LineageOS for microG

Search This thread
I followed the LineageOS instructions and successfully went from 18.x to 19.x on my Pixel 5a (barbet). However, subsequant OTA updates have not installed. I can download them, but the install always fails immediately with the notification "Install error".
Now, as far as useful error messages go, that isn't one.
So I'm looking for tips about what the cause may be. Or is there another way to install the updates, via ADB, for example?

kurtn

I followed the LineageOS instructions and successfully went from 18.x to 19.x on my Pixel 5a (barbet). However, subsequant OTA updates have not installed. I can download them, but the install always fails immediately with the notification "Install error".
Now, as far as useful error messages go, that isn't one.
So I'm looking for tips about what the cause may be. Or is there another way to install the updates, via ADB, for example?

humpty321

Jun 12, 2015
I uninstalled Magisk and flashed the original unpatched boot.img (to set the “Patch vbmeta in boot image” option had been a mistake anyway). But the OTA would not succeed after that either. So Magisk obviously was not the culprit. Therefore I started from scratch with the latest factory image. There is no new OTA yet, so I'll have to wait and see if the next one will work.
Just as a followup, this time the OTA update worked (lineage-19.1-20220804-microG-bramble). But after that root did only work with interruptions. This felt like a loose connection. Finally it stopped working altogether. So I had to install Magisk afresh.

Should I maybe disable "Update recovery" in the Updater options in order to avoid damaging root on a monthly basis, with every new update?

kurtn

Just as a followup, this time the OTA update worked (lineage-19.1-20220804-microG-bramble). But after that root did only work with interruptions. This felt like a loose connection. Finally it stopped working altogether. So I had to install Magisk afresh.

Should I maybe disable "Update recovery" in the Updater options in order to avoid damaging root on a monthly basis, with every new update?
Bramble is an a/b device. After installing the update in the other partition, you can tell magisk to install in that partition. Then reboot.

Reactions: humpty321

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
So you somehow blocked connection of updater to microG.org or it's sub-domains.
Now that a new build has been released, the update check is working again. Maybe something was wrong on the server after all.

Edit: I have to be more precise. I still get the message stating that the update check failed, but the latest updates are actually listed.

Last edited:

humpty321

Jun 12, 2015
Bramble is an a/b device. After installing the update in the other partition, you can tell magisk to install in that partition. Then reboot.
Thank you for drawing my attention to this option! I've found now these OTA Upgrade Guides (https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/ota.html). The steps necessary on A/B devices seem clear to me.
But there are also 2 Non A/B devices running LineageOS in the family. The guide says "you must have your stock recovery installed on your device". Is in this case the LineageOS recovery "stock" or would that be the one from Google?

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Thank you for drawing my attention to this option! I've found now these OTA Upgrade Guides (https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/ota.html). The steps necessary on A/B devices seem clear to me.
But there are also 2 Non A/B devices running LineageOS in the family. The guide says "you must have your stock recovery installed on your device". Is in this case the LineageOS recovery "stock" or would that be the one from Google?
These are basically non LineageOS for microG questions that are off-topic here, and that you will be better answered in your devices' LOS threads. But for me TWRP has always worked on any supported device, as did LOS recovery on the few I tried it with.

Reactions: humpty321 and kurtn

kurtn

These are basically non LineageOS for microG questions that are off-topic here, and that you will be better answered in your devices' LOS threads. But for me TWRP has always worked on any supported device, as did LOS recovery on the few I tried it with.
You should add: you use custom recovery method for installing magisk. Boot image method doesn't survive lineageOS updates.

budmerman

Oct 10, 2020
Im on ocean. when i upgraded to lineagemicrog 19 my external DAC's would no longer work. anyone have same problem? anyone still able to connect to USB audio? any solutions?
thanks.

