Androidx86 & Forks for UEFI Windows based tablets (custom kernels)

Search This thread

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Androidx86 & Forks using custom kernels
for UEFI Windows tablets
Android 6.0 Marshmallow [Stock Download] [Source]
Android 4.4.4 KitKat [As above]
RemixOS 2.0 (Android 5.1.1) [Stock Download] [Source]
PheonixOS 1.0.3 (Android 5.1.1) [Stock Download]

Custom Kernels Included

Cube i7_Stylus

kernel device_tree
Android 6.0 MM -- post @Wootever
Android 4.4.4 KK -- post [Additional Files] @Wootever
RemixOS 2.0 -- post @asplash
PhoenixOS 1.0.3 -- post
Kernels -- located here

Hacks-Scripts-Tools
Hacks and workarounds that can be used to overcome reported issues. These will be primarily bash scripts; hopefully these can be included in the source code in some way if useful/needed.
Scripts
General scripts - use an app to launch them at boot; or make use of /etc/init.sh
Sleep mode [effectiveness will depend on what sleep modes your device/kernel has access to (`dmesg | grep ACPI`); and will need to be modified if your screen brightness is reported elsewhere]
Code:
watch -n 60 '[ "`cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`" = "0" ] && echo "mem" > /sys/power/state' &
Which watches the brightness level every minute and if it's zero then puts the device into S3 sleep.

This can be modified in cases where specific modules don't comeback after sleep like the following for a rotation sensor
Code:
watch -n 60 '[ "`cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`" = "0" ] && setprop ro.sleep 1 && echo "mem" > /sys/power/state' &
watch -n 60 '[ "`getprop ro.sleep`" = "1" ] && [ "`cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`" != "0" ] && setprop ro.sleep 0 && am force-stop com.android.launcher3 && rmmod kxcjk_1013 && modprobe kxcjk_1013' &
Which restarts the kxcjk_1013 module and restarts the launcher on wakeup

Build.prop edits
RemixOS
ro.remixos.box=true
changing this value to false opens up more options in settings/taskbar and is preferable on tablets
ro.remixos.no_wallpaper=true
changing this to false will let you have a wallpaper if you turn of the file based launcher in settings​
RMXTool by @imadlatch is a great tool for resizing data/system.img and having a poke through the system.img while in Windows
Proposition

It should be trivial to modify the ramdisk of Androidx86 ROMS to bind mount an additional .img to host the device specific modules/firmware for trying out new generic ROM releases - obviously full ROM build are preferrably but not always available.
Will need to have a look into the module packing that the build does in order to pack correctly when just compiling a kernel & modules.​

XDA:DevDB Information
Androidx86 & Forks, ROM for the Android General

Contributors
HypoTurtle
ROM OS Version: KitKat; RemixOS/PhoenixOS (Lollipop); Marshmallow

Version Information

Created 2016-02-12
Last Updated 2016-02-12

Last edited:

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Reserved

INSTALLATION
There are numerous ways these can be installed and there are numerous post reporting different methods, so please don't repeat posts detailing the same issue.
I will list tried and tested installation methods (using Grub2) and a quick rundown of what makes upa grub.cfg file​

Last edited:
Reactions: KamaL

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Reserved

FAQ
If you have a question that hasn't been answered so far - have a look here first before posting​

Last edited:

KamaL

Oct 2, 2006
500px.com
Thanks @HypoTurtle for making a separate thread for Android releases on the Cube i7 Stylus device! The original thread became quite messy, and it is important to have a dedicated one for Android.

First of all, I think we should really thank the great developers in this forum, @Wootever @asplash @HypoTurtle and all other members and testers for their contribution in preparing a good android image for this tablet.

I've been testing all Android releases in the main thread, and the most stable and usable one was Wootever's 4.4 release.

