!

I am particular in how people ask for help. I do NOT respond to posts asking for a hand out ("How do I fix this?", "Please fix this!", etc.). I only respond to posts with clear logs and steps that you have tried. Basically, show me that you have read this guide and have a specific issue. I am not here to hold your hand through this, this is a developers' forum.

Last edited:

Subham

Aug 23, 2016
A really helpful guide much needed around for upcoming developers. This is the perfect guide for them. Nice work ?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: nathanchance

karandpr

Senior Mod | DC Lead | MC
Staff member
Feb 20, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi 4a
Nokia 6.1 Plus (Nokia X6)
Introduction

I am happy to answer anything that I touched on in this guide. I may point you to another thread if it's better suited but I don't mind off topic (within reason) within the thread. I also want this to be a collaborative effort; other developers, if you have something to add, correct, or improve upon, please let me know!

I am particular in how people ask for help. I do NOT respond to posts asking for a hand out ("How do I fix this?", "Please fix this!", etc.). I only respond to posts with clear logs and steps that you have tried. Basically, show me that you have read this guide and have a specific issue. I am not here to hold your hand through this, this is a developers' forum.

On a scale of 1-10 how much Off-Topic is allowed ? :highfive::laugh::silly::eek:

Nice guide :good: :highfive: ..

kevintm78

I have been using ./build_kernel.sh to compile kernels as was suggested by another guide and I'm wondering if there's any pros or cons doing it that way as opposed to using the make defconfig way.

They seem to be working ok but this is the second guide on xda that suggest the way you're doing it and I'm definitely open to change if this way is better. Any thoughts on the two methods would be much appreciated. I also would like to say thanks for these new guides as finding kernel dev info for newbies is very scarce and mostly outdated. I really look forward to seeing this thread take off. :good:

Reactions: tripLr

nathanchance

Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ
nathanchance.dev
I have been using ./build_kernel.sh to compile kernels as was suggested by another guide and I'm wondering if there's any pros or cons doing it that way as opposed to using the make defconfig way.

They seem to be working ok but this is the second guide on xda that suggest the way you're doing it and I'm definitely open to change if this way is better. Any thoughts on the two methods would be much appreciated. I also would like to say thanks for these new guides as finding kernel dev info for newbies is very scarce and mostly outdated. I really look forward to seeing this thread take off. :good:

Well this build_kernel.sh script is most likely doing just this. I personally use a script to compile and package my kernel, I would never do the "manual" way like this once you know how.

nathanchance

Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ
nathanchance.dev
I have updated the OP with a note about compiling newer CAF releases (3.18 and 4.4 to my knowledge). As was pointed out by @flar2 while I was making an idiot of myself accusing him of violating the GPL (for which I truly do apologize), you may need to specify an output directory (by adding an O= flag). This is actually done automatically when a ROM compiles a kernel inline so you will only run into this while compiling standalone.

I have added it to my script here if you want an idea of how to add it to yours.

AhmAdDev99

Jun 3, 2016
Hawler
So here i'am what should i do to fix the initramfs problem?
I tried "chmod -R a+x kernel" but i still get the same problem.

AhmAdDev99

Jun 3, 2016
Hawler
Have you tried the bit about specifying an out folder?
Yes , And this is exactly what i get

GEN /Kernel/android_kernel_samsung_t1-android-4.4/out/Makefile
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
GEN /Kernel/android_kernel_samsung_t1-android-4.4/out/Makefile
CHK include/linux/version.h
UPD include/linux/version.h
CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
UPD include/generated/utsrelease.h
Using /Kernel/android_kernel_samsung_t1-android-4.4 as source for kernel
HOSTCC scripts/genksyms/genksyms.o
Generating include/generated/mach-types.h
CC kernel/bounds.s
GEN include/generated/bounds.h
CC arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s
SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/lex.c
SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/parse.h
SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/keywords.c
SHIPPED scripts/genksyms/parse.c
HOSTCC scripts/genksyms/lex.o
CC scripts/mod/empty.o
HOSTCC scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
GEN include/generated/asm-offsets.h
CALL /Kernel/android_kernel_samsung_t1-android-4.4/scripts/checksyscalls.sh
HOSTCC scripts/genksyms/parse.o
HOSTCC scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders
MKELF scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
HOSTCC scripts/mod/file2alias.o
HOSTCC scripts/selinux/mdp/mdp
HOSTCC scripts/mod/modpost.o
HOSTCC scripts/kallsyms
HOSTLD scripts/genksyms/genksyms
HOSTCC scripts/conmakehash
HOSTCC scripts/recordmcount
HOSTCC scripts/mod/sumversion.o
HOSTLD scripts/mod/modpost
CHK include/generated/compile.h
CC init/main.o
HOSTCC usr/gen_init_cpio
CC arch/arm/vfp/vfpmodule.o
UPD include/generated/compile.h
CC init/do_mounts.o
GEN usr/initramfs_data.cpio
File ../../ramdisk.cpio could not be opened for reading
line 32
File ../../ramdisk-recovery.cpio could not be opened for reading
line 33
/Kernel/android_kernel_samsung_t1-android-4.4/usr/Makefile:67: recipe for target 'usr/initramfs_data.cpio' failed
make[2]: *** [usr/initramfs_data.cpio] Error 255
/Kernel/android_kernel_samsung_t1-android-4.4/Makefile:945: recipe for target 'usr' failed
make[1]: *** [usr] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
AS arch/arm/vfp/entry.o
AS arch/arm/vfp/vfphw.o
CC arch/arm/vfp/vfpsingle.o
CC arch/arm/vfp/vfpdouble.o
CC init/do_mounts_rd.o
CC init/do_mounts_initrd.o
CC init/initramfs.o
CC init/calibrate.o
CC init/version.o
LD arch/arm/vfp/vfp.o
LD arch/arm/vfp/built-in.o
LD init/mounts.o
LD init/built-in.o
Makefile:130: recipe for target 'sub-make' failed
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

