This thread is best viewed in a browser!
Mobile apps may parse the XDA formatting not correctly and may screw things up.
[S]teadfasterX's [A]ll-in-one [L]G [T]ool
SALT is able to communicate with your device while in download mode and provides these features:
- device model
- firmware version (short)
- firmware version (full)
- country of firmware
- Secure device state
- Battery Level
Is able to:
- working completely without any LG dll (no more issues with replacing LGUP_xxxx.dll anymore!)
- backup your device (predefined modes: full & basic and since v3.20 even a custom mode)
- extract KDZ files
- display your partitions (including what each partition is like bootloader etc!)
- open a shell on the device*
- ERASE (HOLY SH*** this is DANGEROUS!) one or multiple partitions
- verify a taken backup (read all about this here)
In development (already working on LP firmware! NOT on MM or N! read the Note):
- Flashing a folder (e.g. from a previous backup)
- Flashing a KDZ
mAid (fka as FWUL) (recommended)
No requirements as SALT and everything needed is included there!
Highly recommended: booting mAid from USB stick to avoid any connection issues.
Ensure you use the latest mAid release and start SALT by opening the LG folder on the desktop.
Now just click the update button once SALT is started to ensure you have the latest and greatest SALT version!
I recommend mAid (fka FWUL) in general but SALT is made to be run on any Linux (if you can set it up).
Requirements to install before beginning:
yad, git, python3, python3-pyusb, python3-crypto, python-zstandard (python3), python-pip (python3) and pkexec/policykit
(instead of pkexec/polkit gksudo will work too but this has been removed from many distributions)
- On Arch: sudo pacman -Sy polkit git xterm python-pyusb python-crypto python-pip
and trizen -Sy yad python-zstandard (hint: you may need to install trizen first) - and you need to manually do this until it has been fixed upstream: workaround
and sudo pip3 install cryptography
- on Manjaro: sudo pacman -Sy polkit yad git xterm python-pyusb python-crypto trizen python-pip python-zstandard
and you need to manually do this until it has been fixed upstream: workaround
and sudo pip3 install cryptography
- on *buntu, Debian, Mint and on all derivates of those: sudo apt install policykit-1 yad git xterm python3 python3-usb python3-crypto python3-pip
and sudo pip3 install zstandard and sudo pip3 install cryptography
Windows users should use SALT in mAid which is highly recommended for many operations with Android devices. Also read & follow the above topic "mAid (fka FWUL) (recommended)".
Installation (not needed on mAid! Just open the LG folder and start SALT)
- open a terminal
git clone https://github.com/steadfasterX/SALT.git
- read the output and if required copy the SALT.desktop file manually to your Desktop.
- double click the SALT icon or while in a terminal start SALT with: sudo ~/SALT/salt
- When starting SALT the first time you will be prompted to install necessary backend tools.
Choose YES to install them!
Even when the downloads tab in this project will contain releases the most up-to-date code can be fetched via the above way only.
Nevertheless you can download the tar file from the Downloads tab but ensure that you're using the latest code by starting an update (Update button in SALT) afterwards.
Start the device in download mode and connect it to the PC.
Usually the download mode should be fully ready in 20 - 60 seconds after you see the cycling arrow screen.
But some devices needs up to >= 90 seconds until SALT can detect your device.
If you still get trouble connecting boot the device in download mode and let it connected that way while rebooting mAid (fka FWUL) or your personal Linux.
A current list of all known issues can be found at the bugtracker
Support / IRC Channel / TG Group
IRC means Internet Relay Chat and you will get best support there only.
Personally I'm only online there from Mondays to Fridays only but there are maybe others (maybe YOU too) who can help as well.
Choose how to get in:
- mAid (fka FWUL): just click the IRC hexchat icon on the desktop
- PC (HexChat and Pidgin are only 2 of them! This list is not complete!)
- Android (Yaaic, AndChat, HoloIRC, AndroIRC are only a few of them! This list is not complete!)
- Web (KiwiIRC-Web,Freenode-Webchat])
- When you have to choose a channel it is: #carbonfusion-user
- When you be asked for a server network choose: freenode
- It wouldn't hurt to read this as well when you are new to IRC: beginners guide (for a quick one read just: "Etiquette")
Simplified said: be polite, don't ask to ask, be patient(!), respect the timezones, help others.
Like mAid (fka FWUL) SALT has now a Telegram Group which is bridged with my above IRC channel as well.
Many ppl are feeling more comfortable with TG theses days and as I now have a bridge between I am ok with it...
Feel free to join
LGLAF+SALT Users TG Group
Credits (without them no SALT)
SALT is based on:
- YAD (yet another dialog) -> GUI
- the awesome LGLAF code and reverse engineering by Peter Wu & friends
-> general communication with the device like: flash, dump, getinfo, erase, list partitions, ...
- kdztools by Elliott Mitchell -> extracting KDZ files
- MANY enhancements by steadfasterX -> bring all together plus much more
SALT's own sources:
- @runningnak3d for his incredible reverse engineering skills which makes SALT better and better each day it's great to have you in the community !
- tuxuser for making LAF communication on Nougat possible and for his great support!
SALT - [S]teadfasterX's [A]ll-in-one [L]G [T]ool, Tool/Utility for the LG G4
Source Code: https://github.com/steadfasterX/salt
Current Stable Version: 3.22
Stable Release Date: 2020-03-09
Last Updated 2020-03-10