Bracher

Sep 18, 2009
Hello, in the past I've used LineageOS for microG and additional - to get for example the patched Google Store - MinMicroG Installer from FriendlyNeighbourhoodShane. With MicroG version 19 this is no longer possible - MicroG is already fully installed - unfortunately without the patched Store. On most issues Aurora works fine and I hoped I could work without Google. Unfortunately it does not work for DWD Warnwetter. The app has GMS registration, but it does not recognise my in-app-purchase via Google. Is there any solution to get an patched Google Store?

kurtn

Hello, in the past I've used LineageOS for microG and additional - to get for example the patched Google Store - MinMicroG Installer from FriendlyNeighbourhoodShane. With MicroG version 19 this is no longer possible - MicroG is already fully installed - unfortunately without the patched Store. On most issues Aurora works fine and I hoped I could work without Google. Unfortunately it does not work for DWD Warnwetter. The app has GMS registration, but it does not recognise my in-app-purchase via Google. Is there any solution to get an patched Google Store?
We don't talk about piracy here. But is it really piracy, if you make warnwetter useable for you alone without play store? You already played for it. - and dwd doesn't want the meney. They got forced by court to take it.

Bracher

Sep 18, 2009
We don't talk about piracy here. But is it really piracy, if you make warnwetter useable for you alone without play store? You already played for it. - and dwd doesn't want the meney. They got forced by court to take it.
Yes for sure I paid and I would have no problem to pay ones more but it's not possible, I wrote as well to Warnwetter to ask them about this problem they have not reacted so far.

Bracher

Sep 18, 2009
The problem is I can download this app but despite his registration with GMS and beside the fact that I paid it and it worked till MicroG LOS 18.1 it now no longer accepts the payment or let me pay ones more - it seems a problem with in-app-purchases, but ok I have to find an alternative

Reactions: kurtn

Psk.It

The problem is I can download this app but despite his registration with GMS and beside the fact that I paid it and it worked till MicroG LOS 18.1 it now no longer accepts the payment or let me pay ones more - it seems a problem with in-app-purchases, but ok I have to find an alternative
download mickgapps core
open It, in /appset/core there is the GooglePlaystore.zip
copy "___etc___permissions" to /system/etc/permissions and "___priv-app___Phonesky" to /system/priv-app/phonesky

if unable to keeps changes.persistent you can build a magisk module on the fly

on reboot, you will have a working PlayStore, and your purchaised apps will work

humpty321

Jun 12, 2015
You should add: you use custom recovery method for installing magisk. Boot image method doesn't survive lineageOS updates.
Thank you both for answering my question. The non A/B devices I mentioned are both cheeseburger. This phone has a ramdisk and no separate vbmeta partition. Therefore following the installation guide I have to patch boot.img.

While these devices still were on 18.1 I used TWRP. When I had patched boot.img for the first time in 18.1 I let TWRP make a backup of it, placed on the phone. For all the following updates I used OTA only to download them. To install them I manually rebooted to recovery, installed the update from /data/lineageos_updates/, made TWRP restore the backup of that first patched boot.img and then rebooted to system. Never had a problem with this procedure.

When I installed the upgrade to 19.1 I guessed OTAs might become even easier to handle for the users of those two phones, if I installed the stock (?) LineageOS recovery. And I had always felt unsure if the updates might bring along changes in boot.img. These would have been discarded by always restoring that very first patched one.

So my question is: How often does LineageOS for microG updates contain modified boot.imges, especially if a device like cheeseburger has ceased to receive updates from the manufacturer? If changes to boot.img are not to be expected I'd return to TWRP and that previous procedure for updates.

kurtn

Thank you both for answering my question. The non A/B devices I mentioned are both cheeseburger. This phone has a ramdisk and no separate vbmeta partition. Therefore following the installation guide I have to patch boot.img.

While these devices still were on 18.1 I used TWRP. When I had patched boot.img for the first time in 18.1 I let TWRP make a backup of it, placed on the phone. For all the following updates I used OTA only to download them. To install them I manually rebooted to recovery, installed the update from /data/lineageos_updates/, made TWRP restore the backup of that first patched boot.img and then rebooted to system. Never had a problem with this procedure.

