Thanks Meter: 362

By Simon94, Senior Member on 6th November 2017, 09:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th October 2019, 07:02 PM |#1621  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtn

Does network location provider show all boxes checked in microG self check?

It was digged out that NLP issue is due to newly introduced configurations for Qualcomm proprietary codes affecting at least beryllium and polaris. Here is a report upstream. Do you know how to inform the maintainers of Xiaomi devices (and probably others) more efficiently?
9th October 2019, 07:22 PM |#1622  
Flag Small town in Bavaria
Thanks Meter: 967

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0pe0Ue

It was digged out that NLP issue is due to newly introduced configurations for Qualcomm proprietary codes affecting at least beryllium and polaris. Here is a report upstream. Do you know how to inform the maintainers of Xiaomi devices (and probably others) more efficiently?

It sounds like @Setialpha can build a patch for that issue in nanodroid. Or he has already? Can you flash nanodroid and test?
10th October 2019, 12:15 AM |#1623  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 451

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by n76

Any reason you are avoiding the on phone only network location providers like Déj

Just a privacy preference. Weird I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by n76

I can assure you that the local GSM, the local Wi-Fi, and especially the Déj

Quote:

No luck with typing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu

Darned the XDA app for Android cutting off all of my reply that started after the accented Deja Vu. I will try to recreate my lost post with out the accents. . .

I can a assure you that the Deja Vu, the local Wi-Fi and the local GSM backends do not violate your privacy.

In fact, only the local GSM backend has any code at all to access the Internet and that is for you do download a database from the provider of your choice. The providers, Mozilla and Open Cell ID, are totally independent of the backend author. When you download a database, you download the whole world and the cell tower information for areas you want are kept with others ignored. Filtering is done on the phone so even the country or countries you are interested in is private. I guess someone monitoring the connection might deduce the country/countries of interest by the speed as processing slows down when it is actually writing to the database as opposed to skipping data. But that is about the size of the privacy leak.

Read the source code if you'd like to check me on the above.

The original intended use of these back ends was to provide network based location when you had no data connection but that characteristic also suits them for privacy.

Also since the two easy ways of getting the back ends installed, download from F-Droid or GitHub, do not collect statistics the author of those backends doesn't even know who or how many people are using them. (At least I don't think GitHub collects download statistics that are viewable by the author and from the discussion I've seen the F-Droid folks haven't come up with a way to collect and/or show downloads or app ratings in a way that they feel protect privacy.)

Anyway, I find the local backends very useful on my older mid-range phone that has a lousy GPS antenna: They allow me a quick location fix for apps like OsmAnd to work with for computing a route for navigation without waiting for the satellite based location to be acquired. Remember that if data is disabled then aGPS is not available and time to first fix on satellite position may take several minutes.

Source for above: I am the author of those back ends.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to n76 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift n76 Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 01:13 AM |#1624  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n76

Darned the XDA app for Android cutting off all of my reply that started after the accented Deja Vu. I will try to recreate my lost post with out the accents. . .

<snip>

Source for above: I am the author of those back ends.

Thanks you for the detailed post. I truly appreciate you taking the time to write up those details. I've searched for details in the past but never found anything as succinct as your write up.

It's good to k ow and I will certainly use the NLP is the future if my situation warrants it. At the moment I am very lucky that my current phone (Pocophone F1) has a very speedy GPS lock and that works for most of my needs.

However I will look forward to using the NLP providers you mentioned in the future as needed.

Keep up the great work. Your contributions are helping tons of people.

Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesKinds For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JamesKinds Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 08:13 AM |#1625  

More
Quote:

It sounds like @Setialpha can build a patch for that issue in nanodroid. Or he has already? Can you flash nanodroid and test?

After googling, it seems to me that introducing Qualcomm Location poses a significant risk to privacy since it will implicitly collect user data, including geolocation, tower, WiFi and IP address. It is very difficult for me to understand the official position of Lineage OS Team on this. Therefore it is not only a technical issue, much more serious.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to la0pe0Ue For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift la0pe0Ue Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 12:41 PM |#1626  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 794

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0pe0Ue

After googling, it seems to me that introducing Qualcomm Location poses a significant risk to privacy since it will implicitly collect user data, including geolocation, tower, WiFi and IP address. It is very difficult for me to understand the official position of Lineage OS Team on this. Therefore it is not only a technical issue, much more serious.