All other Lollipop (RemixOS and Pheonix OS) and Marshmallow releases seem to suffer from a few major problems:
1) lack of efficient stand by / sleep mode
2) high battery drain
3) no video codecs supporting hardware acceleration

I wonder if this is the case with other x86 based laptops/tablets , and whether the x86-android team are working on fixing these essential features.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Reactions: ariadnejro

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011

Stock RemixOS Beta, runs with a reported 4.4.2 kernel with as expected wifi not working, switching to the 4.4.0 kernel/modules/firmware we are currently using will work, but I'd rather wait until when/if the kernel source is released.

EDIT. Cube i7 Stylus kernel + modules attached. These are taken from RemixOS Alpha - so it's the kernel @asplash compiled. You need a rooted system.img or unpack/repack system.img within Windows/Linux. Just copy files over / and run the sh while running to set permissions. Then switch the kernel.

Too big to attach so available here

Last edited:

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Just a couple of screenshots, it's seems very few people have figured out how to get rotation to work, and I'm sure even fewer have found how to enable apps like Twilight, Lux or Tincore Keymapper...
I'll post procedure in a bit just making sure it doesn't irreversibly mess with anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-04-17-41-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-04-17-41-48.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 666
  • Screenshot_2016-03-04-17-43-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-04-17-43-01.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 716
  • Screenshot_2016-03-05-00-24-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-05-00-24-45.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 676
  • Screenshot_2016-03-05-00-52-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-05-00-52-44.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 625
  • Screenshot_2016-03-05-00-53-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-05-00-53-06.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
Reactions: KamaL and esjay

KamaL

Oct 2, 2006
500px.com
Stock RemixOS Beta, runs with a reported 4.4.2 kernel with as expected wifi not working, switching to the 4.4.0 kernel/modules/firmware we are currently using will work, but I'd rather wait until when/if the kernel source is released.

EDIT. Cube i7 Stylus kernel + modules attached. These are taken from RemixOS Alpha - so it's the kernel @asplash compiled. You need a rooted system.img or unpack/repack system.img within Windows/Linux. Just copy files over / and run the sh while running to set permissions. Then switch the kernel.

Too big to attach so available here

Thanks.
Can you explain step by step how to do it?
Also, any improvements over the previous builds in terms of battery consumption and sleep mode?

Thanks

leo06

Dec 28, 2008
Patras
<MOD EDIT - Non-English Quote Removed.>
Bluetooth not working (same with remix os) for me and I expand data.img with RMXtools but still in android I see 3gb,is there other way to expand?and i can see only 2678MB of ram

Last edited by a moderator:

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Thanks.
Can you explain step by step how to do it?
Also, any improvements over the previous builds in terms of battery consumption and sleep mode?

Thanks

Download it and have a look it should be fairly clear simpilest way is to copy to somewhere you can mount in android (usb, sdcard etc.), then with root file browser copy over, then replace the kernel.
Alternatively use something like RMXTools to open the system.img, copy the files over then repack system, boot, fix module permissions, then switch kernel.

Jide have just released their 4.4.y sources, so going to compile (at least the wifi driver) asap unless @asplash is already setup for a compile. There is a benefit with it at least with exfat (my exfat partitioned sdcard auto mounts with 4.4.2 but not with 4.4.0).

ariadnejro

Apr 3, 2008
Xiaomi Poco F3
@asplash

Thank you for your great work on Android for the Cube.

About your latest CM13 ROM:

-Deep sleep seems to work (at last). After coming back from sleep brightness goes up and the device remains unresponsive for a while but after pressing the Windows button everything comes back to normal.

-My 128 GB NTFS formatted MicroSD card can be read from settings and from a file explorer using /mnt/media_rw, but it isn't easily accessible from many apps.

-Battery level isn't read properly, it shows 100% all the time.

-Built-in root doesn't remember a previously granted access, installing SuperSU solves the problem.

-The app GMD Gesture Control (a must have for me) doesn't recognize the touchscreen device. It worked on your Lollipop ROM.

-Only 3 Gb of RAM seem to be accessible, your Lollipop ROM aparently could see the full 4 GB.

-The device doesn't boot with the 8 Gb data.img, it gets stuck on the boot animation.

