FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOL][LOCKED/UNLOCKED] SALT - The LG(up) revolution (begins)

4,685 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,954

By steadfasterX, Recognized Developer on 11th December 2017, 03:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th February 2019, 08:42 PM |#651  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoShow

Can I with SALT make a full backup of my device just like a TWRP backup

No. SALT goes much further then TWRP . In TWRP you will backup some(!) partitions but never all. In SALT you can backup every single partition which is the only full real true nandroid backup .

Quote:

and reflash the backup to unbrick my device (like it did when the LG G7 had gotten into a bootloop due to a crappy update)?

Depends. On unlocked devices you can do so easily on every android version and on every device.
For this you would.just bring up fastboot and flash your backup back.

On locked devices it requires a compatible download mode (usually that means Lollipop or MM) . The flashing part in SALT while in download mode for locked devices is still under heavy development and so is not shown up by default in SALT .

Quote:

In the OP it is mentioned that with SALT you can unlock the LG G4, but is it known whether you can use it to unlock the LG V40?

The unlock is only available for the g4 sorry.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ]

8th February 2019, 12:40 AM |#652  
Thanks Meter: 126

More
Hi @steadfasterX

I am trying SALT on my LG G6 H870 and have some positive starts but also some questions

I tried to use FWUL (persistent) - the 8GB version - on an SDCARD in my USB SDCARD reader formatting it with ETCHER but when I booted the PC from the SDCARD (as USB) I got an error saying

HTML Code:
Failed to load ldlinux.c32
I the tried booting as UEFI and it got a bit further but still no joy

I then burnt the forgetful ISO to a 4.7GB DVD and this booted OK. I had a problem with it saying error /dev/disk/by-label/FWUL but this seemed to disappear when I booted from DVD and I had removed my SDCARD.

Anyway I booted off the DVD and put my phone into DOWNLOAD mode. SALT recognised the phone as an H870 and I could get a partition list once I had gone into a terminal and entered your UFS text

HTML Code:
cd ~/programs/lglafng
git checkout ufs-test
In the main window I could "REBOOT your device" and the phone rebooted.

Once I went back into download mode and restarted SALT I tried to do the backup partitions and this is where I got stuck. Everytime I tried to backup a partition I got the error message

HTML Code:
ERROR:
Calculated target size is too small (0)!
Upload and share the debug log
I assume this is because I am running the forgetful DVD and there is no writeable disk space on the DVD. I have 3 hard disks on the PC, one of which had 65GB free and I managed to mount it after having to enter the password "linux" when I double clicked the disc in the File Manager app.

I am not sure how to tell SALT that I want my data backed up to a folder on that drive.

I guess on the persistent USB version the USB is writeable to store the partition backups.

I have linked my SALT debug log here https://bpaste.net/show/14dd48bf33f5

What is my next move?

Darren
The Following User Says Thank You to DarrenNewsgroup For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DarrenNewsgroup Ad-Free
8th February 2019, 06:07 AM |#653  
Flag Shenzen, China
Thanks Meter: 397

More
hi will the LG G7thinQ be in the list of supported models.
thanks
8th February 2019, 06:45 PM |#654  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
LG G4 bootloop
So I tried Salt with virtual box, I tried with natively, booting my PC with it, I tried various USB cables and ports, but no matter what I do I can never get past the 2 gigabytes of my userdata partition backing up before it hangs. Sometimes it hangs even before that. I also tried some of those extract partitions.py scripts and it hung just after a few dozens of files. Worst of all, Salt refuses to mount the unfinished .img file so I can't even get the little data I manage to pull out of it. The file recovery utility bundled with FWUL only extracts around 500mb of data from that 2gb image. The other .py scripts in the LG folder I tried complain about some inconsistent indentation somewhere.
I don't think it's caused by the phone heating beyond the cryogenic temperature it only works at now, since it doesn't reboot after Salt hangs, however Salt doesn't recognize it when I launch it again. After a while it reports "backup success" and only then it starts recognizing it again.

