FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Bromite magisk module

162 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from clcombs262: We are pleased to bring you v3.1, fixing boot/install scripts and other OEM issues
I've always wanted a webview that's not stock, and preferably bromite. But because of a lack of a custom recovery or inability to modify /system (or being unwilling to take the risk, I can't afford to brick too many devices due to overzealous dm-verity or accidentally deleting the wrong thing or whatever), I've had to deal with stock (usually chrome, ugh)

Originally Alexandria created it for personal use, but gave it to me and I liked it and gave it to my friends, and suggested she publish it. So now it's live on the magisk module repo for all to enjoy. Feel free to provide feedback and suggestions

Anyone on an x86 device to test would be awesome

Donations are welcomed here

Issues should be opened here

The bromite app itself is developed originally by the awesome folks over at https://bromite.org

XDA:DevDB Information
Bromite Systemless Webview , Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
clcombs262, topjohnwu, alexiacortez
Source Code: https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Repo/bromitewebview

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.1
Stable Release Date: 2019-06-08

Created 2019-06-05
Last Updated 2019-06-09
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to clcombs262 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clcombs262 Ad-Free

5th June 2019, 04:26 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Not sure, if this is relates to your module. I installed the module, but in developer settings, where I can choose the webview engine, bromite is greyed and it is written, it is not active for the user "me"... What should I do? I am on Linage for MicroG 15.1
5th June 2019, 11:13 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 404

More
doesnt seem to work on pixels. i think it is because the package name for webview is different on them.
5th June 2019, 11:35 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 371

More
what this module do?
6th June 2019, 12:59 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Monticello

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillus

Not sure, if this is relates to your module. I installed the module, but in developer settings, where I can choose the webview engine, bromite is greyed and it is written, it is not active for the user "me"... What should I do? I am on Linage for MicroG 15.1

disable chrome

It's a preferred webview package and will be used no matter what if installed
6th June 2019, 01:00 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Monticello

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbanj

doesnt seem to work on pixels. i think it is because the package name for webview is different on them.

Package name being different

I wouldn't be surprised if Google blocks it though; the stock ROM probably only will allow Google packages
6th June 2019, 01:01 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Monticello

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kos25k

what this module do?

Exactly what it says
6th June 2019, 04:39 AM |#8  
Flag DFW, TX
Thanks Meter: 390

More
anyway to exclude the actual bromite webview from the zip and script it detect architecture and download correct version and install as system since the filesize is awfully large 150mb+!? i guess that'd make it only work in magisk manager and not twrp flash.
6th June 2019, 10:31 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clcombs262

disable chrome

It's a preferred webview package and will be used no matter what if installed

Well it was kind of the opposite. I disabled the default webview (Lineage OS) and installed the Bromite Module afterwards. Now I re-enabled webview, which was no longer the default, but Bromite. So it works, if you don't disable default webview, because Bromite is a replacement. Never had chrome installed btw.
6th June 2019, 10:45 AM |#10  
Flag Butwal
Thanks Meter: 10

Donate to Me
More
Problem is the version is kept anonymous.

So there is no easier way to find what version of Bromite u r flashing.

No details in Magisk module, nothing.

I mean, I know u can't keep the browser up-to-date, but that doesn't mean, u need to hide it too. It dumb thing to do.
6th June 2019, 01:58 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Monticello

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWrick

Problem is the version is kept anonymous.

So there is no easier way to find what version of Bromite u r flashing.

No details in Magisk module, nothing.

I mean, I know u can't keep the browser up-to-date, but that doesn't mean, u need to hide it too. It dumb thing to do.

We don't hide anything; the app version is easily found under app info

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using XDA Labs
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)