Post Reply Email Thread
14th October 2019, 11:39 PM |#811  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 672

Donate to Me
More
Hi,
Did you use an old version of the tools? This problem should be fixed with the 3.0 release as it's declared as a launcher itself.
To fix your issue, just reboot too stock recovery and use the factory reset option (latest one of I remember well).
Or follow the tutorial to flash the full rainman firmware.
17th October 2019, 01:03 AM |#812  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmalas

I had myself offered from reseller (I bought from mainland china) to send to Xiaomi, and really do not want to go that route.

thanks, I had gone through tihsamikah, and this confirms my theory on the reflow issue.

there was a video on youtube, sadly its removed now as the owner account was closed. where he opened the projector. it was fairly simple process:

1- remove the screws, I think those are hidden under the feets all accessed from the buttom
for screw locations, check the first image in this and notice the long white screw holes

https://fccid.io/2AO2D-MJJGYY02FM/In...Photos-3920969

2- the projector lifts up, and speaker grill can be removed, and you will end up with the whole projector

3- under the L shaped black thing, there are 3 Lyers of PCBs connected to each others with cables.
those are
a) power Delivery (PSU)
b) android logic board, which also host the connections at the back (I think this is the only difference between the international and Chinese model but this is just a theory)
c) Video controller \ driver to the DMD chip

3- the board where the video controller chip, is the most likely candidate, since DMD failure would be very different from what you saw.

4- on the right side (this is for your info, please do not touch it ) is the laser assembly, do not open, as its sealed system.
its laser source then shines toward the DMD chip, (DMD imagine tiny mirrors instead of pixels, those switch direction to reproduce black \ white)
this light is reflected off the DMD (when its white) and pass through the color wheel, which constructs a full image, but with a single color,
DMD switch again, syncronized with the color wheel, and thus construct the second color, etc until full image is formed.
there is massive heatsink to cool the laser and the back of the DMD chip itself. but as I mentioned, this

5- rest of the stuff, is fans\ speakers, modules could be wifi \ bluetooth etc. but there is not need to remove those.

when you open it up, take res photos of the boards, and remember which side the DMD chip plug to, trace the PCB to check where most of the lines are going, this would be the faulty chip that needs reflowing.
Google the part number and it should match my description.

best way to reflow is to remove the chip, clean it, and resoldier it again. it's not a hard process in the right hands.

I will send you my phone number privately so you can talk on what's app if you need more details during the disassembly.

OK - so I've gotten a chance to pull open the projector - what a compete bastard that was

weird thing - now I've pulled it open, I thought I would turn it on - and it bloody worked straight away???

It has not done that in ages......

I've let it go for a bit, but no issues so far?

The only thing I did was push the DLP black cable in a bit further......

https://youtu.be/lNDlfVQDppg
The Following User Says Thank You to tihsamikah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tihsamikah Ad-Free
17th October 2019, 01:16 AM |#813  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihsamikah

OK - so I've gotten a chance to pull open the projector - what a compete bastard that was

weird thing - now I've pulled it open, I thought I would turn it on - and it bloody worked straight away???

It has not done that in ages......

I've let it go for a bit, but no issues so far?

The only thing I did was push the DLP black cable in a bit further......

https://youtu.be/lNDlfVQDppg

Sorry one thing I also looked at, is the heatsink here, is affixed by nothing but tape, and I pulled it off and no thermal paste to hold it down.
I removed this too, and replaced it.

I wonder - if this became dislodged, and was shorting something on the PCB??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017_101130.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	4846567   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017_101133.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	4846569  
The Following User Says Thank You to tihsamikah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tihsamikah Ad-Free
17th October 2019, 02:32 AM |#814  

More
Quote:

Sorry one thing I also looked at, is the heatsink here, is affixed by nothing but tape, and I pulled it off and no thermal paste to hold it down.
I removed this too, and replaced it.

I wonder - if this became dislodged, and was shorting something on the PCB??

and things are getting weirder....

I put the unit back together - and bam - stopped working, and did the white pixels as per my first video.

I've undone it again, and its working normally.

I'll keep investigating...

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Quote:

I put the unit back together - and bam - stopped working, and did the white pixels as per my first video.

sorry and more -

So - I pulled off the cover, and put it on lightly (without screwing it back in) and I booted up, and all was working.

I then pressed down on the left hand side (side with the wifi antennae) , and it corrupted.

turned it off - loosened the cover - and back on, and it working fine.

so - I've put the cover back on lightly (sealed it so it looks correct) and haven't screwed it together.

given I'm not going to move the projector, I don't have an issue.

So - for me this is working fine now.

perhaps those others with these symptoms can try and loosen the cover?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tihsamikah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tihsamikah Ad-Free
17th October 2019, 06:26 AM |#815  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spocky12

I've updated the Edid info (for both rainman and batman) in the second post, this time analyzed with a recent software (the old tool on my raspberry didn't work so well ).