I can tell you Lineage's official position on this subject. "We told you so! Now go install Google package as your supposed to and stop using that insecure microG project."
Lineage does not allow signature spoofing on official builds, that's why this is a separate project. Also, this project defaults to the Mozilla location backend,, if your wondering their position.....
The Following User Says Thank You to githyanki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift githyanki Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 06:25 PM |#1627  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by githyanki

I can tell you Lineage's official position on this subject. "We told you so! Now go install Google package as your supposed to and stop using that insecure microG project."
Lineage does not allow signature spoofing on official builds, that's why this is a separate project. Also, this project defaults to the Mozilla location backend,, if your wondering their position.....

I am not aware of the current situation, but before we could install UnifiedNlp as a location provider without the whole microG, which does not require signature spoofing. I don't think that signature spoofing is a good thing: it is used to fight against a worse thing: Google makes the Google service almost necessary in the Android ecosystem.

Anyway, Lineage OS does not per se contain Google's proprietary blobs of Google services. It is us, users need that kind of service to run apps. However, the introduction of Qualcomm Location is of a quite different nature: it is a proprietary blob inserted into key apps in the OS (as a priv-app). This should be at least questioned because Lineage OS is supposed to be free and open source, so at least should not contain proprietary blobs unless it is strictly necessary.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to la0pe0Ue For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift la0pe0Ue Ad-Free
11th October 2019, 09:12 AM |#1628  
Flag Dickinson
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Issues Updating
I am having issues updating. When using twrp to install, I get boot loop. Using lineageos recovery install works through adb sideload but cannot get it to update. How are you guys updating the rom on your phones?
11th October 2019, 09:33 AM |#1629  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintonson

I am having issues updating. When using twrp to install, I get boot loop. Using lineageos recovery install works through adb sideload but cannot get it to update. How are you guys updating the rom on your phones?

Bootloop is usually no ROM problem, but your addons. What zips did you flash after last wipe of system?
Update path is through settings / system / advanced
11th October 2019, 05:04 PM |#1630  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
This commit MUST be reverted!

It effectively destroys the free choice of NLP providers and imposes severe privacy issues by collecting mentioned data using a unique id. I do not understand, how this commit could ever be accepted. At least users should be asked and have the option to take part in this data dealing game...

Anyway, if one wants to compile from source by oneself, how this could be effectively reverted? (I'm not completedly new to this, have compiled Lineage for microg before, but without any changes and others systems like libreelec, openwrt ... too). But here, I'm confused.

In config.xml in .../frameworks/base/core/res/res/values both variables do have the right values. I suspect that the settings in overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values overrule these.
So, how to change this behaviour? I even don't see any overlay/... in the Lineage source tree...

Could somebody please kindly explain or give a step by step, where to make the appropriate changes and then how to compile?
The Following User Says Thank You to marconxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marconxda Ad-Free
11th October 2019, 05:10 PM |#1631  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marconxda

This commit MUST be reverted!

It effectively destroys the free choice of NLP providers and imposes severe privacy issues by collecting mentioned data using a unique id. I do not understand, how this commit could ever be accepted. At least users should be asked and have the option to take part in this data dealing game...

Anyway, if one wants to compile from source by oneself, how this could be effectively reverted? (I'm not completedly new to this, have compiled Lineage for microg before, but without any changes and others systems like libreelec, openwrt ... too). But here, I'm confused.

In config.xml in .../frameworks/base/core/res/res/values both variables do have the right values. I suspect that the settings in overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values overrule these.
So, how to change this behaviour? I even don't see any overlay/... in the Lineage source tree...

Could somebody please kindly explain or give a step by step, where to make the appropriate changes and then how to compile?

You talk about a new kind of Qualcomm network location "feature"? Does it come with a proprietary blob?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)