FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOL][WIN] ROM Explorer - Browse Android ROM Files

27 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By rsap, Junior Member on 26th November 2018, 08:20 PM
View First Unread Post Reply Email Thread
ROM Explorer

From time to time I need to extract some files from various Android ROMs. So far I downloaded the ROM file and then started to search for further tools to extract files from the downloaded ROM. If all went well I ended up with an image I could open with ext4_unpacker to finally extract the files I needed. This whole procedure took a lot of time, involved tools from unknown sources and often simply didn't work. So I decided to create my own tool.

ROM Explorer can directly open the following files:
  • zip archives with img or new.dat entries
  • Samsung md5 archives
  • Sony ftf archives
  • Huawei update.app archives
  • img/ext4 image files
  • lz4 image files (used by Samsung)
  • sin fies (used by Sony)

In case you have a file which is not supported let me know. Maybe I find the time to add support. Or simply add it yourself - ROM Explorer is Open Source.

Usage

Download the installer and run it or build your own version with Visual Studio 2017.

Start the executable. You will see a window similar to ext4_unpacker. In the first line you select a file, in the second line you can choose an archive entry if the file is an archive file.

Loading a file or archive entry can take a significant amount of time and disk storage. ROM Explorer may need to create temporary files with several gigabytes. A fast flash disk helps a lot!

You can extract files or folders by dragging and dropping them to Windows Explorer.

Downloads

ROM Explorer 0.9
ROM Explorer 0.9.1

Thanks To

ROM Explorer would not exist without the distributed knowledge of this forum. Especially I want to thank worstenbrood, Androxyde, IgorEisberg for their work.

So I'm waiting for your comments - but be patient it may take some time for me to react
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rsap For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rsap Ad-Free

26th November 2018, 08:21 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
Reserved for whatever purpose...
27th November 2018, 02:33 AM |#3  
Recognized Developer
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 1,975

Donate to Me
More
Wew
Let me try and report you back
27th November 2018, 04:10 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 199

More
Thank you I will try this out. Thanks too for making it open source
27th November 2018, 12:11 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Not Running on Windows 7 x64
30th November 2018, 04:43 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samidos

Not Running on Windows 7 x64

0.9.1 should fix this. Be sure to first uninstall before installing 0.9.1.
9th March 2019, 11:59 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
After hours of google search and downloading countless apps that dont work I found this. This app is legit and works on windows 10 64bit. Thank you for your work.
18th April 2019, 03:01 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Your app is GREAT! Thanks for sharing it.

Edit: Answered my own question. Windows 10 tip "Run As Administrator" and dont drag files "to the desktop" but instead to an Explorer window.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)