I'm not working towards a compatibility with tv version. It's something that's been specifically disabled by Netflix, and seeing how the previous hacks in the past don't work anymore, my time would probably be more useful on another subject seeing that :
- the currently working version, although being less intuitive, can be fully used with the remote control (navigation as well as play/pause/ff/rw). The only thing that can't be done with the remote control is switching profile.
- there is almost no hope of getting FHD on our device (it lacks widevine L1 and this kind of DRM can't just be added by dropping a few files on the system)

For more clarity (or not ) the Accessibility Service has been renamed to the name of the app : "Mi ProjecTivy tools".

Hi @spocky12, to get the netflix compatibility should I just reinstall the app or do I need to start fresh again?
17th October 2019, 12:09 PM |#816  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

sorry and more -

So - I pulled off the cover, and put it on lightly (without screwing it back in) and I booted up, and all was working.

I then pressed down on the left hand side (side with the wifi antennae) , and it corrupted.

so - I've put the cover back on lightly (sealed it so it looks correct) and haven't screwed it together.

first of all BE CAREFULL do not touch the projector while on with bare hands, it is live power, and you do not want to mess with that

also thanks for the video,

few questions:

1- were you seeing the white dots on your projector issue.

2- did you have long start up time.

3- both problems caused by pressure on wifi antenna? can you point out where is this part so I could work out, how is the problem happened?

it could be short circuit or pressure bow something, and cause a lack of contact with the connector but it expands with heat
17th October 2019, 12:26 PM |#817  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Im really impressed with your hard work - especially the input lag has decreased so much and so much thanks!

I have the rainmain 1080p version and installed the latest magistk 20.0 and 3.0 App and even with dynamic colors and contrast on.. I get 42-75ms input lag which is pretty damn good and enough to casually play ... image looks even cleaner/sharper now with noise reduction/deinterlacing off.

thx!
17th October 2019, 12:48 PM |#818  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
[/COLOR]
Quote:

first of all BE CAREFULL do not touch the projector while on with bare hands, it is live power, and you do not want to mess with that

also thanks for the video,

few questions:

1- were you seeing the white dots on your projector issue.

2- did you have long start up time.

3- both problems caused by pressure on wifi antenna? can you point out where is this part so I could work out, how is the problem happened?

it could be short circuit or pressure bow something, and cause a lack of contact with the connector but it expands with heat

Hello,

Maybe the pressure at any point on the video PCB or case cover is enough to make contact on a bad weld chip ...

I think He has the same problem described before on this forum, first, long time to start on coold start and then, white dot points.

You talked with other user (from Australia) that the problem was a bad weld on a chip from the PCB video. The problem now is that without touch it, it is working fine, so we should to reproduce the problem with the projector open in order to look at the bad chip by touching or heating it.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

PD: I have the same issue with my xiomi 4k projector.
17th October 2019, 01:01 PM |#819  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aepg10

[/COLOR]

Hello,

Maybe the pressure at any point on the video PCB or case is enough to make contact on a bad weld chip ...

I think He has the same problem described before on this forum, first, long time to start on coold start and then, white dot points.

You talked with other user that the problem was a bad weld on a chip from the PCB video. The problem now is that without touch it, it is working fine, so we should to reproduce the problem with the projector open in order to look at the bad chip by touching or heating it.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

PD: I have the same issue with my xiomi 4k projector.

in this case, it looks like just opening the projector solved the problem.

there might not be any need for further work. but we have only single sample for now
17th October 2019, 01:32 PM |#820  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

in this case, it looks like just opening the projector solved the problem.

there might not be any need for further work. but we have only single sample for now

Thanks for your reply. We are two users from spain, one of them has send the projector to a thechnical service but it don´t solve the problem.

Maybe He can try with his projector.

I am waiting to open it because it is possible for me send it to china.

Do you think that only opening it or rest presure from the case will be enaouhg or it can be only a temporal solution?

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

Quote:

sorry and more -

Please, I will be appreciated if you can inform about your solution. If the problem come back or not with time or with the start cycles.
17th October 2019, 11:49 PM |#821  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 672

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

sorry and more -

Thank you for sharing your discoveries ! Hopefully this will be enough to fix most bad devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyunyu

Hi @spocky12, to get the netflix compatibility should I just reinstall the app or do I need to start fresh again?

With latest tools version, just uninstall and reinstall "custom build props".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janger88

Im really impressed with your hard work - especially the input lag has decreased so much and so much thanks!

I have the rainmain 1080p version and installed the latest magistk 20.0 and 3.0 App and even with dynamic colors and contrast on.. I get 42-75ms input lag which is pretty damn good and enough to casually play ... image looks even cleaner/sharper now with noise reduction/deinterlacing off.

thx!

Thanks for your positive feedback !
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mi laser projector, miproja1, wemax, xiaomi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)