[ROOT] [MAGISK] (Without Recovery) Root your device with MAGISK Without Recovery

Did this guide worked for you?

• Yayy..! Thanks, I am rooted.?

Votes: 81 64.8%
  • Naahh..! You are useless.?

Votes: 44 35.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Aquib132

Apr 13, 2016
Gorakhpur
Hello Everyone,
This is my first tutorial here.
So, any mistakes should be reminded in the thread.

==================================================
Guide for rooting with MAGISK

This guide is for those devices for which currently there is no custom recovery available. So, don't be sad instead have MAGISK Root for your device and and sleep well.:angel:

Note - USE THIS GUIDE ON YOUR OWN. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU END UP BRICKING YOUR DEVICES.
BETTER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND ITS CONSEQUENCES.

REQUIREMENTS -
1 - An Android 5.0+ device
2 - PC with working ADB
3 - Stock boot image (boot.img) of your device
4 - Magisk Manager app
5 - A good file browser like Mixplorer, Solid explorer etc..
6 - Active Internet connection
7 - Active mind and patience.

Step 1: Patching the stock boot.img

- Install MagiskManager apk on your android device
- Copy the stock boot.img of your device to your phone's internal storage or SD card
- Launch Magisk Manager app
- If prompted to install Magisk, select NO THANKS
- If you are using a samsung device and wish to flash using Odin, then select Options > Settings > Update Settings > Patched Boot Output Format > img.tar )
- Select Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File >
Navigate to the location of the stock boot.img you copied earlier on, then Select it
-Magisk Manager should begin downloading the magisk zip file used for patching
-Once download is complete, MagiskManager will automatically patch the boot file and store it under SDcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img[.tar]

Step 2: Flashing the patched boot.img

You have a variety of options to flash the patched boot.img depending on your chipset (e.g Mediatek MTK, Spreadtrum SPD, Qualcomm QLM etc ), the resources you have and your skills. Note that some flashing methods might require you to rename the file to boot.img
- For those using MTK devices and have the specific scatter file for their device, you can flash the patched boot.img using SP flash tool or Miracle Box
-For those using SPD devices and have the PAC file for their device, you can flash the patched boot.img using Research download tool by replacing the stock boot.img with your patched boot.img
- For those using Samsung devices and then use ODIN to flash.
-You could also use Fastboot to flash the patched_boot.img or boot.img (if you've renamed then the command must reflect the file name) as outlined below

How to Flash patched_boot.img using Fastboot

-Setup adb and fastboot on your PC.
-Unlock the phone's Bootloader (if its not unlocked)
-Re-enable USB debugging on the phone
-Connect the phone to the PC via USB cord
-Boot into fastboot mode.
-Flash the patched_boot and reboot by typing in the commands below into adb CMD prompt window and hitting Enter after each line -

Code:
fastboot devices
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
fastboot reboot

-Verify root using Root Checker

Credits goes to topjohnwu of XDA for Magisk
Also to X3non of Hovatek for original guide.

Last edited:
Does the bootloader need to be unlocked still? I have a S6 Active (sm-g890a) that I would love to root with this method but I haven't wanted to try anything in fear of bricking. Sorry for the newb question but I'm a noob.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Labs

driverdis

Aug 11, 2010
Does the bootloader need to be unlocked still? I have a S6 Active (sm-g890a) that I would love to root with this method but I haven't wanted to try anything in fear of bricking. Sorry for the newb question but I'm a noob.

if the bootloader checks boot.img, it will fail since Magisk patches the boot.img and it will have an invalid signature.

This process is only useful for locked bootloaders that do not check boot.img or people who want stock or are stuck with stock recovery.

Aquib132

Apr 13, 2016
Gorakhpur

Hi, the best way is to flash a custom recovery beforehand. But if you can't find you can go for this method but bootloader must be UNLOCKED. And also if anything goes wrong even if the bootloader is UNLOCKED , the phone will only be soft brick not hard brick. But the best thing will be a custom recovery method.

Cjoman

Apr 18, 2018
If your device bootloader is UNLOCKED, then you are good to go. But you should look for a custom recovery for your device and flash magisk.zip . Try this method only if you can't find one. Although every method is risky, you should play safe.

Okay thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

Will this factory reset my phone?

hanymedic

Oct 22, 2012
does it work / may work with S9 plus G965U Qualcomm chipset?
as i didn't find any Oem unlock option in the developer menu.

Nov 15, 2017
A7 2017 (Android 8)

So i have an a7 2017 with android oreo or know as 8.0.0. So i want to flash the patched boot image with odin. How do i do that? Like i understand you need oem unlocked but where do you flash it specifically in odin?

Last edited:
Reactions: stevehb7note

emod0705

Oct 12, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Use ADB and the push command.. Be careful what you type.. This thing is a ***** to get the first time.. I wish you good luck

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

Remember one other thing.. Sammy can not use Fastboot.. It's not that it's bad.. But it just won't in most cases.. Try CROM first to unlock the bootloader

Last edited:
Reactions: SlewedThread444
Nov 15, 2017
Well i tried to root my phone before with cf auto root and with twrp and it said device verification has failed or something. Will it happen for this device?