My questions are as follows:
1) How to get past the 2gb limit and recover my data properly?
2) If not possible, how to mount at least the 2gb I got?
3) Why isn't it possible to view the partition filesystem itself so the user would be able to only download the files they need instead of wasting time downloading entire partition that might never succeed? Somewhere in those .py scripts I saw a mention of "download a particular file from the phone" so it should be possible. I'd rather just download all *.jpg files to get my photos back, for example.
8th February 2019, 08:40 PM |#655  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenNewsgroup

...... I managed to mount it after having to enter the password "linux" when I double clicked the disc in the File Manager app.

I am not sure how to tell SALT that I want my data backed up to a folder on that drive.

I guess on the persistent USB version the USB is writeable to store the partition backups.

I have linked my SALT debug log here https://bpaste.net/show/14dd48bf33f5

What is my next move?

Darren

Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Well sdcard isn't tested and as you saw it may not work properly.. Sorry for that but USB is the only true way to go.
Well that error means I need a live debug. There is nothing you could do else atm .
You can use dvd ofc and its fine when you mount your windows disk. It will not help now but for later after fixing the current issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengfei

thanks

Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedmanc

My questions are as follows:
1) How to get past the 2gb limit and recover my data properly?
2) If not possible, how to mount at least the 2gb I got?
3) Why isn't it possible to view the partition filesystem itself so the user would be able to only download the files they need instead of wasting time downloading entire partition that might never succeed? Somewhere in those .py scripts I saw a mention of "download a particular file from the phone" so it should be possible. I'd rather just download all *.jpg files to get my photos back, for example.

There is no such xx GB limit in SALT . It VERY likely means your target storage do not have enough free disk space.
Usually you need to mount your windows disk and point the backup target there.

It's normal that in download mode a command must run until it finishes even when it locally failed. There are only 2 ways to abort that. Either force a reboot to download mode or wait..

You need the full partition to mount it properly (well without doing Linux stuff).
You could try the qphotorec Tool on that incomplete file though .

Keep in mind that the userdata partition must be UNENCRYPTED otherwise you would just backup a bunch of unreadable data.

Yes in theory it is possible to implement such a file browser but it isn't there atm. Why? Nobody asked for that . If you want that feature feel free to add a feature request on my bug tracker.

The Following User Says Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th February 2019, 09:49 PM |#656  
Thanks Meter: 1,682

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengfei

thanks

+1

err on the side of kindness
8th February 2019, 11:04 PM |#657  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I heard that I should flash something before the Dec 2017 security patch. I can't find any KDZ files unfortunately and was hoping someone here would have a server I could pull it from.
9th February 2019, 09:34 PM |#658  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfasterX

No. SALT goes much further then TWRP . In TWRP you will backup some(!) partitions but never all. In SALT you can backup every single partition which is the only full real true nandroid backup .

Depends. On unlocked devices you can do so easily on every android version and on every device.
For this you would.just bring up fastboot and flash your backup back.

On locked devices it requires a compatible download mode (usually that means Lollipop or MM) . The flashing part in SALT while in download mode for locked devices is still under heavy development and so is not shown up by default in SALT .

Well I'm very thrilled by the existence of SALT, so thank you for answering. So it looks like that SALT is the tool that allows to recover from data wipe after unlocking. I dread unlocking an already in-use device, as backing up stuff & restoring from within Android is limited, time consuming and overall just annoying to deal with.

Lastly:
Is SALT only compatible with LG devices? Or does the list on point 7 in the FAQ literally mean that only those devices are supported, and any device that is omitted from the list will not work with SALT?
Can you choose which partitions you'd want to restore with SALT?
Is there a place where you can track the progress on V40 support being added to SALT?
10th February 2019, 12:02 AM |#659  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

It VERY likely means your target storage do not have enough free disk space.