chevycam94

May 2, 2010
West Mifflin, PA
www.youtube.com
I've been working a little more on my Pixel XL kernel. Question...

I do:

Code:
make clean && make mrproper
make marlin_defconfig
make menuconfig

I go through several options, save, and exit. But when I do "git status", it thinks nothing has changed? I'm not sure if that's true, or if it just doesn't track whatever files were modified by menuconfig (of which I have no idea which ones they are).

nathanchance

Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ
nathanchance.dev
I've been working a little more on my Pixel XL kernel. Question...

I do:

Code:
make marlin_defconfig
make menuconfig

I go through several options, save, and exit. But when I do "git status", it thinks nothing has changed? I'm not sure if that's true, or if it just doesn't track whatever files were modified by menuconfig (of which I have no idea which ones they are).

I'm sorry I forgot to reply to your message, I looked at it then left my computer. make menuconfig saves the changes to the .config file in the kernel source. You need to copy that file to your arch/arm64/configs/<defconfig_name>.

Reactions: tripLr

chevycam94

May 2, 2010
West Mifflin, PA
www.youtube.com
I'm sorry I forgot to reply to your message, I looked at it then left my computer. make menuconfig saves the changes to the .config file in the kernel source. You need to copy that file to your arch/arm64/configs/<defconfig_name>.

No problem. I'm not in a huge rush. It builds, and runs better than any kernel I have tried yet. Not joking. :p

So you're saying I need to copy the contents of the .config file INTO the "marlin_defconfig" file? Just append those lines to the end of the file?

Also, did I mention my little headache with my 9 "section_mismatch" errors? Doesn't seem to affect anything, but on this same build VM, I can build any other kernel source without any issues at all. So strange.

nathanchance

Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ
nathanchance.dev
No problem. I'm not in a huge rush. It builds, and runs better than any kernel I have tried yet. Not joking. :p

So you're saying I need to copy the contents of the .config file INTO the "marlin_defconfig" file? Just append those lines to the end of the file?

Also, did I mention my little headache with my 9 "section_mismatch" errors? Doesn't seem to affect anything, but on this same build VM, I can build any other kernel source without any issues at all. So strange.

You should just be able to copy the whole file (cp .config arch/arm64/configs/marlin_defconfig).

You could run a git bisect on your kernel source and see if there is a commit causing those mismatch errors. Very rarely is that a result of a toolchain or environment configuration.

Reactions: chevycam94

ZawZaw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 10, 2016
Pyay, Myanmar.
zawzaww.github.io
Hi..Sir Flash,

I want to ask a question for ARM Device. ( Nexus 6 )

This is right method for ARM?

example:

- - - - -
export CROSS_COMPILE=${HOME}/Kernel/Toolchain/bin/arm-eabi-

export ARCH=arm && export SUBARCH=arm

make shamu_defconfig

make -j$(nproc --all)
- - - - -

I want to know this about.
If this method is wronged, Please teach me Sir.

Thanks.

•••

Sent from my Google Nexus 5X using XDA Labs

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

Hello everyone, I will be going over how to compile a kernel from beginning to end!

Prerequisites:
    • A Linux environment (preferably 64-bit)
    • Knowledge of how to navigate the command line
    • Common sense
    • A learning spirit, there will be no spoonfeeding here

What this guide will cover:
    3. Building the kernel
    4. Flashing the kernel

What this guide will NOT cover:
    • Setting up a build environment (plenty of existing Linux installation guides)
    • Adding features to the kernel (plenty of git cherry-picking guides)

I know this has been done before but on a cursory search, I have not seen a guide that was recently updated at all.