When I installed the upgrade to 19.1 I guessed OTAs might become even easier to handle for the users of those two phones, if I installed the stock (?) LineageOS recovery. And I had always felt unsure if the updates might bring along changes in boot.img. These would have been discarded by always restoring that very first patched one.

So my question is: How often does LineageOS for microG updates contain modified boot.imges, especially if a device like cheeseburger has ceased to receive updates from the manufacturer? If changes to boot.img are not to be expected I'd return to TWRP and that previous procedure for updates.
Keeping old boot.IMG is no good idea. The updates contain mainly security patches. Many of them are for the Linux kernel. The kernel is in boot image.

Rename magisk.apk to magisk.zip and flash it in recovery. If it doesn't work, use older magisk or lygisk.

Lygisk is a Magisk fork correcting addond's requirement of decrypted data in recovery.

Reactions: humpty321

kurtn

download mickgapps core
open It, in /appset/core there is the GooglePlaystore.zip
copy "___etc___permissions" to /system/etc/permissions and "___priv-app___Phonesky" to /system/priv-app/phonesky

if unable to keeps changes.persistent you can build a magisk module on the fly

on reboot, you will have a working PlayStore, and your purchaised apps will work
We are talking about in app purchases. For that use case nanolx patched a play store. That is still part of many microG installers. But not shipped with nikgapps.

I prefer methods I can't talk about in XDA

• Wow
Reactions: heinhuiz

Psk.It

We are talking about in app purchases. For that use case nanolx patched a play store. That is still part of many microG installers. But not shipped with nikgapps.

I prefer methods I can't talk about in XDA
What I experienced (since I have been flashothic) is about PlayStore and A12
the patched PlayStore does not work proprtly
that's the reason i suggested to use a most recent version
(you can just try, or find a differenti way)

Attachments

• GooglePlayStore.zip
    21.3 MB · Views: 6

Top Liked Posts

Does LOS for microG support locking of the bootloader for a Pixel 7?
    No. Use calyxos or divestOS
    Some more information on why the March QPRS update caused the 21.0 builds to fail: https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/1bp83tb/_/kwvut4m
    The 18.1 branch still has security patches. They don't get merged. So you have to pick them
    https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:"R_asb_2024-03"

Thanks, but from my (very limited) understanding of Gerrit, those changes have been implemented, but not been verified or code reviewed. So they are not, and will not be, merged to the main `lineage-18.1` branch, and LineageOS won't be making and publishing builds which include the changes.

Our project scope is to build for the same devices as LineageOS build for, so the changes aren't a lot of use to us. I don't know how we would go about 'picking' them for our builds, even if a: we had the resources to do so and b: we are happy to make builds including unverified, unreviewed code, which we don't
    Keep an eye on the matrix room to see when the build finishes
    Just wanted to say thanks for running the nio build. After a couple months of crashing in standby and then the delays related to the recent build issues, I was getting ready to nuke&pave with vanilla lineage until I came across this thread. Started watching the matrix room with bated breath when I saw a nio build begin last night!

I have been hearing a lot of positive things about recent Lineage 21 builds for the nio, so fingers crossed that this stays stable. Thanks again.
    Hi guys, it seems that we have to say goodbye the mozilla location service (MLS), it will be retired soon ..
    Imho that meens, that shipping the mozilla location location service will be no longer necessary.

The question is, which version of microG should be included in the upcoming builds ?
    More about mar-v-in's future plans here
    <snip>

@petefoth : Do you already have an idea how and when integrate a new microG version ?
    At the moment, our builds include the latest `stable` Microg components from https://microg.org/download.html (currently GmsCore is `0.2.27.223616`). We also include the microG F-Droid repo pre-configured, so that users can receive updates. Users can choose to allow beta updates of microG, allowing them to pick up the latest beta versions. This is what I do, so I'm running `0.3.1.240913` on my daily driver device.

