Thanks Meter: 4,447

By Lanchon, Senior Member on 13th April 2016, 06:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th July 2019, 01:59 PM |#231  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
i wont be able to look at this for about a week. but...

- look into i9100 config, there ull find everything explained. then base your config on a simpler config, such as i9300 i seem to remember?

- a heap is a set of movable partition (deemed movable by you) that are CONTIGUOUS on the disk surface, possibly separated among themselves only by unallocated space if at all. note that partition NUMBERS within a heap need not be ascending or contiguous, but usually are.

- partitions that cant be moved (bricking) or are dangerous to move or for which there are no good reasons to move must not be members of a heap.

- a device can have many heaps defined on it, but usually there is no need for more than one. each heap has unmovable start and end sectors on disk. heaps cannot share free space among themselves: each one is a separate world.

- each heap has start and end sectors defined, and the possibly unordered sequence of partition numbers that are its members, declared in disk surface order.

from your message here:

fota should be raw. it could be made ext4 to make it resizable, but given its little size, it is probably best left alone. the smallest size for an ext4 partition is 8MB, so youd save only 2MB for the complexity. so dont. raw means it can be moved but its content are an obscure blob that repit will never alter (including its size).

recovery should be raw if movable. given that the device will be in an semi bricked state if relocation of recovery is interrupted, recovery should actually not be part of a heap at all.

so it is best to leave recovery and fota alone and out of the heap. the only reason to make them part of the heap would be finding out that there is a lot of unused and unpartitioned space after fota in the disk surface. youd have to weight the danger in moving recovery against the benefit of the gained space. none of my published setups move recovery. for heap end, you typically define a sector number. but for this case, you could use repit's finding of physical disk end, which can vary from device to device according to the flash component the phone OEM was able to source at the time of manufacture.

so looks like your heap should be partitions 14 to 17, with hard-defined heap start and end sectors. or you can tell repit to start the heap after partition 13 and end it before partition 18, which i seem to remember is what i usually did for most devices.

persist should be raw (and thus keep). moreover: i remember i think i created a way for a partition to not be configurable. persist should be that: it should default to raw and users must not be able to change its type or content. it only participates in the heap to let the cache donate space to system and data (which requires moving persist).

the other 3 partitions should be relatively obvious. they should be configurable, with defaults to their factory filesystem types, unchanged sized, and kept content. its easy for someone who wants to get rid of the cache to add -cache=min++wipe or whatever it was, i dont really remember at the moment.

if you need further help, maybe its best if u PM me your whatsapp so i send u audio messages, as i cant really spend time typing these days
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lanchon Ad-Free
30th August 2019, 12:46 PM |#232  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanchon

if you need further help, maybe its best if u PM me your whatsapp so i send u audio messages, as i cant really spend time typing these days

thanks I appreciate it but I don't have whatsapp, it's not common in my country. I know xda isn't that great anymore but this is still where you are most visible (see the thanks you got for responding)

I have one question, I limited the heap to just 2 partitions, 14 and 15 (all I care about), but I don't know the code to define the end of 15 as the end of the heap

Code:
    # the disk area (as a sector range) to use for the heap partitions:
    heapStart=$(parOldEnd 13)       # one past the end of a specific partition
    heapEnd=$deviceHeapEnd          # one past the last usable sector of the device
"$deviceHeapEnd" on your other examples is always the end of the partition table, since the userdata is the last partition...how do I define the end of 15 or start of 16 as the end of the heap?
1st September 2019, 08:48 PM |#233  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
> I have ported this script to d2usc (which should also work for T999, i747, i535)

> My device is already on there in the request of the T999, we share partition tables.

sharing the partition table is not enough. i REALLY need the dump and other info as requested, including a link to the flashable rom that you are using.

too bad i could have ported the device right now but i don't have the info

EDIT: i'm still on the road, btw
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lanchon Ad-Free
1st September 2019, 09:41 PM |#234  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
@terracota,

i've seen your device has a 1.5GB system. why exactly do you want to increase that?

have you seen this post?
https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT/iss...ment-280895675
3rd September 2019, 12:13 PM |#235  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanchon

@terracota,

i've seen your device has a 1.5GB system. why exactly do you want to increase that?

have you seen this post?
https://github.com/Lanchon/REPIT/iss...ment-280895675

there are 2 reasons

first reason is there are apps that need to be run from /system, and at 50 MB/app there isn't enough space to launch all of them. there's only like 400 mb free space after the ROM. this includes the modern GAPPS which are much bigger than when this phone was new

second issue is certain features like screenshot will only default to internal storage, while other apps can be told to route to external SD card. this can't be changed. and makes it difficult to locate things which save to either /sdcard or /extscard

what I intend is to change the path of internal SD card to the external, so the internal SD card paths will dump on the higher capacity SD card, and the original internal will be added to the /system.

I will fill out the dump as you requested
7th September 2019, 11:41 PM |#236  
Thanks Meter: 727

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teracotta

I have one question, I limited the heap to just 2 partitions, 14 and 15 (all I care about), but I don't know the code to define the end of 15 as the end of the heap

"$deviceHeapEnd" on your other examples is always the end of the partition table, since the userdata is the last partition...how do I define the end of 15 or start of 16 as the end of the heap?

I am bias about system size vs. userdata.
System and cache should be as small as possible. Userdata as large as possible.

It's your choice though.

Assuming you ran the dump file.
Lanchon/REPIT DeviceDump GitHub - Link
If not, run it and save the output file.
Even if you do not request an official port, the output log will tell you everything you need to know to port it yourself.
or help restore if something goes wrong.

If heapStart=$(parOldEnd 13) The end of partition 13. So the end of partition 15 would be ...
Assuming you have everything else configured correctly.

Code:
# the set of contiguous partitions that form this heap, in order of ascending partition start address:
 heapPartitions="$(seq 14 15)"

# the disk area (as a sector range) to use for the heap partitions:
 heapStart=$(parOldEnd 13)
 heapEnd=$(parOldEnd 15)
If it was me, I would submit the dump logs for an official version.
From the bit of the partition table you shared a few posts back, that 800Meg cache partition is a waist of space.
Lanchon might be able to configure RePit to reduce cache and increase system or userdata.
It's been about a year since I looked into repit. I was using contiguous partitions and some free space in-between the partitions.
I only skimmed the parts about non-contiguous partitions.

Good luck.
Cheers.
7th November 2019, 06:34 PM |#237  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
@terracota,

a test build for you device is on github. sorry about the long delay.

thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lanchon Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)