Speaking about your Lollipop ROM, it's been my Android choice for more than a month. Since its only drawback was the inability to enter deep sleep it would be lovely if you could post a new Lollipop ROM with that issue solved.

Last edited:

leo06

Dec 28, 2008
Patras
@asplash

Thank you for your great work on Android for the Cube.

About your latest CM13 ROM:

-Deep sleep seems to work (at last). After coming back from sleep brightness goes up and the device remains unresponsive for a while but after pressing the Windows button everything comes back to normal.

-My 128 GB NTFS formatted MicroSD card can be read from settings and from a file explorer using /mnt/media_rw, but it isn't easily accessible from many apps.

-Battery level isn't read properly, it shows 100% all the time.

-Built-in root doesn't remember a previously granted access, installing SuperSU solves the problem.

-The app GMD Gesture Control (a must have for me) doesn't recognize the touchscreen device. It worked on your Lollipop ROM.

-Only 3 Gb of RAM seem to be accessible, your Lollipop ROM aparently could see the full 4 GB.

-The device doesn't boot with the 8 Gb data.img, it gets stuck on the boot animation.

Speaking about your Lollipop ROM, it's been my Android choice for more than a month. Since its only drawback was the inability to enter deep sleep it would be lovely if you could post a new Lollipop ROM with that issue solved.

For the battery it happens the same to me but after reboot is OK, drops by 4,5,8% and not by 1%,i mean now is 55% and after some time it shows 50%,for 3gb of ram self-test my previous post, it's 32bit Version of Android so only see 3gb,for data.img I use wootever 6gb data.img and it works

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Androidx86 & Forks using custom kernels
    for UEFI Windows tablets
    Android 6.0 Marshmallow [Stock Download] [Source]
    Android 4.4.4 KitKat [As above]
    RemixOS 2.0 (Android 5.1.1) [Stock Download] [Source]
    PheonixOS 1.0.3 (Android 5.1.1) [Stock Download]

Custom Kernels Included

Cube i7_Stylus

kernel device_tree
    Android 6.0 MM -- post @Wootever
    Android 4.4.4 KK -- post [Additional Files] @Wootever
    RemixOS 2.0 -- post @asplash
    PhoenixOS 1.0.3 -- post
    Kernels -- located here

Hacks-Scripts-Tools
    Hacks and workarounds that can be used to overcome reported issues. These will be primarily bash scripts; hopefully these can be included in the source code in some way if useful/needed.
    Scripts
    General scripts - use an app to launch them at boot; or make use of /etc/init.sh
    Sleep mode [effectiveness will depend on what sleep modes your device/kernel has access to (`dmesg | grep ACPI`); and will need to be modified if your screen brightness is reported elsewhere]
    Code:
    watch -n 60 '[ "`cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`" = "0" ] && echo "mem" > /sys/power/state' &
    Which watches the brightness level every minute and if it's zero then puts the device into S3 sleep.

This can be modified in cases where specific modules don't comeback after sleep like the following for a rotation sensor
    Code:
    watch -n 60 '[ "`cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`" = "0" ] && setprop ro.sleep 1 && echo "mem" > /sys/power/state' &
    watch -n 60 '[ "`getprop ro.sleep`" = "1" ] && [ "`cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/actual_brightness`" != "0" ] && setprop ro.sleep 0 && am force-stop com.android.launcher3 && rmmod kxcjk_1013 && modprobe kxcjk_1013' &
    Which restarts the kxcjk_1013 module and restarts the launcher on wakeup

Build.prop edits
    RemixOS
    ro.remixos.box=true
    changing this value to false opens up more options in settings/taskbar and is preferable on tablets
    ro.remixos.no_wallpaper=true
    changing this to false will let you have a wallpaper if you turn of the file based launcher in settings​
    RMXTool by @imadlatch is a great tool for resizing data/system.img and having a poke through the system.img while in Windows
    Proposition

It should be trivial to modify the ramdisk of Androidx86 ROMS to bind mount an additional .img to host the device specific modules/firmware for trying out new generic ROM releases - obviously full ROM build are preferrably but not always available.
    Will need to have a look into the module packing that the build does in order to pack correctly when just compiling a kernel & modules.​