Pcarioca

Jul 12, 2018
I'm having a question: does the new patched_boot.img file also contain my personal data? If not, then what's the best way to make a backup so that when I restore it my phone to be just like I didn't do anything to it(it should have all my apps, files,contacts, accounts etc untouched), but to be rooted? I have a Elephone a4 and I can't set up a custom recovery, that's why I want to follow this tutorial...

Nov 15, 2017
I'm having a question: does the new patched_boot.img file also contain my personal data? If not, then what's the best way to make a backup so that when I restore it my phone to be just like I didn't do anything to it(it should have all my apps, files,contacts, accounts etc untouched), but to be rooted? I have a Elephone a4 and I can't set up a custom recovery, that's why I want to follow this tutorial...

Go to smart switch and create a backup.

Mustachetic

Jan 17, 2014
Google Pixel 6
Easy peezy

Works as advertised. One thing i would add to the guide is copying the patch boot img to where the command prompt window is opened. If i was using my noodle, it would be an unspoken, but i forgot and had to reboot once more. This would've saved me about 30 seconds, but i won't complain. I am on the moto z2 force sprint may 1 update with an unlocked bootloader

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everyone,
    This is my first tutorial here.
    So, any mistakes should be reminded in the thread.

Guide for rooting with MAGISK

This guide is for those devices for which currently there is no custom recovery available. So, don't be sad instead have MAGISK Root for your device and and sleep well.:angel:

Note - USE THIS GUIDE ON YOUR OWN. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU END UP BRICKING YOUR DEVICES.
    BETTER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND ITS CONSEQUENCES.

REQUIREMENTS -
    1 - An Android 5.0+ device
    2 - PC with working ADB
    3 - Stock boot image (boot.img) of your device
    4 - Magisk Manager app
    5 - A good file browser like Mixplorer, Solid explorer etc..
    6 - Active Internet connection
    7 - Active mind and patience.

Step 1: Patching the stock boot.img

- Install MagiskManager apk on your android device
    - Copy the stock boot.img of your device to your phone's internal storage or SD card
    - Launch Magisk Manager app
    - If prompted to install Magisk, select NO THANKS
    - If you are using a samsung device and wish to flash using Odin, then select Options > Settings > Update Settings > Patched Boot Output Format > img.tar )
    - Select Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File >
    Navigate to the location of the stock boot.img you copied earlier on, then Select it
    -Magisk Manager should begin downloading the magisk zip file used for patching
    -Once download is complete, MagiskManager will automatically patch the boot file and store it under SDcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img[.tar]

Step 2: Flashing the patched boot.img

You have a variety of options to flash the patched boot.img depending on your chipset (e.g Mediatek MTK, Spreadtrum SPD, Qualcomm QLM etc ), the resources you have and your skills. Note that some flashing methods might require you to rename the file to boot.img
    - For those using MTK devices and have the specific scatter file for their device, you can flash the patched boot.img using SP flash tool or Miracle Box
    -For those using SPD devices and have the PAC file for their device, you can flash the patched boot.img using Research download tool by replacing the stock boot.img with your patched boot.img
    - For those using Samsung devices and then use ODIN to flash.
    -You could also use Fastboot to flash the patched_boot.img or boot.img (if you've renamed then the command must reflect the file name) as outlined below

How to Flash patched_boot.img using Fastboot

-Setup adb and fastboot on your PC.
    -Unlock the phone's Bootloader (if its not unlocked)
    -Re-enable USB debugging on the phone
    -Connect the phone to the PC via USB cord
    -Boot into fastboot mode.
    -Flash the patched_boot and reboot by typing in the commands below into adb CMD prompt window and hitting Enter after each line -

Code:
    fastboot devices
    fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    fastboot reboot

-Verify root using Root Checker

Credits goes to topjohnwu of XDA for Magisk
    Also to X3non of Hovatek for original guide.

Hi, the best way is to flash a custom recovery beforehand. But if you can't find you can go for this method but bootloader must be UNLOCKED. And also if anything goes wrong even if the bootloader is UNLOCKED , the phone will only be soft brick not hard brick. But the best thing will be a custom recovery method.
    I think this thing would be risky to do.
    Or what do you think?
    A7 2017 (Android 8)

So i have an a7 2017 with android oreo or know as 8.0.0. So i want to flash the patched boot image with odin. How do i do that? Like i understand you need oem unlocked but where do you flash it specifically in odin?
    Use ADB and the push command.. Be careful what you type.. This thing is a ***** to get the first time.. I wish you good luck

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

Remember one other thing.. Sammy can not use Fastboot.. It's not that it's bad.. But it just won't in most cases.. Try CROM first to unlock the bootloader