FORUMS

[GAPPS][DAILY] Open GApps for Android; All Android Versions & Devices

811 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,355
 
By MastahF, Inactive Recognized Developer on 2nd May 2015, 12:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th January 2020, 01:40 AM |#6491  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
I found a simple solution when flashing latest gapps but can not boot into system , before flashing latest gapps, try to flash gapps 20200117


Sorry bad english
25th January 2020, 09:45 AM |#6492  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlinx

Easiest way is to do the following
1. Download and extract platform tools from Google's platform tools
2. Go to the folder where platform tools (adb.exe) is extracted, hold shift and select Open PowerShell here or Open Command Prompt here whichever available
3. Flash Lineage 16.0 without OpenGapps and let it boot
4. Enable Developer Settings (by pressing build number 5 times) and enable ADB
5. Connect your phone to PC and type adb devices. Make sure the device is recognized.
6. Reboot to twrp or whichever recovery you use, flash OpenGapps and reboot the phone
7. Once it gets stuck on bootloop in the command window you opened in step 2, type adb logcat -d > logcat.txt
8. Upload the file here

---------- Post added at 00:51 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------



Apparently from 20200117 onward there is an issue. One log would mean a lot for me and the OpenGapps team since I have no access to my device currently to check

I just get a waiting for device screen in command prompt.
25th January 2020, 09:03 PM |#6493  
curiousrom's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag monteverde.org
Thanks Meter: 2,585
 
More
Exclamation Boot Fail - Open GApps Android 9.0 Builds 2020-01-22, 23, 24
About the bootloop or fail to boot for Open GApps Android 9.0 Builds 2020-01-22, 23, 24 the Galaxy S5 klte + variants maintainer @haggertk who is also one the 7 directors of the LineageOS Project posted this in the LineageOS subreddit: {bold by me}

Quote:

Yeah, opengapps bizarrely develops everything on a master branch. When they merged their Q development branch into master they added some changes to default-permissions that are absolutely unallowable for <Q.

I nearly threw my phone across the room when it ran into it on an personal-use build that has gapps built-in several days ago.

Between stuff like that, then not caring about verifying priv-app permissions, and constantly breaking their trees, it's really frustrating.

***

From a post I made in this thread on December 5th, 2019 and addressed to @Nezorflame & @MNBooZe (NicholasBuse on GitHub):
  1. Hundreds of confused users are wasting their time with broken builds which adds up to hundreds of hours of wasted time.
  2. Many of them make posts about it on XDA, Reddit & elsewhere & that's bad for the reputation of the Open GApps project.
  3. This happened a couple of times recently. The general public is not a testing group.
  4. Maybe it's time to create an Open GApps testing group? Small banners & images could be made and members of that group could use them in their forum signatures for example.
  5. Why not switch to a weekly build instead of daily & test properly before launch?

While I really appreciate the work made by the unpaid volunteer Open GApps devs , it's an important & big project that impacts thousands of users & testing before release should be an essential part of the process.

If reducing the frequency of the releases is necessary because of limited testing capabilities then do it because the harm caused by releasing broken builds is too great IMO.

And why on earth are the known broken builds still available in https://sourceforge.net/projects/opengapps/files/

Edit 2020-01-26: The broken builds have been removed from the Open GApps servers.
***
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to curiousrom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift curiousrom Ad-Free
25th January 2020, 09:50 PM |#6494  
Senior Member
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 5,169
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousrom

About the bootloop or fail to boot for Open GApps Android 9.0 Builds 2020-01-22, 23, 24 the Galaxy S5 klte + variants maintainer @haggertk who is also one the 7 directors of the LineageOS Project posted this in the LineageOS subreddit: {bold by me}

And to be more specific, these two things are boot-breakers for, at a minimum, P:
https://gitlab.opengapps.org/opengap...s.xml#L326-327
https://gitlab.opengapps.org/opengap...s.xml#L394-397

Nuke them and, at least as of a couple days ago, P boots again. No, I'm not opening a pull request because I have no clue how the opengapps team wants to approach this (needed for Q, breaks things below Q) with the one branch to rule them all (and in the darkness bind them) development approach.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to haggertk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift haggertk Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 03:02 AM |#6495  
Nezorflame's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 2,397
 
Donate to Me
More
First of all, thank you for your feedback. Although harsh, it is mostly valid.