I see no reason to change this approach at the moment. I guess mar-v-in will start by shipping his new versions as betas, which users will be able to try out if they wish. Eventually, with luck, the changes will become stable, and we will then include them in our build for all users. Until that happens, users will have to accept that MLS will stop / has stopped working, and live with the reduced performance: the fix is going to come from mar-v-in, and we will include it as normal.
    All the 20.0 builds are complete. Let's hope that 21.0 upstream builds are fixed in time for next month's build run.

The final 18.1 builds have been moved to https://download.lineage.microg.org/archive/
    Are there any problems with that device?
    Yes - there was an error while building the kernel.Probably caused by a change made in the kernel code repo during the build run. With luck it will get built in the next build run - see below
    Also, the latest build overall is almost a week ago.
    Yes, we run builds once per month. The next build run will start at 00:01 on 1st April. There will probably only be 20.0 builds because
    • upstream 18.1 builds have stopped and the 18.1 branch has reached 'end-of-life'
    • 19.1 devices were all promoted to 20.0 a couple of months ago
    • 21.0 builds are broken upstream
    Android experience relies heavily on Google's Play Services. The microG project creates an alternative to installing Gapps, which install and execute closed-source blobs on our phones. MicroG however requires a patch called "signature spoofing", which allows microG's apps to spoof themselves as Google Apps. LineageOS currently does not include the patch due to different opinions among the developers. (further information can be found here)

This makes microG installation difficult on LineageOS and other ROMs. Our ROM is a fork of LineageOS with just the necessary changes to have microG built-in. We ship weekly builds for all the LineageOS supported devices..

You can find us on https://lineage.microg.org

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS for microG, ROM for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    Simon94, ncorna, n1zzo, LineageOS, MaR-V-iN
    Source Code: https://github.com/lineageos4microg

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2017-11-06
    Last Updated 2020-08-28
    Just to give a small heads up. As you may noticed some of the project members the priorities have shifted to other projects.

I was and am still willing to take over some of the tasks, but as microG lacked some bugfixes and support for LineageOS 17.1 i was not sure whether its worth it to spend more time into LineageOS for microG. Once marvin released the new microG update, we still had to check with our team, how we'll proceed.

For now i've taken over the responsibility of the Android Build process, merged some of the fixes and integrated LineageOS 17.1 support. New builds are on their way, both LineageOS 16 and 17.1 based.

Best
    Simon
    Current device list which will be built tomorrow:
    Code:
    a6020,angler,armani,athene,bacon,bullhead,cancro,capricorn,cheeseburger,clark,condor,crackling,d855,
    deb,dragon,falcon,flo,flounder,gemini,h815,h850,hammerhead,harpia,herolte,here2lte,hlte,i9100,
    i9300,jfltexx,kenzo,klte,libra,lux,m8,mako,mido,oneplus2,oneplus3,onyx,osprey,otus,paella,pme,
    serranoltexx,shamu,thea,titan,victara,wt88047,yuga,Z00L
    Hey guys. You are right with your findings. We were testing yesterday LineageOS 15.1. But we rolled it back. Now we have almost everything ready for Lineage 15.1 - In fact there is one minor change outstanding before we're going to release. After release we'll start building the complete LineageOS weekly build roster again.
    today i got my weekly(?) update with november security patches via ota notification.
    thanks for that!

Yes they are rolling out new builds again :) Thank you everyone who is contributing to this :good:

Oops. They only build Oreo right now.

We have decided to build every device weekly (like before), as we don't have the capacity to build for ~75 devices daily and nightlies are quite useless to the end users. We will build for all the ~200 devices, ~30 devices per day, from top to bottom of the usual hudson devices list (which means that 15.1 builds will appear in the first part of the week and 14.1 in the second one).

As usual, new devices will be automatically added to the build list, no need to ask for them, just wait some days.