OnePlus Parallel App Installer

Search This thread

Xennet

Nov 21, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
PARALLEL APP INSTALLER BY XENNET

Many of you all know me from the Oneplus3 forums where i had manually patched the boot images for Dm-Verity and File encryption.

OnePlus has introduced the Parallel App space into almost all their phones from Oneplus 3 till their latest released ones. But the main drawback of it is that it allows only a very small handful of preselected apps only to be installed into the parallel space. Users resort to third party apps to create additional copies of their apps. But these third party apps use up a lot of memory, lag the phone behind and the apps installed into them doesn’t seem like a natural app in their performance. That's a major drawback. Keeping that in mind I have developed a Windows Application which seamlessly install “ANY APP” you wish into the parallel space in OnePlus phones. These apps behave and work seamlessly and fluently as any other stock installed parallel space app because it is installed into the default parallel space that OnePlus uses. Now get ready to use any app in two on your OnePlus phones.

PREREQUISITES:

*Any OnePlus phone(or for that matter any phone where the Parallel user space id is 999)...I plan to update the application in near future if you provide your phone's Parallel space user id (which can be obtained via this application) and details in the XDA forum post. No etas.

*ADB Driver

*OnePlus phone drivers from your phone after connecting it via USB

*Windows 10 is recommended

*.NET Package 4 and above

*Phone must be ROOTED, preferably with Magisk. This application won't work on Non-Rooted phones.

*App for installation can be any app. It can even be an app that is not installed already in the default user space. It should be a compatible apk file that's all. The app normally in parallel space gets updated as you update the original user space app. So if that's what you want then obtain the exact base apk file of the installed app from google play store via different methods (downloading from apkmirror, google paly store downloader) or you can get it via various root explorers, for example like Esfile explorer which allows you to save the base apk file from the installed user apps.

*Whatever the app, however you get it, you should place it in the root of the storage (storage/emulated/0) and rename it as install.apk. Renaming is important.

ALL INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO USE THE APP WILL BE FOUND ON RUNNING THE APPLICATION

Just Download the attached RAR file extract it and Run Parallel App Installer.exe

FAQs:

Q:Why do you need this Application?
A:The answer is simple. Go to the Settings in Oxygen OS and select Parallel Apps. You can see only a few apps which can be installed as parallel apps when you have several apps installed in your phone and the app you need as parallel app is not listed there. My Parallel App Installer is made to bypass this restriction in Oxygen OS so that you can install any app you wish into the DEFAULT ONEPLUS PARALLEL SPACE so that it can run like a normal app on your phone without the need for any third party parallel space creator apps.

Q:What is the need for this app when there are other parallel applications like Island, Shelter, etc.?
A:First of all Island, Shelter etc are android applications that you need to install into your phone. Then these apps create a sandboxed space where the parallel apps are run. My app is a Windows application. You just connect your phone press a few buttons and the app you want is installed INTO THE DEFAULT PARALLEL SPACE THAT ONEPLUS OXYGEN OS USES and your app appear in the launcher. Here there is no need for you to install additional app to run the parallel app. It is installed into the default parallel space. So, no lag, no errors nothing. Everything is in the default parallel space.

Q:What apps can be installed?
A:Virtually any app you wish to. It can even be an app that is not installed already in the default user space. It should be a compatible apk file that's all. The app normally in parallel space gets updated as you update the original user space app. So if that's what you want then obtain the exact base apk file of the installed app from google play store via different methods (downloading from apkmirror, google paly store downloader) or you can get it via various root explorers, for example like Esfile explorer which allows you to save the base apk file from the installed user apps.

Q:Can I install apps that usually don’t natively support parallel app installation?
A:Yes. One such app is Signal which doesn’t allow default parallel space installation. You can even install signal by this application into the default parallel space.

Q:Do I need Root for installation?
A:YES. You need a ROOTED phone for this application to work. It needs elevated shell privileges to install the app to the parallel space. But like some users asked, after installation if you remove the root the installed parallel is not uninstalled.

Q:Does it support other phones than ONEPLUS?
A:For that matter, this Application is based on ADB and Shell commands which are common to all Android OS running Phones. So, it can be very well tried on other phone models too as long as the Parallel Space ID is 999. I plan to update the application in near future if you provide your phone's Parallel space user id (which can be obtained via this application) and details in this XDA Thread. No etas.

Q:Will this app get updates?
A:Depends on how well the app is received by this community and the further need for it. If you are interested so am I.

Q:My antivirus flagged this applications as virus. Is it harmful?
A:Don't be ridiculous. No one is going so open in an XDA thread and distributing a virus around. This application contains scripts for shell and adb commands which can be FALSELY ALARMED by some antiviruses. That's all.