1) I'm going to pull all of the builds after the Jan 17th one, except for the Q builds which are fine now.
2) @haggertk thank you for noticing this, I'll make a test build without these permissions to check, and if it works, will incorporate a fix which will have these permissions added only for Q.
3) @curiousrom regarding your points (any opinion on this is purely mine, I can't speak for the whole team but this is how I see things):
1. Yes, users are wasting their time with broken gapps. So does everyone with broken ROMs, kernels, etc. So do I when Google decides to break something just because. This is life, **** happens.
2. I think "reputation" is a strong word. You're talking about an opensource project which is supported by a very small group of people (mostly myself, @MNBooZe, NicholasBuse with occasional help from @osm0sis and others) right now who are doing this out of pure enthusiasm without any guarantees, like most of the projects here on XDA.
I, for one, am not doing this for reputation or fame, this is a poor motivation in a world of opensource. I do that purely out of self-motivation, to keep the project going, and of the desire to have a working device with AOSP-based ROM with Google stuff.
Also I don't remember anyone making commitments about the 100% working builds all the time, daily builds have a tendency of being broken from time to time, so there's that.
3. Yes, and most probably will happen again for reasons described earlier.
4. I've already spoken to you, and wrote about it here - we are going to do that, but in order to launch a testing group and a test build workflow, we have to modify a lot of stuff:
- change the SF structure
- modify buildserver to push "test" builds instead of "stable"
- create and admin the testing group
- modify API to have some kind of "promotion" of the latest working "test" build to the "stable"
- change the website to support that separation
Assuming I'm pretty much the only one doing this stuff right now (except for the buildserver which is managed by @MNBooZe) this will take a while. And managing a separate testing community will be a very time-consuming process which someone will have to burden. I'm not sure that I'll be able to handle it per se.
5. Making weekly builds is feasible, but honestly, what does it matter? If it becomes broken, you're still left with a week-old build, much like now. Separation of the builds to the test-stable should resolve that.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Nezorflame For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nezorflame Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 05:50 AM |#6496  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezorflame

First of all, thank you for your feedback. Although harsh, it is mostly valid.

1) I'm going to pull all of the builds after the Jan 17th one, except for the Q builds which are fine now.
2) @haggertk thank you for noticing this, I'll make a test build without these permissions to check, and if it works, will incorporate a fix which will have these permissions added only for Q.
3) @curiousrom regarding your points (any opinion on this is purely mine, I can't speak for the whole team but this is how I see things):
1. Yes, users are wasting their time with broken gapps. So does everyone with broken ROMs, kernels, etc. So do I when Google decides to break something just because. This is life, **** happens.
2. I think "reputation" is a strong word. You're talking about an opensource project which is supported by a very small group of people (mostly myself, @MNBooZe, NicholasBuse with occasional help from @osm0sis and others) right now who are doing this out of pure enthusiasm without any guarantees, like most of the projects here on XDA.
I, for one, am not doing this for reputation or fame, this is a poor motivation in a world of opensource. I do that purely out of self-motivation, to keep the project going, and of the desire to have a working device with AOSP-based ROM with Google stuff.
Also I don't remember anyone making commitments about the 100% working builds all the time, daily builds have a tendency of being broken from time to time, so there's that.
3. Yes, and most probably will happen again for reasons described earlier.
4. I've already spoken to you, and wrote about it here - we are going to do that, but in order to launch a testing group and a test build workflow, we have to modify a lot of stuff:
- change the SF structure
- modify buildserver to push "test" builds instead of "stable"
- create and admin the testing group
- modify API to have some kind of "promotion" of the latest working "test" build to the "stable"
- change the website to support that separation
Assuming I'm pretty much the only one doing this stuff right now (except for the buildserver which is managed by @MNBooZe) this will take a while. And managing a separate testing community will be a very time-consuming process which someone will have to burden. I'm not sure that I'll be able to handle it per se.
5. Making weekly builds is feasible, but honestly, what does it matter? If it becomes broken, you're sill left with a week-old build, much like now. Separation of the builds to the test-stable should resolve that.