If you have a custom kernel you want to build, move along after cloning the kernel using the git clone command below.

If you are compiling your stock kernel, it is ultimately up to you to know where to get your kernel source from but here are some common places:

Google: https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/msm/ (pick your architecture and look at the branches)
    LG: http://opensource.lge.com/index
    Samsung: http://opensource.samsung.com/reception.do
    HTC: https://www.htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads
    OnePlus: https://github.com/OnePlusOSS
    Motorola: https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC
    Sony: https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/kernel

To download the kernel, you can either use git clone or download the tarball and extract it:
    Code:
    git clone -b <branch_to_checkout> <url> <desired_folder_name>

OR

tar -xvf <filename>

For example, if I wanted to grab the latest Nexus 6P from Google above:
    Code:
    git clone -b android-msm-angler-3.10-nougat-mr2 https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/msm/ angler
    This will clone the kernel/msm repo into an angler folder and checkout the android-msm-angler-3.10-nougat-mr2 automatically.

I can try and help you locate your source if necessary.

Since most Android devices are ARM based, we need a compiler that is targeting ARM devices. A host (or native) compiler will not work unless you are compiling on another ARM device.

You can either compile one yourself if you know how (crosstool-NG is a great tool for this) or download a prebuilt one. Luckily Google provides a high quality toolchain for this, in both an arm (32-bit) and arm64 (64-bit). It's up to you to know the architecture of your device. Typically speaking, most devices in the past two-three years are 64-bit.

Another popular toolchain is UberTC, which can be found here: https://bitbucket.org/matthewdalex/. Most kernels will need patches for anything higher than 4.9 and while I don't mind assisting with finding them, you should compile with Google's toolchain first.

Once you have decided, clone the toolchain:
    Code:
    git clone <url>

3. Compile the kernel

1. Point the Makefile to your compiler (run this from within the toolchain folder!!)
    Code:
    export CROSS_COMPILE=$(pwd)/bin/<toolchain_prefix>-
    Example:
    Code:
    export CROSS_COMPILE=$(pwd)/bin/aarch64-linux-android-

NOTE #1: For kernels that can be compiled with Clang (like the Pixel 2), see this guide. I will support it here if there are any questions.

NOTE #2: Pixel and Pixel 2 users, you will need to follow these steps as well if compiling for Android Pie.

2. Tell the Makefile the architecture of the device
    Code:
    export ARCH=<arch> && export SUBARCH=<arch>
    Example:
    Code:
    export ARCH=arm64 && export SUBARCH=arm64

3. Locate your proper defconfig
    Navigate to the arch/<arch>/configs folder within the kernel source (e.g. arch/arm64/configs) and locate your device's or custom kernel developer's proper config file. For example, it will often be in the form of <codename>_defconfig or <kernel_name>_defconfig. Generic Qualcomm configs may be used as well (msm-perf_defconfig, msmcortex-perf_defconfig). When in doubt, ask here if you are confused. A defconfig tells the compiler what options to add to the kernel.

4. Build the kernel

Code:
    make clean
    make mrproper
    make <defconfig_name>
    make -j$(nproc --all)

If those commands succeed, you will have an Image, Image-dtb, Image.gz, or Image.gz-dtb file at the end.

If it failed, as was pointed out to me by @flar2 while making a complete idiot of myself, you may need to specify an output directory while making new CAF based kernels, like so:
    Code:
    mkdir -p out
    make O=out clean
    make O=out mrproper
    make O=out <defconfig_name>
    make O=out -j$(nproc --all)

If after that something is still broken, you may need to fix some headers or other issues. If it is a custom kernel, bring it up with your developer.
    If it's an OEM, it's up to you to try and fix it, which we can assist with.

4. Flash the kernel

Assuming you were able to compile the kernel successfully, you now need to flash it! I will be covering two different ways to flash a compiled kernel: unpacking and repacking the boot image by hand using Android Image Kitchen or AnyKernel2, both by the brilliant @osm0sis. If there are any per-device nuances, please let me know and I'll add them here! Additionally, this section can vary drastically by device, you may need to consult developers of your device for assistance if necessary.

Android Image Kitchen

1. Pull your device's boot image from the latest image available for your device (whether it be a ROM or stock)
    2. Download the latest Android Image Kitchen from this thread.
    3. Run the following with the boot image:
      Code:
      unpackimg.sh <image_name>.img
    4. Locate the zImage file and replace it with your kernel image (rename it to what came out of the boot image)
    5. Run the following to repack:
      Code:
      repackimg.sh
    6. Flash the new boot image with fastboot or TWRP!