Q:The application doesn't work for me. It has this bug, that bug, real bug....etc...???
A:Really!!! That's why this XDA Thread is for. Post it here with explanation. I will look into it and get it worked...But before posting read the prerequisites for the application well.

XDA:DevDB Information
Parallel App Installer by XENNET, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
Xennet

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.0.0
Stable Release Date: 2020-05-17

Created 2020-05-17
Last Updated 2020-05-18

Last edited:

Xennet

Nov 21, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
So doesn't this just mean that OnePlus' Parallel Space creates a separate profile for its parallel apps? That's exactly what creating a work profile does in apps like Island or Shelter.

The parallel space id is 999 in OnePlus...For the first question yes... OnePlus creates s separate space....the default paths used are:

data/user/999/{app.path}

storage/emulated/999

data/media/999

data/system/users/999

But for the answer to island is that it creates a sandboxed area rather than create all the profiles for a default parallel userspace...the paths used are sandboxed rather than real paths...

So here via my application it's the default inbuilt parallel space of OnePlus that's used (which results in creation of same parallel apps thare are created via the OnePlus settings) rather than creating a new virtual sandboxed area like island..

And FAQs will be written in a days time...time constraint...

nbousqi

Nov 25, 2013
Is root mandatory ? Any chance to get it work without root ?

Does this sandboxed model for parallel apps means that a classic app in "/0" will never be able to reach "/999" storage ?
I'm thinking in a file explorer like solid explorer.

Envoyé de mon GM1903 en utilisant Tapatalk

xpakage

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma

Does this sandboxed model for parallel apps means that a classic app in "/0" will never be able to reach "/999" storage ?

The below is from the op.

*Phone must be ROOTED, preferably with Magisk. This application won't work on Non-Rooted phones.

Xennet

Nov 21, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra

Root is mandatory...

For your second question it just means that they are in 2 separate spaces so that they can coexist and work together in the same operating system...the spaces can be accessed by any root explorer and that has nothing to do with the spaces being separate....

nbousqi

Nov 25, 2013
Root is mandatory...

For your second question it just means that they are in 2 separate spaces so that they can coexist and work together in the same operating system...the spaces can be accessed by any root explorer and that has nothing to do with the spaces being separate....
But root still required you cross this logical boundary? In other words, any chance it will work with non rooted phone?

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
You don't need root or a special tool to install apps to Parallel Apps. All you have to do is specify --user 999 when installing an app through ADB. Parallel Apps is basically a work profile with a different ID and icon, but without the work profile integrations and the addition of the settings menu for it. Also, Parallel Apps has Play Services but not the Play Store, unlike Work Profiles created through Island/Shelter which installs both.

nbousqi

Nov 25, 2013
You don't need root or a special tool to install apps to Parallel Apps. All you have to do is specify --user 999 when installing an app through ADB. Parallel Apps is basically a work profile with a different ID and icon, but without the work profile integrations and the addition of the settings menu for it. Also, Parallel Apps has Play Services but not the Play Store, unlike Work Profiles created through Island/Shelter which installs both.
Exactly what I was looking for ! Thanks a lot for that not so documented nor known adb option.

Great and thanks

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Is there a command to create a work instance of an already installed apk ?
Meaning without saving apk from classic storage and pushing it back to work parallel space.

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Is there a command to create a work instance of an already installed apk ?
Meaning without saving apk from classic storage and pushing it back to work parallel space.

Good question. You could probably automate this getting the path of the installed APK for the personal profile (eg. "dumpsys package <package>") and then feeding that path to "pm install --user 999."

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PARALLEL APP INSTALLER BY XENNET

Many of you all know me from the Oneplus3 forums where i had manually patched the boot images for Dm-Verity and File encryption.

OnePlus has introduced the Parallel App space into almost all their phones from Oneplus 3 till their latest released ones. But the main drawback of it is that it allows only a very small handful of preselected apps only to be installed into the parallel space. Users resort to third party apps to create additional copies of their apps. But these third party apps use up a lot of memory, lag the phone behind and the apps installed into them doesn’t seem like a natural app in their performance. That's a major drawback. Keeping that in mind I have developed a Windows Application which seamlessly install “ANY APP” you wish into the parallel space in OnePlus phones. These apps behave and work seamlessly and fluently as any other stock installed parallel space app because it is installed into the default parallel space that OnePlus uses. Now get ready to use any app in two on your OnePlus phones.

PREREQUISITES:

*Any OnePlus phone(or for that matter any phone where the Parallel user space id is 999)...I plan to update the application in near future if you provide your phone's Parallel space user id (which can be obtained via this application) and details in the XDA forum post. No etas.

