In the second post, I'll add more ressources related to this device.
So, here's the new version of my Tools App for the Xiaomi UST Projector (01 aka Chinese, 02 aka International, as well as Wemax, which is based on 01 model). Please note that it's only been fully tested on my projector model (chinese). Due to the changes on the international version (native Android TV 8.1), probably many things won't work or will be unuseful... On the other hand, it'll probably work fine on other Xiaomi TVs and Mi Boxes. Anyway, it's mostly useful for chinese GUI (GITV) on Android Tv 6.0.1. Here are the current features :
Change Source :
- Shortcuts to change source to HDMI 1 to 3, AV, as well as opening an onscreen menu to choose the source. These will be useful if you change the launcher, as you will lose to Xiaomi widget with Tv preview and change source buttons. Shortcuts are also directly placed on the launcher as well, for direct access.
- Freeze stock apps [ROOT] : freezes/hides/disables stock apps/bloatware (for unrooted devices, please check below, in Remarks section, point 3). Make sure you install another keyboard (ie "LeanbackIme Keyboard", from the "Install 3rd party apps" menu) as it will disable the stock one.
- (Un)Freeze stock launcher [ROOT] : (un)freezes/hides stock Xiaomi TvHome launcher. Make sure you have another compatible launcher installed before freezing it (for unrooted devices, please check below)
- (Un)Freeze google Leanback launcher [ROOT] : (un)freezes/hides stock Google Leanback launcher if installed. Make sure you have another compatible launcher installed before freezing it (for unrooted devices, please check below)
- Install 3rd party apps : lets you choose apps to install, that have been tested working fine on our device. Most will require Aptoide Tv installed. Good news, it's able to download and install it automatically ! If you have been a good boy/girl this year (and if your device is rooted), Google services/apps can be installed too (see more in the Google Apps section)
- Uninstall Google Apps : if you installed Google Apps / services with the feature described above, you can safely uninstall them (but why would you want that ?)
- Projector settings : launches the projector/tv/box settings
- Android settings : launches the Android stock settings
- Engineering menu : launches the engineering menu
- Media explorer : launches the Xiaomi Media Explorer/Player
- More Locale : launches More Locale (if installed) : this will allow you to change your language to something else than english/chinese
- Magisk Manager : launches Magisk Manager (if installed)
- Root device : checks your device's root status
- Custom Props Override [ROOT/MAGISK] : changes some custom props so as to get a more stock Android Tv behavior. This will enable Google services disabled by Xiaomi, allow your "Usb debugging" option to stick across reboots, allow passing safetynet...
- Google Apps fix [auto] [ROOT] : Xiaomi code prevents Google Play app to install/update apps (you will get an error code). The fix to this behavior has major inconvenients : when activated, you lose some UI features (volume UI, recent apps screen, Shutdown dialog). Enabling the accessibility service called "Google Apps fix", will automatically enable the fix when entering the Google Play app, and disable it when exiting. So keep in mind that when you want to install/update apps, you'll need to stay in Google Play and can't let it do it's job in the background while watching TV. This accessibility fix also bind the stock remote control "Voice recognition" button to Google Assistant.
- Google Play fix [manual] [ROOT] : This feature allows you to manually enable/disable the fix described above. You shouldn't need it.
Google Apps / Services instructions :
This has been tested successfully on a clean 1218 firmware installation. If something goes wrong for you, try to make a clean flash.
Except for "AndroidMediaShell" (Google Cast server), most (all?) features are working fine including :
- Tv settings
- Google Play (to let it install/update apps, please use the "Google Apps fix [auto]" feature)
- ATV remote service : if you install Google ATV remote on your smartphone, everything (including speech recognition) will work
- Google Assistant : with the "Google Apps fix [auto]" feature enabled, a short press on the mic button on your stock remote will launch Google Assistant. Then, when it's listening, press and hold the mic button while speaking and release it when done. According you've used More Locale to change to your mother tongue, this will even work in your language.
- install the MiProjA1-Tools 2.14 (or above) and launch it
- execute Applications / install 3rd party apps, then install :
- Aptoide Tv Store
- ATV launcher (you'll disable stock launcher later on. In case Google Apps don't install correctly, you'll have a fallback launcher)
- Youtube [optional]
- MoreLocale [optional] (in case your mother tongue is not english, it will let you choose more than what's listed in Android settings)
- Google Apps/services (don't forget it )
- execute Applications / Freeze Stock launcher (to disable TvHome)
- execute Applications / Freeze Stock apps (to disable most Xiaomi apps and services)
- execute System / Custom Props override (to pass safetynet checks and enable more stock behavior)
- execute System / Google Apps Fix, enable the service "Google Apps Fix" in accessibility settings (to fix "Google Play" ability to install/update apps and to link the stock remote control "Voice recognition" button to Google Assistant)
- [Optional] Install magisk module "Nexus Media" to change the stock bootanimation (go to Shortcuts / Magisk Manager to execute it, and then in the left menu, "Downloads" section, just install "Nexus Media")
- Reboot and complete the Welcome app to setup your Google account (first and second boot will be longer than usual)
- Note that an accessibility setting might get enabled after the first reboot when Google Apps have been installed. It'll cause green borders around buttons. Just go to settings / accessibility and disable "talkback".