AnyKernel2

1. Download the latest AnyKernel2 zip: https://github.com/osm0sis/AnyKernel2/archive/master.zip
    2. Apply this patch to clean out all of the demo files:
      Code:
      wget https://github.com/nathanchance/AnyKernel2/commit/addb6ea860aab14f0ef684f6956d17418f95f29a.diff
      patch -p1 < addb6ea860aab14f0ef684f6956d17418f95f29a.diff
      rm addb6ea860aab14f0ef684f6956d17418f95f29a.diff
    3. Place your kernel image in the root of the file.
    4. Open the anykernel.sh file and modify the following values:
      • kernel.string: your kernel name
      • device.name#: List all of your device's codenames (from the /system/build.prop: ro.product.device, ro.build.product)
      • block: Your boot image's path in your fstab. The fstab can be opened from the root of your device and it will look something like this:
        https://android.googlesource.com/device/huawei/angler/+/master/fstab.angler
        The first column is the value you want to set block to.
    5. After that, zip up the kernel and flash it!
      Code:
      zip -r9 kernel.zip * -x README.md kernel.zip

Tips and tricks

1. Remove GCC wrapper

A lot of kernels from CAF include a Python script that will essentially turn on -Werror, causing your build to error at the most benign stuff. This is necessary with higher GCC versions as there are a lot more warnings.

Here is the diff of what you need to change in the Makefile:
    Code:
    diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
    index 1aaa760f255f..bfccd5594630 100644
    --- a/Makefile
    +++ b/Makefile
    @@ -326,7 +326,7 @@ include $(srctree)/scripts/Kbuild.include

AS		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)as
     LD		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)ld
    -REAL_CC		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc
    +CC		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc
     CPP		= $(CC) -E
     AR		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)ar
     NM		= $(CROSS_COMPILE)nm
    @@ -340,10 +340,6 @@ DEPMOD		= /sbin/depmod
     PERL		= perl
     CHECK		= sparse

-# Use the wrapper for the compiler.  This wrapper scans for new
    -# warnings and causes the build to stop upon encountering them.
    -CC		= $(srctree)/scripts/gcc-wrapper.py $(REAL_CC)
    -
     CHECKFLAGS     := -D__linux__ -Dlinux -D__STDC__ -Dunix -D__unix__ \
     		  -Wbitwise -Wno-return-void $(CF)
     CFLAGS_MODULE   =

2. Using a higher level GCC toolchain

Using a higher GCC toolchain (5.x, 6.x, 7.x or even 8.x) will require you to nuke the GCC wrapper script as above and use a unified GCC header file (pick the following if you have an include/linux/compiler-gcc#.h file):

3.4/3.10: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...h?id=a4a4f1cd733fe5b345db4e8cc19bb8868d562a8a
    3.18: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...h?id=677fa15cd6d5b0843e7b9c58409f67d656b1ec2f

You may get a lot of warnings but they are not entirely necessary to fix.

3. Adding upstream Linux to kernel source

Once you have gotten familiar with git and the compilation process, you should consider upstreaming your kernel. This will allow you to stay on top of CVE and bug fixes by staying up to date with the latest work of the Linux kernel developers.

Receiving help

Compile Android Pie kernels for the Pixel (XL) and Pixel 2 (XL)

Google added a new compat vDSO on Android Pie for 32-bit userspace, which requires a 32-bit toolchain (commit). As a result, if CROSS_COMPILE_ARM32 is not set, your build will error.

After setting your main CROSS_COMPILE in step 1, clone this toolchain (or another compatible arm toolchain) next to the aarch64 one (if in the toolchain folder after running 'export CROSS_COMPILE', type 'cd ..'). Move into the 32-bit toolchain folder using cd then run
    Code:
    export CROSS_COMPILE_ARM32=$(pwd)/bin/<toolchain_prefix>
    Example:
    Code:
    export CROSS_COMPILE_ARM32=$(pwd)/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-

Then continue on with the rest of the steps.
    Introduction

On a scale of 1-10 how much Off-Topic is allowed ? :highfive::laugh::silly::eek:

Nice guide :good: :highfive: ..

@nathanchance thx for great work
    But how to build kernel with gcc 9.2.0
    could you please add manual for that

Unfortunately, my time nowadays is limited between my job, school, and more important open source projects.

However, compiling with GCC 9.2.0 is the same as compiling with GCC 4.9.4, you point the CROSS_COMPILE variable at the GCC 9.2.0 toolchain (or use PATH and update the CROSS_COMPILE prefix to match) and go from there. There are probably going to be new warnings that you will need to solve and there are potentially some other commits that you will need to pick to get a boot off.

If anyone else wants to pitch in and write something up, I'd be happy to add it to the OP.
    You're on fire with this kernel stuff:D

Sent from my LEX727 using XDA Labs