Post Reply Email Thread
11th October 2019, 06:10 PM |#1631  
Flag Small town in Bavaria
Thanks Meter: 1,028

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marconxda

This commit MUST be reverted!

It effectively destroys the free choice of NLP providers and imposes severe privacy issues by collecting mentioned data using a unique id. I do not understand, how this commit could ever be accepted. At least users should be asked and have the option to take part in this data dealing game...

Anyway, if one wants to compile from source by oneself, how this could be effectively reverted? (I'm not completedly new to this, have compiled Lineage for microg before, but without any changes and others systems like libreelec, openwrt ... too). But here, I'm confused.

In config.xml in .../frameworks/base/core/res/res/values both variables do have the right values. I suspect that the settings in overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values overrule these.
So, how to change this behaviour? I even don't see any overlay/... in the Lineage source tree...

Could somebody please kindly explain or give a step by step, where to make the appropriate changes and then how to compile?

You talk about a new kind of Qualcomm network location "feature"? Does it come with a proprietary blob?
11th October 2019, 06:14 PM |#1632  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:

This commit MUST be reverted!

It effectively destroys the free choice of NLP providers and imposes severe privacy issues by collecting mentioned data using a unique id. I do not understand, how this commit could ever be accepted. At least users should be asked and have the option to take part in this data dealing game...

Anyway, if one wants to compile from source by oneself, how this could be effectively reverted? (I'm not completedly new to this, have compiled Lineage for microg before, but without any changes and others systems like libreelec, openwrt ... too). But here, I'm confused.

In config.xml in .../frameworks/base/core/res/res/values both variables do have the right values. I suspect that the settings in overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values overrule these.
So, how to change this behaviour? I even don't see any overlay/... in the Lineage source tree...

Could somebody please kindly explain or give a step by step, where to make the appropriate changes and then how to compile?

I encourage you to complain at https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/issues/1270 and somewhere else where LineageOS Team frequently looks at (maybe reddit?), since there is little affect to just reply here. I would like to stress again that LineageOS is advertised to be free and open-source, therefore the introduction of unnecessary proprietary blobs should always be at least questioned. Plus the privacy issue - this is important but not as striking as "free and open-source" at the homepage of LineageOS.
The Following User Says Thank You to la0pe0Ue For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift la0pe0Ue Ad-Free
12th October 2019, 06:00 AM |#1633  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Googleing, Qualcomming and the way out
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtn

You talk about a new kind of Qualcomm network location "feature"? Does it come with a proprietary blob?

Yes, at least that's how I understand la0pe0Ue.

Some automatisms on my phone depend on the results of UnifiedNLP. They ceased to work because UnifiedNLP doesn't work any longer, because of the above mentioned commit that blocks alternative location providers and pushes data to Qualcomm. So users' phones are effectively crippled to support a company's data collection behaviour!

There are 3 possible solutions to this:

1. LineageOS reverts it (best one, all users of Lineage and its descendants will profit)

2. Lineage for microG reverts it (that's why I posted in this forum: it doesn't make any sense to take the burden of creating and distributing a system, that substitutes Google by Qualcomm, when they play the same game)

3. Users reverts it by themselves (highest effort but rewarding from an intellectual standpoint )

I successfully compiled Lineage for microG using the Docker image on github.

But I don't know where to interrupt the building process to stop overlay/frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml from interfering with the standard values of config_enableNetworkLocationOverlay and config_enableFusedLocationOverlay.

Would be glad to get any suggestions!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marconxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marconxda Ad-Free
12th October 2019, 11:02 AM |#1634  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:

Yes, at least that's how I understand la0pe0Ue.

After some search in github, now I understand that, sadly, LineageOS has a long history of including QC location and adding the same configurations. Let's ask whether maintainers of LineageOS for microG have some ideas.
The Following User Says Thank You to la0pe0Ue For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift la0pe0Ue Ad-Free
12th October 2019, 01:14 PM |#1635  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0pe0Ue

... long history of including QC location and adding the same configurations.

That means, I was just lucky in the past buying phones where UnifiedNLP was functional!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0pe0Ue

Let's ask whether maintainers of LineageOS for microG have some ideas.

Yeah. Do they read here? Maybe corna could help?
12th October 2019, 01:40 PM |#1636  

More
Quote:

That means, I was just lucky in the past buying phones where UnifiedNLP was functional!?

Yeah. Do they read here? Maybe corna could help?

@ncorna
12th October 2019, 07:46 PM |#1637  

More
Quote:

@ncorna

Thanks for pointing to!
15th October 2019, 03:26 PM |#1638  
Flag Germany
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Reboot after turning on mobile data
For about a month I have a new issue on Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus (SM-G901F), LineageOS for microG 16 (Android 9):
If I turn on mobile data for the first time after the phone has booted it immediately reboots most times. It is not a complete reboot but rather a reboot of the system UI: Black display for a short moment, no Samsung boot screen, no LineageOS boot screen, no SIM card unlock code. The phone is locked, after unlocking the display boot operations like scanning the external SD card run. The status bar shows both the SIM provider name and SIM card not available. Calling is not possible. I have to reboot the phone completely. As mobile data is turned on then the problem does not occur again until the next boot.
Following activations of mobile data do not trigger that issue.
Can someone confirm this or have an idea what the reason may be?
18th October 2019, 03:19 PM |#1639  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:

@ncorna guacamole should have been built today

For a Microg newbie, when should the build appear at https://download.lineage.microg.org/guacamole/ ?
18th October 2019, 04:45 PM |#1640  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestouff

For a Microg newbie, when should the build appear at https://download.lineage.microg.org/guacamole/ ?

Yes, should. But you have other options.
19th October 2019, 12:18 AM |#1641  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 453

More
Quote:

Yes, should. But you have other options.

What other options would you suggest?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)