- Launch Google Play to update Google apps and let the update finish before exiting Google Play (if the "Google Apps Fix" accessibility service is running as it should, it will display a message when launching/exiting Google Play)
- [Optional] start MoreLocale to change your language
- Enjoy your Google Tv device !
- Using any of the above features (even [ROOT] ones) should be safe and shouldn't prevent you from installing stock OTA updates afterwards (no system file is modified). If anything goes wrong, don't hesitate to tell me, but anyways, at worst, flashing the full stock ROM will fix any issue, so there isn't any risk of bricking your device.
- Replacing the launcher will require another compatible one installed. Leanback launcher runs fine and gives you Google Tv stock experience (if you can install Google services/apps). Else, I like ATV launcher (current version 0.11. The only minor issue is that it won't display the shortcuts to HDMI1/3 on the launcher, you'll have to go in the Tools app. The dev will fix it in upcoming release). HALauncher works fine too. Whichever launcher you want to use, please make sure it launches fine before freezing the stock one. I'd recommend installing ATV 0.11, even if you don't intend use it, just as a failover in case the launcher you want to use doesn't work once the stock one has been replaced. Except if you have stock launcher or leanback launcher installed (which will force you to use them if installed), if multiple other compatible launchers are installed, a popup will ask your choice at each boot and home button press.
- Concerning the (un)freeze apps/launcher, if your device is not rooted, this app currently can't do it automatically (I'm still trying to find a workaround), but you can do it manually by connecting a computer to your device with ADB and executing a few command lines :
- Download adb for your OS (check here)
- Start command line (terminal)
- type "adb connect IP_OF_YOUR_DEVICE:5555" to connect through the network
- enable "usb debugging" in your device's "Developer" options (in settings) (to enable "developer options", see here)
- to freeze an app type : "pm uninstall -k --user 0 PACKAGE" (replace PACKAGE with com.mitv.tvhome for Xiaomi stock launcher, and com.google.android.leanbacklauncher for Google Leanback launcher)
- to unfreeze an app type : "pm install -d -r --user 0 PACKAGE_PATH" (replace PACKAGE_PATH with /system/vendor/app/TvHome/TvHome.apk for Xiaomi stock launcher, and /system/priv-app/LeanbackLauncher/LeanbackLauncher.apk for Google Leanback launcher)
- to get a list of manually uninstallable apps, check the "rainman.v2.json" file on my github
- Evolution : If you have another device and want this app to support it (meaning using another list of installable/uninstallable apps), don't hesitate to make a PR on my github.
Engineering Menu App Translation :
After a bit of google translate and reverse engineering, here's a translation of the different menus, along with my own values.
- Projector information
- - Brightness 
- - DLP vendor name [APPO]
- - Production Week 
- - Contrast ratio 
- - Brightness Uniformity 
- - Serial Number
- - Color coordinates [r:860 g:860 b:860 x:283 y:302]
- Solid color (android) -> displays a solid color (using android system)
- Solid color (projector) -> displays a solid color (native)
- Other image test (android) -> displays a gradient (using android system)
- Other image test (projector) -> displays a gradient (native)
- Color wheel delay -> when incorrectly set, this can lead to posterization issues (gradients become unnatural and tend to display large uniform areas) 
- Save color wheel delay to Android
- Image mode : change the screen light intensity
- - Standard
- - Highlight
- - Energy saving
- Temperature monitoring
- - ambient temperature 
- - color wheel 
- - Laser temperature channel 1 
- - Laser temperature channel 2 
- Model name [MiProjA1]
- Human body induction -> enables/disables IR sensor that disable image when coming close to the laser
- Save information to projector
- DLP version [major:1, minor:2, patch:5]
- 3D (when modified, need to restart to take effect) -> enable/disable 3d support
- People with dead/white pixels, please report here your projector information (DLP vendor, DLP version, production week...). This might help us understand whether this issue is limited to a batch of dlp processors and seems to be fixed now, or if it's still an ongoing problem.
- Supported devices:
- Xiaomi Mi Laser UST Projector 150" (chinese) / MiProjA1 / model: MJJGYY01FM / codename: rainman
- Wemax One 7000 / MiProjA1 / model: FMWS01C / codename: rainman (thanks rockpaperscissors)
- Wemax Ond Pro / MiProjA1 / model: FMWS02C / codename: rainman
- Xiaomi Mi laser UST Projector 150" (international) / MiProjA1 / model: MJJGYY02FM / codename: anglee (thanks Nathan0121)
- Xiaomi Mi Laser UST Projector 150" 4k (chinese) / MiProjLas2 / model: MJJGTYDS01FM / codename: batman
This app can be downloaded here or on aptoide
2.17 : added ability to reduce input lag and disable noise reduction by long pressing "back" button.
2.16 : added auto start to hdmi (as stock launcher), so that users who changed launcher won't miss this feature.