XDA:DevDB Information
    Androidx86 & Forks, ROM for the Android General

Contributors
    HypoTurtle
    ROM OS Version: KitKat; RemixOS/PhoenixOS (Lollipop); Marshmallow

Version Information

Created 2016-02-12
    Last Updated 2016-02-12
    Remix OS is getting updated quite frequently, now it's version 2.0.202, release today 12/4/2016 @HypoTurtle
    Anything new about it? Any plans for preparing a new custom image with root drivers for the i7 stylus??

If your referring to this version. Then I'd say it's probably just the same as the latest OTA version 2.0.202 dated 20160405 -- that's the current custom version here with an additional 3mb OTA -- not sure what it changed though --- I'm not going to download just to check that though.

My update procedure if interested is, from stock ROM that needs to be updated.
    1. Copy su.img to /data/su.img (using ALT&F1) --- only needs to be done once
    2. Replace initrd.img and ramdisk.img with ones to give root and system rw
    3. Copy 4.4.2-i7 kernel modules to /lib/modules/ and fix permissions (folders 755, files 644)
    4. Switch kernels
    5. Download OTA
    6. Replace system.img, ramdisk.img, initrd.img and kernel with stock then boot
    7. After OTA applies backup a copy of the above four files for future OTA
    8. Repeat #2, #3, #4
    9. Replace sensors.iio.so files and add touchscreen fix to init.sh (rmmod i2c_hid && modprobe i2c_hid)

Current OTA kernel is 4.4.6; but the source for this I don't think has been released so for now it's 4.4.2; unless someone else can find and compile one. I wouldn't mind trying out compiling with the Bash for Windows feature just released if anyone comes across the source.

EDITAs of version 2.0.205 - kernel has 8723bu (wifi) module included and mounts harddrive partitions by default
    So ramdisk.img together with su.img; should be all that is needed to keep system.img as ro and OTA compatible. Making it a one file (ramdisk.img) switch between root and OTA.

I've had a bit of trouble uploading version 205 stock files; so may need to wait for jide to update the stock installer to 205.
    I'll post the su.img and ramdisk.img for the i7 stylus here; and post a more generic setup elsewhere.

Any devs here @asplash / @Wootever -- I guess one of the things we need to fix is the thermal sensors; trip_points are setup correctly I think but reported temp is always 59oC; currently I'm just turning off turbo manually (keeping cpu at 800Hz); having a temp value to trip turbo off might be better.
    RemixOS Beta2 (1503 OTA applied) available here
    It's stock with a custom 4.4.2 kernel; 8723bu added, iio fixed and touchscreen 'fix' added to init.sh

Stock kernel is 4.4.5, and will need to wait for Jide to publish this branch before updating custom kernel.
    I have the 4.4.y kernel building and booting; but the modules don't appear to be being picked up, will try again tomorrow. @asplash anything special needed to compile properly? I'm not running a full build, just the kernel (don't have the time/space for a full ROM build), is there a specific gcc needed (I figured not so am just using latest gcc on ubuntu) or something...

It's probably something to do with the modules.* files, I'll try a compile tomorrow with hid as internal kernel module, so I can at least 'use' it...

Edit. 4.4.2 kernel can be found here - specifically for cube i7 stylus; but might be of some use to devices using/needing rtl8723bu module - also added to #1
    can I keep data.img from previous beta?

I have, and that's how the intended OTA is supposed to work.
    If need be; clearing the data of system apps would more than suffice.

One thing I was waiting for with the OTA was a look at if there was anything non standard in it; and there appears not be.
    The ota makes use of a x86update elf binary from within the initrd.img; which appears to be the (hopefully not too trimmed down) innerds of a recovery; will check tomorrow if the mechanic can be used simply as a way tk install update.zip's like SuperSU == that's one of the reasons the Beta2 I uploaded wasn't system rooted (stock ALT&F1 is a root shell and I've modified it so it has rw access to /system)