Originally Posted by MastahF
Questions? Use Q&A!
Please read the FAQ
before reporting any bugs or errors!
If you post in the main thread not having read the FAQ or error message itself, not included a debug log when reporting a malfuction or reporting a Force Closure without a logcat, your post will be ignored by the developers!
Not because we are evil, but because the same questions keep popping up over and over again and too often we get a "X doesn't work, plz fix" without any clue what is happening. We don't have telepathic connection to your device and all the time unnecessarily wasted on this can't be spend on development of Open GApps itself.
The Latest builds of Open GApps for Android can easily be downloaded from the:
Open GApps Homepage -> All architectures & download options
I work on this project for FREE and putting in a lot of hours into it. While not mandatory, donations encourage me to continue to further pursue this project and I'd deeply appreciate them, if you feel generous.
Donate to The Open GApps Project
Are you a ROM developer and want to hotlink to the latest Open GApps package? Then check this wiki entry
Please don't publicly mirror the prebuilt packages without explicit consent of @MastahF
, to ensure that users will always be directed to the very latest version and the source code of the project.
About The Open GApps Project
Open GApps is a Google Apps package completely developed by writing buildscripts which allow for the automated creation of new up-to-date packages automatically.
The development process is completely open-source (GPLv3) and the goal is to have multiple contributors involved, to secure and reinforce the sustainability of Open GApps development.
Builds are generated every (European) night automatically (if there are any changes) and uploaded to GitHub.
Official AROMA Open GApps package is developed in collaboration with long-time LP-AROMA-developer @raulx222 and has a dedicated XDA thread
For any questions about the AROMA installer development, please refer to that thread. Of course, general support questions can also be asked in our own Q&A thread
Official Open GApps For Stock support is developed in collaboration with @Rapper_skull and has a dedicated XDA thread
For any questions about the GApps for Stock development, please refer to that thread. Of course, general support questions can also be asked in our own Q&A thread
The x86 package branch of the package is focused on Zenfone support and is maintained by @deadman96385 of the famous Zenfone GApps packages and has its own topic for x86 related questions
For those that cook their own ROM, an AOSP-build mechanism for Open GApps has been developed by @blystad
and can be found at GitHub
, remember that you should not bundle any pre-packaged Google Apps with any ROMs you want to distribute further though.
To gather all the various APKs that are necessary for the packages our master of the APK Universe
has written a tool called APKCrawler that scrape these from the internet, e.g. from APKMirror, it can be found at GitHub
Characteristic of Open GApps:
The idea behind this project:
- Some highlights about the characteristics of the Open GApps packages:
- All platforms and and all Android versions are supported
- DPI-optimized support for all Google packages (unlike other GApps)
- Frequently updated Google Apps: The pre-built OpenGApps.org packages are updated every (European) night (if there are any updated Google Apps available)
- Strong compression, allowing for relatively small downloads of even the most complete packages
- Automatic backup: It is not necessary to re-flash Google Apps when you flash a ROM update. Most ROMs support this (addon.d) function
- The installer checks your device’s capabilities, like the system partition size. It will notify you, before making any changes, if it finds any problems
- Several package variations, from a Google Super Package (includes all applications that ever shipped on a Google device), to a Stock package that equals the set of applications found on the most current and complete Nexus, to smaller, minimalist packages and an AROMA package that allows graphically selection of what to install
- A special ‘for Stock ROM’ installation mode that allows to update the Google Apps on Stock ROMs that conform to the original Google Nexus filesystem structure
- All package installations can be customized to your individual preferences using our Advanced Features and Options
I believe a big source of the problem for many GApps packages to stay up-to-date (or not be forfeited) is the lack of time for developers to do labour-intensive repetive every time a new google-app apk is released.
That is why I have taken it upto myself to write some Linux shell scripts to automate the packaging and to share these efforts with the world with the goal to create a team to continue this package together under the name Open GApps.
This project should not be managed by a person, but by a team, so volunteers willing to help are more than welcome!
Open GApps installer uses open source third-party tools, like busybox and xzdec, compiled by @YashdSaraf
; See his busybox thread
for more info.
Open GApps is originally based on the now discontinued PA GApps package of @TKruzze