*ADB Driver

*OnePlus phone drivers from your phone after connecting it via USB

*Windows 10 is recommended

*.NET Package 4 and above

*App for installation can be any app. It can even be an app that is not installed already in the default user space. It should be a compatible apk file that's all. The app normally in parallel space gets updated as you update the original user space app. So if that's what you want then obtain the exact base apk file of the installed app from google play store via different methods (downloading from apkmirror, google paly store downloader) or you can get it via various root explorers, for example like Esfile explorer which allows you to save the base apk file from the installed user apps.

*Whatever the app, however you get it, you should place it in the root of the storage (storage/emulated/0) and rename it as install.apk. Renaming is important.

ALL INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO USE THE APP WILL BE FOUND ON RUNNING THE APPLICATION

Just Download the attached RAR file extract it and Run Parallel App Installer.exe

FAQs:

Q:Why do you need this Application?
    A:The answer is simple. Go to the Settings in Oxygen OS and select Parallel Apps. You can see only a few apps which can be installed as parallel apps when you have several apps installed in your phone and the app you need as parallel app is not listed there. My Parallel App Installer is made to bypass this restriction in Oxygen OS so that you can install any app you wish into the DEFAULT ONEPLUS PARALLEL SPACE so that it can run like a normal app on your phone without the need for any third party parallel space creator apps.

Q:What is the need for this app when there are other parallel applications like Island, Shelter, etc.?
    A:First of all Island, Shelter etc are android applications that you need to install into your phone. Then these apps create a sandboxed space where the parallel apps are run. My app is a Windows application. You just connect your phone press a few buttons and the app you want is installed INTO THE DEFAULT PARALLEL SPACE THAT ONEPLUS OXYGEN OS USES and your app appear in the launcher. Here there is no need for you to install additional app to run the parallel app. It is installed into the default parallel space. So, no lag, no errors nothing. Everything is in the default parallel space.

Q:What apps can be installed?
    A:Virtually any app you wish to. It can even be an app that is not installed already in the default user space. It should be a compatible apk file that's all. The app normally in parallel space gets updated as you update the original user space app. So if that's what you want then obtain the exact base apk file of the installed app from google play store via different methods (downloading from apkmirror, google paly store downloader) or you can get it via various root explorers, for example like Esfile explorer which allows you to save the base apk file from the installed user apps.

Q:Can I install apps that usually don’t natively support parallel app installation?
    A:Yes. One such app is Signal which doesn’t allow default parallel space installation. You can even install signal by this application into the default parallel space.

Q:Do I need Root for installation?
    A:YES. You need a ROOTED phone for this application to work. It needs elevated shell privileges to install the app to the parallel space. But like some users asked, after installation if you remove the root the installed parallel is not uninstalled.

Q:Does it support other phones than ONEPLUS?
    A:For that matter, this Application is based on ADB and Shell commands which are common to all Android OS running Phones. So, it can be very well tried on other phone models too as long as the Parallel Space ID is 999. I plan to update the application in near future if you provide your phone's Parallel space user id (which can be obtained via this application) and details in this XDA Thread. No etas.

Q:Will this app get updates?
    A:Depends on how well the app is received by this community and the further need for it. If you are interested so am I.

Q:My antivirus flagged this applications as virus. Is it harmful?
    A:Don't be ridiculous. No one is going so open in an XDA thread and distributing a virus around. This application contains scripts for shell and adb commands which can be FALSELY ALARMED by some antiviruses. That's all.

Q:The application doesn't work for me. It has this bug, that bug, real bug....etc...???
    A:Really!!! That's why this XDA Thread is for. Post it here with explanation. I will look into it and get it worked...But before posting read the prerequisites for the application well.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Parallel App Installer by XENNET, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    Xennet

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.0.0
    Stable Release Date: 2020-05-17

Created 2020-05-17
    Last Updated 2020-05-18
    So doesn't this just mean that OnePlus' Parallel Space creates a separate profile for its parallel apps? That's exactly what creating a work profile does in apps like Island or Shelter.

The parallel space id is 999 in OnePlus...For the first question yes... OnePlus creates s separate space....the default paths used are:

data/user/999/{app.path}

storage/emulated/999

data/media/999

data/system/users/999

But for the answer to island is that it creates a sandboxed area rather than create all the profiles for a default parallel userspace...the paths used are sandboxed rather than real paths...

So here via my application it's the default inbuilt parallel space of OnePlus that's used (which results in creation of same parallel apps thare are created via the OnePlus settings) rather than creating a new virtual sandboxed area like island..

And FAQs will be written in a days time...time constraint...
    where is the link to download?
    But root still required you cross this logical boundary? In other words, any chance it will work with non rooted phone?

It's not the boundary of the parallel space that requires root...

Root is required to install the app to that space...its access requires root...
    So after the app is installed the phone can be un rooted?

Root is needed only to install... whether u unroot after that it doesn't matter...but if u lock the bootloader then ur data will be formatted..