I certainly don't have a free space limit, I have plenty (50gb), besides Salt wouldn't even let me start the backup if I didn't have enough. 2.2gb is just the most I was able to get, sometimes it fails at 1.5 or even 300mb. I think I saw a user earlier in this thread having a similar issue with their system partition.
It is very strange that nobody asked for a file browser feature, no way only my phone is dead to the point of the partition image being unrecoverable. Besides, downloading by a filemask would reduce the free space requirements and the time needed, and time is of essence when the phone only works after being put in a freezer and quickly heats up to the room temperature and stops working.
I managed to mount the incomplete image using some Windows software so I had a little more luck recovering the files from it now.
10th February 2019, 10:24 AM |#660  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well I'm very thrilled by the existence of SALT, so thank you for answering. So it looks like that SALT is the tool that allows to recover from data wipe after unlocking. I dread unlocking an already in-use device, as backing up stuff & restoring from within Android is limited, time consuming and overall just annoying to deal with.

Yes at least when the device was not encrypted then for sure. It may even work when encrypted as long as the encryption footer / metadata partition will be restored too.

Quote:

Lastly:
Is SALT only compatible with LG devices?

Yes. SALT is made for LG only. The way SALT operates depends on the LG download mode and so can't be adapted to other devices easily.

Quote:

Or does the list on point 7 in the FAQ literally mean that only those devices are supported, and any device that is omitted from the list will not work with SALT?

That list lists confirmed devices only . In theory ANY LG device will work. Newer devices need a workaround which is mentioned there as well until I had the time to implement the auto detect for UFS devices .

Quote:

Can you choose which partitions you'd want to restore with SALT?

Of course. Currently flashing supports 2 modes:
Kdz flash
Folder flash (e.g from a folder which contains a previously taken backup)

Both will let you choose the partitions to flash and even more you can change even the destination partition on the folder flash mode. E.g. You could flash TWRP in the boot or laf partition etc.

Quote:

Is there a place where you can track the progress on V40 support being added to SALT?

Sure:
https://github.com/steadfasterX/SALT/issues/29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedmanc

I certainly don't have a free space limit, I have plenty (50gb), besides Salt wouldn't even let me start the backup if I didn't have enough. 2.2gb is just the most I was able to get, sometimes it fails at 1.5 or even 300mb. I think I saw a user earlier in this thread having a similar issue with their system partition.

Without the debug log (see faq) I can't say why that happens to you sorry.

10th February 2019, 03:57 PM |#661  
Thanks Meter: 126

More
Quote:

Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Well sdcard isn't tested and as you saw it may not work properly.. Sorry for that but USB is the only true way to go.
Well that error means I need a live debug. There is nothing you could do else atm .
You can use dvd ofc and its fine when you mount your windows disk. It will not help now but for later after fixing the current issue.

......snipped.....

I realised that I have a Sony USB microSD card converter(?) that presents itself as a USB disk. I managed to install persistent 30GB on the SDCard using Etcher and my standard SD card reader (that didn't work as a USB disk). Interestingly Etcher failed many times to install FWUL in the Sony USB converter but it worked fine on my SD card reader. I then transferred the micro-SD card to the Sony USB converter and managed to boot that from the BIOS as a USB disk no problems at all. So that's one bit of progress.

I updated SALT and entered the UFS commands into a terminal and tried SALT again. I didn't have much time to test as we need the Windows PC back but I am not sure if SALT failed to recognise the phone on a USB3 port but I know that it recognised it on a USB2 port. I managed to get a partition list but still got the same ERROR as before with "(0)" in it. That is even though the USB disk is supposed to have 28GB free (it was a 32GB microSD card).

I've attached the log file for this test in case it gives you more clues. https://bpaste.net/show/4ea5d13ed471

Darren
The Following User Says Thank You to DarrenNewsgroup For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DarrenNewsgroup Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
backup, kdz, lglaf, lgup, restore

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)