Don't get it wrong, even though it is frustrating to get blindsided by say open Gapps causing a bootloop. I am so grateful that people do take the time to make things like open gapps and custom roms. Because of the developers. You have saved me hundreds and help reduce E-waste. So take what is being said as a learning experience. I do hope to see more great work from you and other developers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phillip zanders For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift phillip zanders Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 07:38 AM |#6497  
curiousrom's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag monteverde.org
Thanks Meter: 2,585
 
More
Exclamation Broken Builds Not All Deleted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezorflame

...I'm going to pull all of the builds after the Jan 17th one, except for the Q builds which are fine now...

I am posting this because I sent you an XDA PM about it but got no reply. Do you read them?

I see that you deleted broken builds 2020-01-22 & 23 but in the 2020-01-24 folder they are still there.

Can't you keep the Android 10 builds & delete the others ASAP please?

For example in https://sourceforge.net/projects/ope.../arm/20200124/

Thanks for your time.
***
The Following User Says Thank You to curiousrom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift curiousrom Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 03:16 PM |#6498  
Nezorflame's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 2,397
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousrom

I am posting this because I sent you an XDA PM about it but got no reply. Do you read them?

I see that you deleted broken builds 2020-01-22 & 23 but in the 2020-01-24 folder they are still there.

Can't you keep the Android 10 builds & delete the others ASAP please?

For example in https://sourceforge.net/projects/ope.../arm/20200124/

Thanks for your time.
***

Yeah, I was stuck with the website not being able to pick different dates for different architectures.
Since changing it will require some time, I had to mark the 10.0 release of the 24th January as the 17th January in order to show both pre-Q builds and the Q ones.
So, for now, ignore the fact that the 20200117 build of 10.0 GApps is actually the 20200124 one
Apart from that, the defective releases are now purged. New build should incorporate the fix.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nezorflame For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nezorflame Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 03:48 PM |#6499  
Bonito77's Avatar
Senior Member
Earth
Thanks Meter: 156
 
More
@Nezorflame, thanks for all the years of your great and solid work. Your project is really one of the essential of hole modding scene. Of course there where some problems the last weeks but that's more because of the ****ing changes of google and you have to look how came out of this ***t. Thanks to you and maartenfonville.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonito77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bonito77 Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 04:25 PM |#6500  
Nezorflame's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 2,397
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonito77

@Nezorflame, thanks for all the years of your great and solid work. Your project is really one of the essential of hole modding scene. Of course there where some problems the last weeks but that's more because of the ****ing changes of google and you have to look how came out of this ***t. Thanks to you and maartenfonville.

It's OK, I've screwed up as well with testing for the older packages, and in the current state of having everything in master, bugs are very likely to happen.
We'll see if the testing workflow will help us to remedy that.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------


To everyone with the bootloop issue on P: please try this nano build for ARM64 to see if the issue is resolved: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ope...2.zip/download
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nezorflame For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nezorflame Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 08:36 PM |#6501  
Nezorflame's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 2,397
 
Donate to Me
More
OK, initial tests went fine, so the fixes are in (see https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/pull/800 and the linked GitLab MR's). Next build should be OK again.
Thanks everyone who've posted feedback on this, we'll try to do better next time.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Nezorflame For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nezorflame Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gapps, open gapps, open source, opengapps

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes