[MOD] [VR] [Dev] Samsung Gear VR on other devices.

Search This thread

dc13

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
Hey guys so last time I used it a few months ago this was how I got Samsung Gear VR working on my LG V20 rom. For those DEVs that would like to add this feature I thought we could all work together to get this on every device that is running 1440p screen just for quality reasons.

This is for devs only not a flash able zip.

Extract the contents and just copy and paste the info in the build prop.

Last edited:

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
colab with other devs 2

Possible to slim it down (Apps)? To include 174Mb in the System is a bit much for that few Users who'd own a Gear VR. Maybe I'll be better if You provide it as flashable Zip. If You need help with that i could be Your Man!

BR and cool stuff btw!

De-odexing could be also a good Step besides pulling it from the System Image instead of dumping it from a running System. But just a suggestion....

Last edited:

dc13

Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
Im about to compress those apps to see how much i can save but i need to finish installing a new os. If you want to make a zipable you can ill post it up and can givw u access to the google drive.

Reactions: Miustone

kingdruid

Mar 5, 2009
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway:
Where do you copy the contents of the app-private folder
Are there any other instructions? I remember I had to get this to work on a rooted samsung and I thought there was suppose to be some service running for the gear vr software to kick off when the device is connected.

mweinbach

Portal Writer
Feb 13, 2016
Connecticut
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway:
Where do you copy the contents of the app-private folder
Are there any other instructions? I remember I had to get this to work on a rooted samsung and I thought there was suppose to be some service running for the gear vr software to kick off when the device is connected.
The /system/priv-app/ folder

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Im about to compress those apps to see how much i can save but i need to finish installing a new os. If you want to make a zipable you can ill post it up and can givw u access to the google drive.

mariuskopp517@gmail.com
I will make a lovely flashable AROMA based ZIP this Weekend. I can also improve the Size a bit by using my optimized Compression methods. Think the Size isn't that important as standalone ZIP, but some Users have slow connections and bad Data Plans...
I don't own the Gear VR but things like that have to be supported! It's a step in the right direction (Android shouldn't be used to include OEM exclusive Features dear Samsung! Share them!)

BR :)

kingdruid

Mar 5, 2009
So I understand you copy it to app-private in data, but that doesnt give you the software. Does anyone. Have a zip with the required apks needed to actually launch the vr setup wizard?

dc13

Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
Possible to slim it down (Apps)? To include 174Mb in the System is a bit much for that few Users who'd own a Gear VR. Maybe I'll be better if You provide it as flashable Zip. If You need help with that i could be Your Man!

BR and cool stuff btw!

De-odexing could be also a good Step besides pulling it from the System Image instead of dumping it from a running System. But just a suggestion....

200MB is not that much gain when most roms will have 500MB+ removed and the system portion would be un changed so free space would be sitting there to be taken up.

kingdruid

Mar 5, 2009
if you copy this into your rom flash it you will have access to samsung gear vr on your phone.

Oh so this has to be done before you even flash your phone, you can't add Gear VR functionality after your phone has already been flashed. Sorry I misunderstood.

It would be cool if this was a separate package that could be added to an existing phone with root access.

dc13

Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
My way was just how to add ot to a none flashed rom if you throw these files in your system clear cache is should work also if you set the permissions correct

kingdruid

Mar 5, 2009
My way was just how to add ot to a none flashed rom if you throw these files in your system clear cache is should work also if you set the permissions correct

Would you still copy it to app-private in that situation? I tried that and it wiped the folders from the app-private, but did not install any of the applications.

Nougat 7.0 lg v20 sprint. Maybe I am better off installing your rom which will just have it working???

miniminus

Feb 20, 2012
this is great news :) been trying to get this working on my S7 active ! tried boot.prop changes but no different
as its just software stopping it working, as hardware is pretty much identical ..
did try from here https://xdaforums.com/mobile-vr/gear-vr/port-gear-vr-software-to-android-device-t3540402
but couldnt get it to copy properly, so wouldnt work ..
once rooted, is it just a case of coping over, can this be done via say ES.Explorer ? ..

does this then enable the auto detection when pluging in ? and the touch pad and buttons too ? ..

SketchyStunts

Sep 1, 2011
GA.
This looks super interesting. I've got a V20 running AOSP & I'm going to play around with it after work

Sent from my ls997 using XDA Labs

dc13

Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
Would you still copy it to app-private in that situation? I tried that and it wiped the folders from the app-private, but did not install any of the applications.

Nougat 7.0 lg v20 sprint. Maybe I am better off installing your rom which will just have it working???

If you just copy and paste the folders inside the priv app folder think there's like 7 it will be just fine if you copy the priv app folder it might not merge and just replace. I had to factory reset for the apps to get all the correct permissions not sure why.

this is great news :) been trying to get this working on my S7 active ! tried boot.prop changes but no different
as its just software stopping it working, as hardware is pretty much identical ..
did try from here https://xdaforums.com/mobile-vr/gear-vr/port-gear-vr-software-to-android-device-t3540402
but couldnt get it to copy properly, so wouldnt work ..
once rooted, is it just a case of coping over, can this be done via say ES.Explorer ? ..

does this then enable the auto detection when pluging in ? and the touch pad and buttons too ? ..

Buttons worker don't remember if it auto started

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys so last time I used it a few months ago this was how I got Samsung Gear VR working on my LG V20 rom. For those DEVs that would like to add this feature I thought we could all work together to get this on every device that is running 1440p screen just for quality reasons.

This is for devs only not a flash able zip.

Extract the contents and just copy and paste the info in the build prop.

mariuskopp517@gmail.com
    I will make a lovely flashable AROMA based ZIP this Weekend. I can also improve the Size a bit by using my optimized Compression methods. Think the Size isn't that important as standalone ZIP, but some Users have slow connections and bad Data Plans...
    I don't own the Gear VR but things like that have to be supported! It's a step in the right direction (Android shouldn't be used to include OEM exclusive Features dear Samsung! Share them!)

BR :)
    Downloads

Version 4/10/2017
    Mega NZ - http://bit.ly/2nZ9f9S
    Change Log

Version 1 - What has worked as of 4/4/17 on the LG V20 Ti-X Rom
    I was able to get It running property by installing only 3 apps. The Facebook installer/app manager and the Oculus gear VR app. All I did was launch the gear VR app and it installed everything required. Also i did a clean rom install and never used the apps included in this thread. Going to test in the the headset after work.